IGNORED

Most under-rated 2600 games

Red 5

Raiders of the Lost Ark. I loved beating that game because I knew I accomplished something difficult...when I was a kid at least. :)

MK

I know what you mean. I went forever without winning at that game. It wasn't until I saw the movie for the first time that it dawned on me what I was looking for to keep from falling in the map room. :)

Cap

I agree with many of the titles already mentioned, especially Reactor, Tunnel Runner, Solar Fox, Frogs 'N Flies, and Towering Inferno. Some favorites of mine:

Fast Food

Plaque Attack

Pigs In Space

China Syndrome

Fast Eddie

Star Fox

HEAVY***6***er

Ah, there are quite a few I love that seem to get either bashed or ignored altogether:

1. Starmaster (one of the best titles for the system, period)

2. Defender (yeah, it's easy and flickers like crazy, but I love it)

3. Pele's Soccer (I've always loved this one -- particularly fun in college and grad school as multiplayer after folks had gotten about a six pack in them)

4. Kool-Aid Man (Oh, yeah!)

5. Sea Quest (amazingly-good shooter for the 2600)

6. Bowling (multiplayer, in particular, is fantastic)

7. No Escape (largely overlooked, perhaps because it's not as common as sin)

8. Stellar Track (played this very same game on computers back in the BASIC days)

9. M-Network's Football (what's the 2600 doing with a football game this good?)

10. Solar Fox (very unique game for the system)

There's more, of course...

I have always liked:

1) Turmoil.

2) Tunnel Runner.

3) Crossbow

Now I know lots of people hate these games, but I always kind of liked all of the Swordquest games

5) Spider Fighter.

6) Haunted House

and a few others.

:) :ponder: 8)

Some that haven't been mentioned with tremendous replay value:

Adventures of Tron

Stargunner on harder diffuculty levels (i think this was mentioned)

Activision tennis (a true masterpiece!)

California games

I also agree that quadrun is a very addictive and challenging game in it's own right. Boing! is also a rare masterpiece.

Games like Starmaster and Solar Fox certainly aren't unerappreciated. Almost everyone seems to love them.

No one ever recognizes Encounter At L-5. The play mechanic is really weird, but a lot of fun once you get the hang of it. I think most people first "encountered" this game only in the last few years and never gave it more than a few minutes of play. Give it a few more and you might love this title as well.

I think Space Attack by MNetwork is the most underrated 2600 game. The graphics are as good as on the intellivision and it's a fairly complicated game by 2600 standards.

I can't believe Beamrider by Activision isn't in nearly everyone's Top 10. I love the way the game gets progressively harder by introducing new enemies every few levels and gives you a chance to earn bonus ships on the fly. Definitely my favorite 2600 game.

I also think Donkey Kong is underrated. It's not that I think it's one of the best Atari carts but I don't think it's anywhere near as bad as some claim. The graphics are solid, there are two different playfields (screens) and the gameplay is pretty decent (IMO). I remember looking everywhere for this as a kid and was not disappointed when I finally got it.

I think Space Attack by MNetwork is the most underrated 2600 game. The graphics are as good as on the intellivision and it's a fairly complicated game by 2600 standards.

I can't believe Beamrider by Activision isn't in nearly everyone's Top 10. I love the way the game gets progressively harder by introducing new enemies every few levels and gives you a chance to earn bonus ships on the fly. Definitely my favorite 2600 game.

I also think Donkey Kong is underrated. It's not that I think it's one of the best Atari carts but I don't think it's anywhere near as bad as some claim. The graphics are solid' date=' there are two different playfields (screens) and the gameplay is pretty decent (IMO). I remember looking everywhere for this as a kid and was not disappointed when I finally got it.[/quote']

I'd tend to agree. Space Attack is a heck of a lot of fun, although assigning "groups" of ships to attack enemies is a bit quirky. Still, that's a great one.

Beamrider is fantastic, too. Sadly, it's also a little bit hard to find.

I think Beamrider is one of the best 2600 games, too... but I don't think it's underrated. Maybe it doesn't get as much attention as Pitfall II or H.E.R.O. though.

I almost put Encounter at L-5 on my list, except it's too repetitive. It does have a great control scheme. I would've liked to have seen it used on some more games.

For Christ's sakes, LASER GATES has to be one of the most UNDERRATED 2600 games EVER!

It's a side scrolling (horizontal) shooter with serious depth and variety! Great graphics, a nice guage system, and some great obstacles to destroy and clear.

I find it odd, in this day and age where shooters are making a comeback, that Laser Gates remains the obscure title that it has always been.

Rare does not mean under-rated.

Sure, few have played Beamrider or Solar Fox or Laser Gates. But these games are loved by everyone who has given them a try. Those are three of the most respected titles in the 2600 library. Space Attack was well-reviewed and one of my favorites as well.

And under-appreciated game would be one that most people don't care for, but you find some special quality in. Donkey Kong certainly qualifies.

Could someone explain what they find good about King Kong or Amidar? Ewww.