IGNORED

Atari Trivia

14/15, 10/15, 10/10 and 4/10

I think some aspects were wrong. The 5200 was originally supposed to compete with the INTV, not the CV. The video game crash started in 1983 as far as I remember reading about.

The last quiz didn't make much sense to me so I didn't score that high on it.

I think whoever made the tests did a noble effort. More research would have yielded a better challenge.

I think whoever made the tests did a noble effort. More research would have yielded a better challenge.

I agree. However' date=' I didn't agree with the following question/answer --

How many home video game systems did Atari create?

I put six because I counted Pong. They didn't include Pong. I would consider Pong a home video game system. It might not be cartridge based, but it's still a system. That's not even including things like the XEGS.

I put six because I counted Pong. They didn't include Pong. I would consider Pong a home video game system. It might not be cartridge based' date=' but it's still a system. That's not even including things like the XEGS.[/quote']

That one got me too, because of Pong. I also missed the Number of Pac-Man games question. I only put 3 since the test seemed to have a strong 2600 bias. IMO the answer should have been higher than 5 since I consider the same title on different consoles to be separate releases.

Oh well, still fun little quizzes, even though sometimes you have to second-guess the author and put the answer you think they're looking for if you want the points. :)

I didn't even get through the first one... too many of the questions were just badly worded...

"What company began to overshadow Atari because Atari never copyrighted their games?" ??? I'm guessing the answer here is Nintendo, although Nintendo never really "overshadowed" Atari (Rather, they picked up the pieces after a nuclear winter), and even if they did "overshadow" Atari, it had nothing at all to do with copyrights. In fact, when I first read the question, I went looking for an "Activision" option.

"How many 'Pac-Man'-related games were marketed?" ??? For the 2600? For ALL Atari systems? If I was to take this literally, I would assume he means ALL Pac-Man related games, which is probably around 50 or so. The real answer ends up being 5, for reasons that can only be described as baffling. He seems to be referring to arcade games, but he still misses games like Pac-Land and Professor Pac-Man.

"Which Atari came with the large black console and was later changed to a slender silver one?" ??? I'm assuming this means the 2600... but calling the 2600 Jr "silver" is a little misleading. It had a silver stripe, but it was primarily black.

"'Double Dragon' was an Atari game, True or False?" ... well, the "correct" answer to this, according to the quiz is "True", since they released it for the 7800... although considering Activision was responsible for the 2600 version, I think this is very vague.

"Which was NOT a controller for the Atari 2600? keyboard, joystick, keypad, paddle" ??? All of these were available. The "correct" answer here is keyboard, but several keyboards were actually available.

That's enough complaining for me today...

--Zero

I put six because I counted Pong. They didn't include Pong. I would consider Pong a home video game system. It might not be cartridge based, but it's still a system. That's not even including things like the XEGS.

I'd argue home Pong wasn't a game system, personally.

System to me implies that it can be programmed with new games.

Pong is hardwired to play Pong and only Pong.

I'd argue home Pong wasn't a game system' date=' personally.

Pong is hardwired to play Pong and only Pong.[/quote']

Pong wasn't a programmable system; I agree with you on that. But it most certainly was a system. I think we've just come to associate "system" with what's been on the market for the last 20 some years, and those have mostly been programmable.

too many of the questions were just badly worded...

I was thinking the same things as you were.

If you look through the site there are some other interesting video game trivia quizzes. Neat site! I never came across it before, but I sure spent enought time there today.

I'd argue home Pong wasn't a game system' date=' personally.

Pong is hardwired to play Pong and only Pong.[/quote']

Pong wasn't a programmable system; I agree with you on that. But it most certainly was a system. I think we've just come to associate "system" with what's been on the market for the last 20 some years, and those have mostly been programmable.

I allow Merriam-Webster to make my case...

Relevent definition of system...

1 : d : a group of devices or artificial objects or an organization forming a network especially for distributing something or serving a common purpose

Pong boxes are not systems, as they are a single monolithic unit.

It just HAPPENS that adding modularity also adds programmability(actually, it's because there's no point to modularity when you can only run a specific hard-coded game).

Relevent definition of system...

1 : d : a group of devices or artificial objects or an organization forming a network especially for distributing something or serving a common purpose

According to that definition, Pong is a system. Most simply, it is a system because it collects data via the controllers (even if they are built in), processes it and distributes it visually to a monitor. There are a variety of devices working together to achieve a particular result.

I'd argue home Pong wasn't a game system, personally.

Pong is hardwired to play Pong and only Pong.

Sorry about that! Yeah, that would be my quiz (I used to be totally addicted to that website). The question is now changed to be more clear... "How many home video game systems (cartridge based) did Atari create?" :D

Sorry about that! Yeah' date=' that would be my quiz (I used to be totally addicted to that website). The question is now changed to be more clear... "How many home video game systems (cartridge based) did Atari create?" :D[/quote']

Swingtown -- Great work! Very entertaining. I was just being picky about the "system" stuff. I can see where that site could get addictive.

Jeez, some of these questions are bogus. This shouldn't be called an "Atari" quiz...

Double Dragon was not an Atari property, there are no Atari versions of Baby Pac-Man, and Atari created the 5200 (or at least the controllers) to compete with Mattel not Coleco...

Sorry about that! Yeah' date=' that would be my quiz (I used to be totally addicted to that website). The question is now changed to be more clear... "How many home video game systems ([b']cartridge based[/b]) did Atari create?" :D

Programmable systems would work too.