IGNORED

Mommy, why do cartridges die???

johnnywc

First thing I'd do would be to clean the contacts on the cart and on your 2600 using a cotton swab sparingly wetted with a 50% Rubbing Alcohol and 50% Water mixture. Make sure the contacts are dry before putting a freshly-cleaned game back in the machine, though.

I'm guessing that should do it.

Ouch! I've never had an expensive cart go bad, but over the years I've lost a Gangsters Alley, Coconuts, Enduro (Activision replaced it and sent me a free Pressure Cooker cart), Tunnel Runner, and Mountain King.

I assumed that my Tunnel Runner and Mountain King went bad because the RAM Plus thing went bad (it could be a coincidence, but two RAM Plus carts going bad?). But I have no idea why they go bad, I guess a component inside the cart burns out or something.

Thankfully I've never had one of my prototypes go bad yet, but I'm bracing for the day. It's only a matter of time...

Tempest

You know what? I had a couple of carts with the little window covered with a sticker, I can't wait for my father to send me my atari stuff that I left back in my country. One of those carts, had a voleyball game, and I couldn't find it in atariage.com...

Sounds interesting. They could be prototypes, but EPROM's have been found in some production carts as well (some Zaxxon carts for instance). I think EPROM's may have been cheaper than burning circuit boards for smaller runs of carts. Keep me informed of what you find.

Tempest

Thank you all for your ideas. I will give it a whirl tonight and post my results tomorrow...

Anyway - if I have to compromise the label to get the game open, does this seriously lessen the *value* of the game? I'm a player, but I'm also a collector. Does a working Subterranea with 2 screw holes sound better than a non-working Subterranea without?

Any thoughts are welcomed.

Thanks,

quote:

Originally posted by JohnnyWC:

Thank you all for your ideas. I will give it a whirl tonight and post my results tomorrow...

Anyway - if I have to compromise the label to get the game open, does this seriously lessen the *value* of the game? I'm a player, but I'm also a collector. Does a working Subterranea with 2 screw holes sound better than a non-working Subterranea without?

Any thoughts are welcomed.

Thanks,

Use a hair dryer to remove the label without damage it

And be careful whe you take that thing apart. I had a Spider-man cart that I had to open and as I was doing so, CRACK! one of the stupid plastic pieces broke, now I have just the board lying about. It does look rather odd just having the board sticking out of the console. (Did that to my Demons to Diamonds too, no big loss there)

quote:

Originally posted by Tempest:

[QBThankfully I've never had one of my prototypes go bad yet, but I'm bracing for the day. It's only a matter of time...

Tempest[/QB]

How much time? I never had a non working cart, not even the ones I usually pick in the thirft... looks like the carts will survive an atomic bomb!

Regular cartridges should theoretically last forever, but prototypes use EPROM's to store data. They were never meant to store this data indefinetly, it was only suppose to be temporary storage while the programmer or reviewer tested the latest code.

EPROM's (Elctronically Programmable Read Only Memory) have a little window that allows them to be erased by shining an Ultra-violet light through it (this is why they're normally covered with a sticker). This ability to be programmed and erased makes them unstable over time, and eventually they subcome to what collectors call bit rot. This basically means that somehow the code on one of the EPROM's has gotten corrupted or partically erased making the prototype worthless.

These prototypes were supposed to be used for a few weeks or so at a time (they got updated with new code frequently), but now we're pushing 20+ years. I'm amazed that they still work, but it's only a matter of before they go bad. The only defense against this is to have them dumped and re-program the EPROM's with the original code (making them good as new for a few more years). Certain environmental effects can make them go bad too (excessive heat or cold, static electricity, etc.). Contrary to popular belief X-Rays don't bother them at all (mine went through the airport just fine).

Tempest

quote:

Originally posted by Tempest:

EPROM's (Elctronically Programmable Read Only Memory) have a little window that allows them to be erased by shining an Ultra-violet light through it (this is why they're normally covered with a sticker).

You know what? I had a couple of carts with the little window covered with a sticker, I can't wait for my father to send me my atari stuff that I left back in my country. One of those carts, had a voleyball game, and I couldn't find it in atariage.com...

OsBo

quote:

Originally posted by JohnnyWC:

Seriously though - my Subterranea cartridge has stopped working! Does anyone have any suggestions for reviving dead carts? Is there an official "CPR" that I can perform? What stops a cartridge from working?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. You can send flowers, too.

Thanks,

Did you try to clean the contacts with a pencil eraser? That did a miracle in my 5200 controllers

Subterranea

1983-2001

Cause of death: unknown

A recount of the struggle to save Subterranea's life:

9/6/01 8:14PM

Well, I managed to get the label off with no major problems, thanks to the hair dryer suggestion. We're going in...

9/6/01 8:18PM

After some anxious moments, the cartridge is opened and the chip is revealed for all to see. Contacts look a little worn, but no signs of a burnout. Excellent...

9/6/01 8:24PM

Following the advice of our Atari Age friends, the contacts are first rubbed down with a pencil eraser, then rubbing alchohol with a Q-tip. All is looking well. Anxiety is being replaced with excitement...

9/6/01 8:32PM

After waiting for the contacts to dry, the moment is upon us. I carefully insert the chip into my trusty 6-switch and take a deep breath. You can cut the tension with a knife...

9/6/01 8:33PM

After a brief ceremony, it is time. With eyes peeled on the 13 inch TV screen, I gently slide the power switch to ON. Nothing.

9/6/01 8:38PM

After numerous desperate attempts to get some kind of response, I resign myself to the possibility that it's actually gone. But I haven't given up yet...

9/6/01 8:43PM

I've given up. I can't get those contacts any cleaner. I've tried every possible angle when inserting the chip. The power switch appears to be worn from the abuse it has taken in the last few minutes. I appear to be doing more harm than good, like scrubbing a juice stain on a white carpet.

9/6/01 8:46PM

After a moment alone, I give my last respects. Subterranea, may you rest in peace.

quote:

Originally posted by Scott Stilphen:

Osbo,

The only 2600 volleyball game I know of is RealSports Volleyball. Perhaps you have an import game?

I'd be interested to see pics of it when you get it back.

Yeah, that's the one I used to play when I was a kid. I remember let the game on for a good while, and something like a cat will cross the screen...