IGNORED

How to open a Commodore 64 Cart?

Here's the deal.

I have Moon Patrol for the C64. Trouble is, the board is jammed up inside the cart. I tried looking for some kind of screw, but apparently there isn't one. I can't seem to open this cart no matter what I try. And I have to get in there to get that board back to where it's supposed to be inside the cart (or just take the board out and lose the cart all together).

Any ideas how I might be able to open one of these apparently "sealed" Atarisoft C64 carts? :?

Answer: you can't without breaking it. Many Commodore carts were sealed together rather than using lugs. Daft I know, but that's the way they were done. I don't think you'll get at it without busting the case open, and I've had to do that with a Donkey Kong C64 cart that wasn't working properly.

Surely not! :o  

Are there any clips on the end that release the cart or anything similar? :?

Nope. Nothing like this. I'm afraid that MayhemUK may be right on this. Hate to break the cart... on the other hand Moon Patrol is my favorite title out of the four I have and holds a lot of memories.

*sighs*... well... where's my hammer? :sad:

Hmm thats really sad. Have you not got anything like really hot that you could

melt a slit down the side with? Because a totally cracked case would be a nightmare. :sad:

Unfortunately no. The only way that I can think of to possibly open the case without majorly damaging it would be to see if my dad has some kind of saw out in his shop that we could use to cut through the seals and open the case that way. Of course the case won't be able to be closed anymore, but at least I'll have something to put the board in to keep dust away somewhat. Better than having the entire case cracked.

Or I could just buy the game again off eBay. But last night I checked for it and no one is selling the game in cart form. :sad:

Well, as an update, the dark yet necessary deed is done.

Although I have to admit I got fairly lucky. The cartridge is still for the most part in tact. Using a sturdy butter knife, I stuck it in the open slot where the circuit board was supposed to be and pried out the plastic in there. Of course, I also had to break the bottom part of the cart off the went into the C64. But past the plastic that held the board, the cartridge is still in tact.

While I will no longer be able to use the cart as it is supposed to be, I should still be able to use it to at least keep the circuit board in so that will be protected from the elements.

Anyways, thanks for the help. I can play the game, and I didn't have to wreck the cart too bad. Now I just have to wait for some kind soul to donate (for a cheap price) a fresh new NTSC Moon Patrol to me. :D

(The saddest part about breaking this case, btw, was that the game really didn't belong to me first. It was my brother's game. Lots of memories. But... it had to be done I suppose. :sad: *sigh*)