IGNORED

Upgrade Stella? Help - thanks!

RangerG

I'm a real amateur with emulators, so here is my question. I have Stella 1.2 and it's great. However, I just noticed that the emulator has been updated to 1.4. Is there any reason I should upgrade? How do I upgrade i.e. do I need to download everything again and reread the user's guide or can I somehow just update? Any help?

Thanks,

RG

Just tried them all. They all worked except for StarFire. But then I didn't try all the bins I have for that game. There seems to be a lot of varients.

Plus it works flawlessly with http://www.sealiecomputing.com/retrozone/r...ropadatari.html

including Cosmic Ark.

Give it a shot, it's the only one I use for 2600.

Personally, Stellax 1.1.3a is what I use.  I know it's older, but it's the only emu that displays the yellows of Adventure and Seaquest as yellow and not pea soup green.  (For me anyway)

Just D/L unzip and play.

The next version of Stella (1.4) is due out "Real Soon Now". It will have the StellaX interface, and have switchable palettes so you can choose between the palette you're used to, the one used in Stella 1.2 and up, and the z26 palette.

Steve

I'm a real amateur with emulators, so here is my question. I have Stella 1.2 and it's great. However, I just noticed that the emulator has been updated to 1.4.

Actually, version 1.4 hasn't been released yet, only a test version. The full version of 1.4 is due out withing the next 2-3 weeks.

It will have the following improvements over version 1.2:

• switchable palettes
  • support for illegal opcodes
  • OpenGL support
  • event remapping
  • basic in-game GUI
  • improved digital sound support (quadrun and pitfall2)
  • a whole lot more than I can remember

Is there any reason I should upgrade? How do I upgrade i.e. do I need to download everything again and reread the user's guide or can I somehow just update? Any help?

Upgrade instructions will be included in the new Stella 1.4 users manual.

Steve

Thanks for all the help. I may upgrade with everyone else when 1.4 comes out. Then I can just read if others have problems and follow along :). So - will you upgrade to 1.4? I like Stella and thus there is no reason for me to switch to another emulator. I downloaded one of the meno programs recommended and for a tech novice like me it all works really well. One big question -- will the adaptor sold on Atariage to hook up real 2600 joysticks and paddles work on Stella (I saw it mention other emulators)? Thanks for the help. If you have bought one of these adaptors, how hard was it to install and get to work?

Take care,

RG

One big question -- will the adaptor sold on Atariage to hook up real 2600 joysticks and paddles work on Stella (I saw it mention other emulators)?

Yes, I forgot to mention in a previous email that Stelladaptor support is included in version 1.4. Joysticks, paddles, and driving controllers have been tested. This will be the first Stella version with Stelladaptor support.

See what I mean? There have been so many additions over the past year that I can't even remember them all :)

Thanks for the help. If you have bought one of these adaptors, how hard was it to install and get to work?

Plug it in and start the emulator. Doesn't get much easier than that.

Steve