IGNORED

commodore 64 Programs and acc.

Can you format an IBM disk to work on a C64?  And if not, where can I get a C64 disk?  (Besides ePay, of course)   :D

Well, yes and no... the 1541 uses standard 360k double-density disks like most older computers (including IBM PC's)... however, I'm told that using high-density disks (1.2MB) generally doesn't work well. I haven't actually tested this, since I still have some double-density disks left. Finding 360k disks is a little tricky nowadays. Blank disks usually say right on the manufacturers label whether they're DD or HD disks... but in case it's missing a label, you can usually tell by looking at the center hole. If the hole has an extra protective ring around it, then it's almost certainly a double density disks. High density disks don't seem to have this for some reason.

Give it a try anyways though. There's no way it could damage the drive, but there is the possibility that the disk could become unreliable, so make sure you have backups of any important data.

Unfortunately, the version of BASIC in the C64 isn't very well suited to disk drive access, so working with files is a little frustrating. In order to format a disk on the C64, you should use the following three BASIC commands:

OPEN 15,8,15

PRINT#15,"N:NEWDISK"

CLOSE 15

You should hear about 35 clicks from the drive, which indicate the drive head moving to the next track (there are 35 tracks on a standard C64). After this, the disk should be readable, so try getting a directory listing to see if it worked. Note that if you used the exact commands I listed, the disk will be named "NEWDISK"... you can replace that name with whatever you want, and it'll show up at the top of a directory listing.

Remember that the 1541 is only a single-sided drive, so this will only format one side of the disk... you can flip the disk and format the other side too if you want (you might have to punch a notch in the disk though, otherwise it'll likely tell you it's write protected)

--Zero

Epyx Fastload cartridges are everywhere...probably one of the most-produced C64 cart ever :ponder: With one of those, you can use shortcuts instead of the more lenghty Basic routines. And should that be scarce, other carts also have this function...like Final Cartridge #n or Action Replay.

Can you format an IBM disk to work on a C64?  And if not, where can I get a C64 disk?  (Besides ePay, of course)   :D

I've got a few boxes of Double Density disks that should work. I can send you a box or just a few disks. PM me if your interested.

Marty