IGNORED

High Score Club Week 17: Moonsweeper

Ze_ro

Game 1 would actually be harder to get the score, being I did most of my battles on the Yellow planet... well not harder, just longer. Besides, if i am not mistaken, you can adjust it to a harder level to your preference than they state the score is from. another words level 1 is standard, i can choose to go to level 4 and it'll still count. Can Todd verify this?

Yeah, sorry, my post actually didn't make as much sense as I wanted it to. :D

What I was trying to say was that the Moonsweeper scores on Twin Galaxies are from Game 1, but I made it sound like every score on TG is for the default mode of the respective game.

I'm pretty sure TG simply creates new categories for each game whenever they receive submissions, so if you had recorded your score and submitted it they'd create a new category for Moonsweeper, Game 4.

Did that make any more sense? :lol:

Neat game!

:?: Can anyone else possibly confirm this:

I have been using my blue label Moonsweeper cart. Now, it works fine on my 4 switch woodgrain console but when I try using it in my 6 switch woodgrain console, the game will work for a moment, then the score display begins to roll and there is an accompanying low pitch hum. What is up with that?

Can anyone else try this if at all possible and report their results :?

I haven't tried my regular Imagic cart in the 6 switcher yet but I'm sure it would be OK.

Anyway, just got in a few games today and the highest was in the 40K range but I didn't jot down the exact score.

I find that the Red and Yellow planets are the only ones worth landing on since they can yield the most points. I don't even bother with the Blue and Green planets, just avoid those. Mainly, because you can score 10K on the Red planet alone and gain an extra Moonsweeper. Just keep blasting EVERYTHING on the Red and Yellow planets (except the stranded astronauts of course ;) )

When you have all 6 astronauts rescued, I find that the Satellite will usually appear around the time the Accelerator Rings appear so you may want to wait and blast the Satellite instead for the big points. Once you start through the Accelerator Rings, don't push up on the joystick, simply guide your ship left and right and let the Accelerator Rings do their thing.

I don't know about the blue label game, I only have the silver label one, but i tell ya, that River Raid II does the same thing for me on my 6-switch but runs fine on the 4-switch. Sorry. I got 3 days off coming up, so expect my score to go higher.

I think the Twin Galaxies scores are for the default settings (in Moonsweeper's case Game 1).

Alright, you got me... I cheated and used the Game 1 scores. It was either that, or leave the whole entry blank, so I figured I'd at least give people something to shoot for :)

--Zero

Damn it... I had a score of 262,800 but I died and took a bathroom break... I had 4 lives left... came back, and the sun disappeared... started playing it and the game reset! 2 hrs of gameplay, and no proof that I did it... Well I'm off to bed, another tip, take too long of break in between lives and the game resets...

Man, those stupid UFO's are really annoying... even when I manage to dodge their bullets, they end up slamming right into me kamikaze style :x This game is very frustrating... but I managed to up my score to 9245. Hopefully, I can break 10k at least.

--Zero

Yowza! AMAZING score there keilbaca! :eek: All you have to do now is hope that the almighty Todd doesn't show up ;)

LarcenTyler: Do you have a link that the FAQ that you wrote on this game? I'd love to include it in the tips.

... and where is everyone this week? I accidentally forgot to update things last night, and there are only two new scores? C'mon people, the week is almost over... Even if you're not that good at the game, with so few people entered, you could manage to make the top 10 anyways! Lets see those scores people!

--Zero

I have no doubts that he is going to come, and beat my score. he always does. Thats why after I get some sleep (its 5 am here, been up all night playing this game, that game took me 3 hrs), i'm gonna go for a higher score. Sorry, I'm getting the patch this week!

A couple TIPS...

Here is an easy way to rack up points: First, land on a Red Planet. Regardless of how successful you are on the Red Planet, when you return to the Orbit screen, each Space Bullet, Aurora Flame and Photon Torch will now be worth 80 points each. This is not mentioned in the manual but apparently, the point value of these objects is related to the planet you last entered. So, if you touch the Yellow planet, the objects on the following Orbit screen will be worth 40 points, after the Blue and Green planets, 10 points, the same point value for hitting the Towers on each planet.

Having said that, after hitting a Red planet, go to the Orbit screen and while pushing up on the joystick for maximum speed, just keep nailing the Aurora Flames shooting from the Sun, leaning left or right to hit the ones that shoot off to either side. Ignore the orbiting Space Rocks and Photon Torches. The planets will be out of range so just stay in the center and guide your shots to hit the Photon Flames as long as you can stand it. At 80 points each, your score will pile up pretty fast. If you have the patience, you can do this till you get all 9 extra men then slow down to touch the planets.

I usually do this trick if I am close to my next free guy and want a minimal risk way to get that free guy. I haven't tried to just do it forever though (too boring!)

...PLEASE DON'T ABUSE BUGS IN THE GAMES! Many (2600) games have loopholes that allow you to easily get huge amounts of points without much work... Not only do these result in somewhat bogus high scores, but it ruins the fun and challenge of the game in the process. I'll try to point out "forbidden" tactics as I become aware of them, but if you happen to stumble across one that I was not aware of, please let me know!
...Having said that, after hitting a Red planet, go to the Orbit screen and while pushing up on the joystick for maximum speed, just keep nailing the Aurora Flames shooting from the Sun, leaning left or right to hit the ones that shoot off to either side. Ignore the orbiting Space Rocks and Photon Torches. The planets will be out of range so just stay in the center and guide your shots to hit the Photon Flames as long as you can stand it. At 80 points each, your score will pile up pretty fast. If you have the patience, you can do this till you get all 9 extra men then slow down to touch the planets. I usually do this trick if I am close to my next free guy and want a minimal risk way to get that free guy. I haven't tried to just do it forever though (too boring!)
Tips: :thumbsup:

ò¿ó   smiling_to_games-2.gif

Wow, I finally had a good game... 34,850, and I even took a screenshot of it this time :)

As for scumming points off of the orbit screen, I'm assuming you guys are just doing it to get that extra life you're closing in on and not getting your entire scores like that, right? Seems like it would take an awfully long time to do things that way to me.

--Zero

post-134-1091301166_thumb.jpg

My best for this week is 23,400.

TIP: When you reach 10.000 points you gain an extra life, now go into space and use your shield to drop your score just below 10,000. Shoot a flare to get back to 10,000 and get another life. Repeat. You can get all 9 of your potential extra lives doing this trick.

Cheers!