IGNORED

A Wee Hack: Gorf Arcade

dr. kwack

Thanks for the positive reviews!

I've gotten hooked on trying to make arcade conversions closer to the originals. Only problem is, I'm starting to run out of titles. Most of the best have already been done by others (Space Invaders, Galaxians, Mario Bros, etc.) and many I'd like to do are "un-hackable" (Wizard of Wor, River Patrol, etc.)

• 2 years later...
  • 3 years later...

Nice hack Doc. I had never played Gorf until downloading your hack, I played the original first, then your hack. Your hack looks better than the original. This is a very cool "invader"-type game, I really like the variety of attack waves. Anyway, again - nice work. Always enjoy your hacks.

GideonsDad

I'm of the minority that always liked Gorf on the 2600. I think this version is more challenging than the ColecoVision version and the 5200 port is just downright terrible.

Another fix is to get the ship to move up and down like the arcade version.

Also, is there enough ROM to add the Galaxians level? Can the code from Galaxian be copied (to an extent) into Gorf?

Looks good.

Hmm, could have sworn I posted to this thread yesterday but can't see my post now. I think that it would be possible to incorporate Galaxian into Gorf, reducing the number of attackers and making them more aggressive than Atari's version, adding Atarivox support, and making the whole thing a 16k game.

But I also think that doing so would take almost as much effort as just writing a new Gorf from scratch.