IGNORED

Almost got a 2600 Meltdown prototype for $1

joesmooth

If the game is halfway worth playing, I'm sure there will be a cart release from AtariAge (and a ROM release as well).

Well I don't want to get ahead of myself since we're not even sure if the game works yet, but if everything goes well I'd like to sell a cart version of it and have simultaneous rom release.

Tempest

For instance... I used to collect comic books, and even though I understood the value of Action #1, it was beyond my abilities to ever afford one.

The difference in this case is if nobody had a copy of Action #1, not even a photocopy. So nobody actually knew what was in it, other than what could be guessed from #2. Or even more like if DC or Marvel had been rumored to have started work on a new superhero series, but then the comic book industry suddenly crashed and nobody was sure if they had even finished the first issue of the new series. Right now it's like having a bad photocopy, and only every other letter of the dialog is readable.

For instance... I used to collect comic books, and even though I understood the value of Action #1, it was beyond my abilities to ever afford one.

The difference in this case is if nobody had a copy of Action #1, not even a photocopy. So nobody actually knew what was in it, other than what could be guessed from #2. Or even more like if DC or Marvel had been rumored to have started work on a new superhero series, but then the comic book industry suddenly crashed and nobody was sure if they had even finished the first issue of the new series. Right now it's like having a bad photocopy, and only every other letter of the dialog is readable.

That's not a very good analogy. I'd say that rather than a bad photocopy, the artwork was put through a shredder, so all that exists is a garbage bag full of shredded artwork.

That's not a very good analogy. I'd say that rather than a bad photocopy, the artwork was put through a shredder, so all that exists is a garbage bag full of shredded artwork.

Well, at least the garbage is good enough to verify that the game is most likely (99.9%) Meltdown. :)

There is a bug, but it has been identified 100%. Now someone is working on fixing it (might require some extra time). It's not sure, that the bug was caused by the shop owner.

To elaborate on this, it's not a software bug, but a hardware bug. We think one of the lines (the addressing line) in the eprom is broken which causes it not to work right (it can only read half the code). This explains why the prototype would not work when plugged in, and why the eprom cannot be dumped properly. The line can be fixed, but is microscopic and requires alot of skill. The prototype is now on its way to a professional who can fix it.

I will let everyone know how things are going as soon as I hear something. Don't expect to hear anything for at least a few days as the prototype is in transit, and it will take a bit to fix (you don't want to rush into a repair job like this).

Tempest

Wow! Its great to hear that there are so many skilled and professional people in our hobby. It give me hope that this proto can indeed be saved. :thumbsup:

Well, at least the garbage is good enough to verify that the game is most likely (99.9%) Meltdown. :)

Right. See, we've verified the contents of the bag. There's a label that says "Stan Lee Presents Super Vagina Force - Original Artwork" on the bag itself, and through investigating the shreds, we have indeed indicated that the contents inside are shredded pieces of original artwork. Not to mention the old advertisement from Spider-Man that verifies it was at least planned.

Right. See, we've verified the contents of the bag. There's a label that says "Stan Lee Presents Super Vagina Force - Original Artwork" on the bag itself, and through investigating the shreds, we have indeed indicated that the contents inside are shredded pieces of original artwork. Not to mention the old advertisement from Spider-Man that verifies it was at least planned.

But unlike in your analogy, we have a very good chance to restore the original content 100%.

But unlike in your analogy, we have a very good chance to restore the original content 100%.

Do you remember the television series they made out of The Flash? There was one episode where a bunch of INCRIMINATING SECRET DOCUMENTS were shredded and thrown into blue garbage bags. Using his speed power, The Flash was able to reconstruct the doments in MERE SECONDS and bust the criminal!

See, in my hypothetical world, The Flash also exists, so there is an expert who is able to reconstruct Super Vagina Force for us.

Do you remember the television series they made out of The Flash?

Nope, I am from Germany, you know? ;)

See, in my hypothetical world, The Flash also exists, so there is an expert who is able to reconstruct Super Vagina Force for us.

And in my hypothetical world, the Meltdown prototype will suddenly be fixing itself alone.

Since I've been at an uber-l33t (hee) convention all weekend hearing techno-speak everywhere I go, I'm feeling even more nerdy/curious than usual. So I have two questions:

1. How would you go about determining the addressing line was the problem?

2. What on earth would you do to "fix it" if we're talking about something microscopic in the chip internally?

1. How would you go about determining the addressing line was the problem?

That's obvious from the way the dump looks like. Every 2nd 32 bytes block is repeated twice (the first block is always missing).

If you have another explanation Tempest would like to know it for sure.

So that should mean A5 (pin 3) is floating high.  Which means it came disconnected somewhere between the chip and the edge connector.

Exactly.

Now we have to find out how to fix the disconnection. Doesn't sound impossible to someone like me (who almost knows nothing about hardware details). What do you think?

Some open-heart surgery (microprobing) to fix the wirebonds from the pin to the silicon die would work just fine, if that's where the problem is. Would require some slightly specialized equipment, though available at many universities and lucky friend's houses. ;)

Joe

Hey guys and gals,

I can save you a little time if you're having trouble with that EPROM. We bumped into the designers of the game at CGE who after some discussion gave us the rights to Meltdown and a SECOND Videa prototype for the Atari 2600 that we've never even heard of. That one's still a surprise but you can grab the Meltdown ROM here:

http://www.digitpress.com/archives/cc_meltdown.htm

BTW: Before I forget, didn't you say something about another CBS prototype  to be shown at CGE besides Wings? what happened to this?

That was TARG for the Atari 2600, which was also completed but never released by CBS! I'm working on getting that ROM out to you as well, just need to clear it with my partners.

Hi there!

That was TARG for the Atari 2600, which was also completed but never released by CBS! I'm working on getting that ROM out to you as well, just need to clear it with my partners.

Uihja! How close it it to Universal Chaos?

Greetings,

Manuel