IGNORED

Almost got a 2600 Meltdown prototype for $1

joesmooth

In the past, I've had at least one EPROM lose an address line due to plugging it in backwards.  Of course you can't program it properly after that.

More likely the problem here is a bad connection outside the chip.

I've done quite a few backwards over the years and they generally emit a light from the window for a second or 2 and then they are done. It's kind of neat to see.

I would agree it's most likely not a chip problem if an address line is stuck.

No I did not play it on a real 2600.  Sadly my 2600 is currently being repaired and my 7800 is being modified.  I tried to get it working on my Colecovision with the 2600 adapter and that did not work.  

Only one 2600?! I thought everybody kept like 5 or 6 of them, 4-switcher, 6-switcher, heavy-sixer, Sears, Jr, Sears II, I think I've got just in one closet. :P

And what no VCS adapter for 5200? I'd use that before I would the CV expansion.. I never liked the CV thing.

Only a lunatic has THAT many Atari's... oh wait I think I've got that many and more.... ;-)

Curt

I'd just like to take a minute to say a hearty thanks to Tempest and everyone else who was involved in just getting us this far.

You are doing the work of saints, and all of us fans greatly appreciate it. :)

Well said Stan we all appreciate the trouble you guys are going through

just to preserve one game. ;) Without people like you we would have never

even managed to save one proto nevermind over 50. :D

I'd just like to take a minute to say a hearty thanks to Tempest and everyone else who was involved in just getting us this far.  

You are doing the work of saints, and all of us fans greatly appreciate it. :)

:thumbsup:

By the way, Tempest, were you able do extract enough data to rule out the possibility of a mislabeled cartridge? As NovaXpress pointed out, it has been known to happen.

By the way, Tempest, were you able do extract enough data to rule out the possibility of a mislabeled cartridge? As NovaXpress pointed out, it has been known to happen.

Yes I have. The 50% that I did dump contained some Meltdown graphics and a scoring font. That was my first thought as well since one of the Planet of the Apes protos came in an Alligator People case.

Tempest

Yes I have. The 50% that I did dump contained some Meltdown graphics and a scoring font. That was my first thought as well since one of the Planet of the Apes protos came in an Alligator People case.

Tempest

Cool! :D

Now the last question remains, can you get the remaining data copied off the ROM?

Guess we'll just have to wait and see! ;)

The EPROM can't be damaged from being plugged backwards into the socked on the game board alone. You'd also have to use game, so that an inproper voltage could be applied to the wrong pin. I suppose Bruce only damaged his EPROM, because he tried to program some data onto it. For that you'd have to apply a much higher voltage to a special pin. If that accidentally goes into one of the address lines, that might cause some damage.

Um, plugging in a chip backwards DOES cause improper voltages to be applied. In particular, +5 and ground are now on the wrong pins. The line that got blown was a corner pin.

Um, plugging in a chip backwards DOES cause improper voltages to be applied.  In particular, +5 and ground are now on the wrong pins.

Sure, but how does the pinout of the EPROMs used back then look like?

E.g. with the 2732 you would "only" exchange +5V and GND, so no addressline would be affected. Isn't that a standard? :ponder:

My Thoughts:

I have followed this saga since the beginning. I don't object to the owner of the store wanting to make some money on the games he carries. Afterall he is in business to make money. If he sold the carts for what he paid for them, he wouldn't make bugger all and would go bankrupt.

One the other hand. I think it is immoral for the store to give once price and then when it is being ringed in, get super greedy(like Daffy Duck when it comes to gold) and do the old Ebay, lets see and search and find out what it's worth. If the employee behind the counter said a buck or whatever for the boxes of carts, then that's how much it should have been.

The buyer did not try and and conceal the cart, so I don't look at him as trying to scam the store.

I have shopped at a number of second hand stores and unfortuately they seem to be on the same level as the dirty old pawnshop that everybody loves to hate.

This store may be a used video game store, which is cool, but then hire employees that know what they are selling. Don't hire idiots who throw protos in with the rest of the Pac-Mans.

If it was me and knowing how second hand stores operate, that cart would have found itself at the bottom of the box of commons with it's label torn off. Why, because I cannot count on the store to honor the price they have written on the box or the price they tell me. It's called greed. Buying a cart for 50 cents of a crackhead to resell it for a grand is fine if you have the cart labelled as such. But sorry, if you have the proto thrown in with a bunch of regular carts, don't know what it is, and then see it right before the sale and want way way more than what you have it advertised for, then that is very scummy, dirty and equivilant to a craphole pawnshop.

The other thing that soudns quite crappy about this store is that the onwer went for the absolute highest price possible without thinking about how this proto could benefit everyone here at Atari Age. Hell, this store owner would have sold to Adolf Hitler or Michael Jackson if they offered 20 bucks more.

Also nice screw up with removing the chip and placing it back is such a shitty way as to damage the chip. Of course you don't care about the historical value because you are just out there to make a quick buck. You know they can't get it from anywhere else, so who cares, right?

Second hand shops have their place. But you should know what you are selling!!!

Sure, I am not kind in this post. These shops are the same shops that want to charge $10 for a stained, waterlogged, pop soaked Pac-Man cart. How about 20 bucks for a stained and sticky Combat cart that was used in a Peepshow booth?!

Ebay sellers that sell a very common Combat, E.T. , Pac-Man, or equivilant cart on Ebay and label it as RARE and stores that overcharge for carts need a swift kick in the a$$.

Lesson learned everybody. Next time put the proto or rare cart at the bottom of the pile. And if the hand written label gives it away, then tear it off!!!! and put it in your pocket to re-adhere later.

Flame away or agree.

and do the old Ebay, lets see and search and find out what it's worth

A lot of people are doing this stuff now. There are a few gaming places in Tulsa that do this VERY thing prior to buying anything. (VINTAGE STOCK)

I think it is okay for them to make money and all, as that is there business, but some Atari collectors in certain stores in Tulsa are VERY, VERY greedy. I mean, if you are a CONSTANT shopper... you visit every store they have in the surrounding area at least once or twice a week for 4 years... should they not remember you and say... 'Hey, I got another Waterworld Atari 2600 game today. Would you be interested in paying $50 for it before I try Ebay?' I mean heck... cut a fellow collector some slack! :roll:

Oh well. Maybe it is just me. But if I can get a great deal on stuff, I generally try to pass on great deals as well. True, I like to make money just as much as the next person, but I'm not at the point where I MUST turn a 300% profit to be happy.

Just my thoughts about the subject. I really hope this game can be fixed btw, I'd love to see the prototype!

:)

I have followed this saga since the beginning.

If that were true, you would have read the part where the store owner didn't even plan to sell the goddam thing yet, but couldn't resist Tempest's offer, thereby invalidating almost everything you just said.

I highly doubt the store owner would have kept it for his personal collection. If no one from here bought it he would have sold it to the other collector that he had on the phone.

If no one posted it on Atari Age thus creating an extra market for the store owner. The store owner would have simply put it on Ebay.

This store owner had no interest in preserving this cart, just getting as much money s he possibly could out of it. Hell, if I offered 20 bucks more(making it $1020) to the store owner, but told him I was going to utterly destroy this prototype and not download any of the info from it, the store owner would have STILL sold it to me.

I'm glad someone has preserved this catridge and hopefully the info on it. I just don't like how the store onwer handled it.

Oh, and do you think the store onwer will give the crackhead an extra 20 bucks as a thank-you for his $999.50 profit? NOPE!!

I did read the whole thing, but I can also read the writing on the wall.

I can only hope that the buyers retrival of the data can be completed, even though the store owner acted like a total jerk and idiot for not placing the chip more properly in the slot. Also it would be nice if the buyer of this prototype can sell enough copies to eventually get back his $1000 investment.

Sorry, to those of you who disagree with me and my harsh view of this, but in my opinion, this store owner acted like some slimy craeture from the dark bowels of an inner city pawnshop.

Steve Davis runs one of the nicest game shops in Vegas. His prices are fair, his selection is great, and he's amazing at handling the annoying little turds who come in to play card games. He'll talk for hours about his favorite games, openly allow you into his home, and speak passionately of his love of Japanese culture to anyone who will listen.

He's an average man like you or me trying to scrape by. His goal right now is to save up enough to leave this godforsaken place behind and move to Tokyo, where videogames grown on trees.

Is there anything else you want to tell me about Steve, since you obviously know so much about him?

Somethings or everyhting is this posting may or may not be true. Anything that is deemed as negative can be looked at as parody.

Well first I'll talk about the cart. The cart was probably fine till good ole' Steve carelessly rammed in the chip with dollar signs in his mind.

It's so nice that he has interests. Even the worst of the worst have interestssocially acceptable and not socially acceptable;

Let's see:

Michael Jackson: music, singing, R&B, modern dance, analog audio(he's big into recording his vocals on analog tape wheras the rest of the tracks are recorded digitally), Disney movies, neverland ranch, little kids, etc.

Adolf Hitler: Art history, modern and post modern art, painting, writing, playing with models, creating a stronger Germany, golden showers, concentration camps.

Steve the Video Game Seller: Japanese Culture, Japanese women, Nintendo, Ancient and Modern Japanese Culture, Bushi(Samurai and the way of the Samurai), bukkake, selling a 50 cent game for a $1000, rolling in $1000 worth of 20 dollar bills on his bed.

See how the worst monsters can have normal and abonormal interests. It doesn't matter if he is interested in Japanese culture or not. He overcharged for the game for what it should have been sold for.

Steve may very well be a nice guy to people he like and perhaps dislikes, but how he acted reagarding the game by greatly jacking up the price a million percent and by screwing the game up by not carefully repositioning the chip back into the slot.

Did you know that if you have some static electricity build up on your person and you touch a chip without first grounding yourself by touching something metal(to get rid of the charge) you can effectively blow or and uttely destroy a chip. Either the date on the chip will be corrupted or erased OR the chip itself with totally be ruined.

The guy who bought this prototype. Does he get any kind of warrantee. money back or partial refund due to the fact that this cart is not properly functional and has corrupted data due to Steve's actions? Is good ole' Steve going to be an all around good buy and out of the kindness of his heart, give partial refund because the cart is fu><0red? NO on both counts.

Oh and if the crackhead wants to buy a rock of whatever with the 20 bucks, let him.

Sorry but I agree with TheRedEye, yeah sure he WAS careless with the ROM

and he shouldn't have jacked up the price, But it is a proto and as this guy

is a collector himself he is entitled to have whatever he wants that has not

been sold. Also calling him a monster is rather un-called for dont you think? ;)

Oh and its P|-|u><0r3|) not fu><0red. :P j/k

speak passionately of his love of Japanese culture to anyone who will listen

:?: :?: Is the love of Japanese culture now the criteria for being a good/decent person :?: :?:

Enough off all this nonsense and back to the issue at hand, the Meltdown cartridge. Hopefully all data can be retrieved so we all benefit and more importantly Tempest get's his money's worth.

JL

P.S. 3 Cheers to Tempest :!: - for not hoarding his proto's, like some out there at other classic console websites

I find it interesting that alot of people are claiming to know what went down and are jumping to all kinds of conclusions. There are only 4 people who know exactly what went on there: Joe, Frank, Steve, and myself. We've all told our story and said our piece. Therefore the discussion is closed.

Now back to the matter at hand, the prototype. The good news is we now are pretty sure we know what's wrong with it and should be able to dump it. We will know for sure in a few days. Thanks to everyone who has kept a positive attitude throughout this whole thing and to everyone who has been supportive of me. I really appreciate it. Hopefully we will all be rewarded very shortly... :)

Tempest

Thats good news to hear, and we'll all be waiting for it! And let us know if you make carts for it, i'm interested.

First I would like to know if the game is worth at least some of the effort that is put into preserving it.

But I am a player, no collector. ;)