IGNORED

Game Idea: Lode Runner 2600

Tsukasa

Hi there!

The 7800, CV, and NES were all "second generation" consoles ;)

Agreed! :D

I just meant that I personally refer to pre-NES as classic.

It was you who talked about a 7800 version.

Um, yes, thats right.

Thanks! :ponder:

I mean, because you said pre-NES, while the 7800 is post-NES :)

Greetings,

Manuel

Them's fightin' wordz.  

Why would somebody want to play anything on a classic console for that matter?  IMO the 2600 is "the little machine that could"

I agree with you there Nukey. As with any good classic game, it would definately be cool to see Lode Runner on the VCS but it's not my first choice of what has yet to be ported. Lode Runner was available on alot of platforms back in the day but it never appeared on the VCS. I wonder why..

AFAIK, Lode Runner at that time was still a very hot commodity...spinning off into several games and solely owned by BrØderbund. A company would need to shell out some serious $$$ to get the license to it...and the home computer market was continuing to expand while the console market was drying up.

It's also possible that Broderbund simply wasn't interested in porting games to the home console market.

Supposedly they had working 2600 prototypes for Solo and Skyblazer at one of the CES shows so they obviously were going to try.

Tempest

It's also possible that Broderbund simply wasn't interested in porting games to the home console market. Atari did license "A.E." for the 5200, though, and it's puzzling to think that "Lode Runner" was passed up for that one.

According to the Digital Press guide, Lode Runner was planned by Broderbund for the 5200 and by Atari for the 7800.

The Atari 8-bit computer version could possible be converted to the 5200. The only thing that might make it impossible is the size. I know at least one version for the 8-bit requires 64K so that's out. I'm not sure how much the different screens take up in memory. If my memory is correct though, each screen was read in one at a time from disk so it might rule Lode Runner out as a possible XL conversion to the 5200. I'm not sure how the XE cart version works.

Allan