IGNORED

Remakes of Atari games

Ze_ro

This has probably been asked before, but I can't remember when, and since there's more new people around now, it might be interesting to start it up again: What games do you think Infogrames should do remakes of?

Personally, I'd love to see a remake of Combat or Battlezone (They'd probably end up very similar in 3D), or Berzerk.

And although they're not Atari games, I'd love to see remakes of Moon Patrol and Wizard of Wor.

--Zero

Well.. If anyone's interested I made a kind of amateur remake of 2600 Space Invaders for the pc using DIV. It's basically the original 2600 graphics with the sounds mixed in from the coin-op... and I also gave the invaders some "galaxian" style attacks

Screenshot

It's was just more or less a short little hobby project, and the game is faaar from finished and is still kinda buggy. I'm not sure if I will ever get around to finishing it. But it's totally playable as it is.. and fast!.. maybe too fast

Anyway, it was all done in good fun. If you'd like, try at your own risk but I think it's mainly compatible with Win9x users as it's DOS based. Also, if you do try it remember to hit ALT-X to exit.. and that's about it.

http://www.div-arena.com/dwipdev.phtml?val=27

quote:

Originally posted by ATARIPITBULL:

I would love to see a remake of Pitfall

There's actually been multiple remakes of Pitfall... Have you tried Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure? It's a regular 2D platform game, and it's actually quite fun. I believe they also made a 3D version, but I haven't played it yet.

quote:

Well, I've mentioned it before, but they ARE shopping around for someone to make a Gameboy advance Combat

I remember this discussion from a while back... didn't you say that the company that you work for was doing it? Or has that changed?

quote:

Actually, they made an awesome remake of Yars Revenge for Game boy

I actually have this game (I always seem to forget about my Gameboy). It seems more like a port than a remake though... It's a good version, but the way the screen scrolls kinda bugs me for some reason...

--Zero

Didn't somebody do a remake of Defender? I thought I heard something about that?

As for Pitfall 3-D, its on PSX and it is pretty darn fun. Bruce Campbell supplies the voice for Harry, and he's hysterical! Its been beefed up some, but all the basics of PITFALL! are there in some fashion. Its one of my fav PSX games. Side note: You can actually unlock the original PITFALL in the game.

Stan 3-D

They need to remake Star Raiders.

Atari Corp was going to do Star Raiders 2000 for the Jag, and then Hasbro was working on a Star Raiders 2000 and cancelled the project.

Infogrames should finish it off.

I think the reason these companies abandoned their projects is that they feel the need to one-up the Wing Commander type games and it's just not the right approach.

They should preserve the simplicity and immediacy of the original, and resist the temptation to make it into a CD-spooled mission-based sim like Freespace/WingCommander. They should keep the game RANDOM with one mission to defend starbases.

For starters, Activision already given Battlezone the once-over -- twice, with Battlezone, and Battlezone II. Neither of them really have that much to do with the original, though, but they're pretty good games in their own right.

Hasbro's Atari already redid Centipede, Pong, Asteroids, Breakout, Q*Bert, and Pac Man. And of course, Activision also gave Pitfall a sequel in The Mayan Adventure back in '95. Defender got a pretty good one-up on the Jaguar with Defender 2000, not to mention Defender II on the Atari ST (both of which done by the inimitable Jeff "Yak" Minter), and I doubt anyone could forget his frenetic-psychedellic Robotron sendup, Llamatron. If I remember correctly, a remake of Star Raiders (titled Star Raiders 2000) was scheduled for the Jaguar a handful of years back. I don't know what became of it, or if it had even progressed to the proto phase, however.) Montezuma's Revenge got a 3D facelift a few years back, too. Wasn't too bad, but it really didn't feel anything like the original. Rampage has gotten a few 2D improvements, the most recent being Rampage World Tour. Lode Runner's recieved a few upgrades over the years, too.

Personally, my wish list (Atari and otherwise) would be:

- Crystal Castles

- Dig Dug

- Mr. Do/Mr. Do's Castle. (Didn't really like the rest)

- Adventure

- H.E.R.O. (I was making a remake of this on the ST way back...)

- Keystone Capers

- Mountain King

- Pitfall II

- Raiders of the Lost Ark

- Spike's Peak/Ghost Manor (Yes, I liked 'em. I had this particular double-ender combo way back)

- The Swordquest series

- All the Tron games

- Tunnel Runner

- Vanguard

- Venture

- Xenophobe

quote:

Originally posted by Mindfield:

For starters, Activision already given Battlezone the once-over -- twice, with Battlezone, and Battlezone II. Neither of them really have that much to do with the original, though, but they're pretty good games in their own right.

Yeah, I have the first of these games, and I really don't see any resemblance other than the first-person perspective tank thing. There's a game for the Dreamcast called Wild Metal that I think is more like a Battlezone remake than anything else. You control a tank over fractal landscapes... you control the angle of your turret (up-down and left-right independant of your tank). There is a mission, but it's the same mission for every level, so it's not complicated. The only real problem with it is that the game is slow paced (Around 20 minutes per level), and there's not a lot of enemies around until the later levels. All this considered though, I think it's a VERY good game... most reviews will tell you otherwise though

Oh, and there's also a two-player mode, and there's a weapon that will bounce off walls, so this could also be a Combat rip-off depending on how you look at things.

- Mr. Do/Mr. Do's Castle. (Didn't really like the rest)

I remember someone mentioned a game called Adventure Mr Do! or something, and it turned out to be a laserdisc Mr Do. I have no clue how that would be done, but I guess it could be considered a remake. It was never released. There was also a game called Neo Mr. Do! on the Neo Geo, but the less said about it the better. Essentially it's the same game, but there's crazy crap like spontaneous gender changes and stuff.

To be honest, I can't imagine a remake of any of the games you mentioned... somehow it just seems like the game couldn't be redone without changing it completely. I mean, if you redid Adventure, I can't see how it would even resemble the first one except in story, and the names of the dragons (Indenture doesn't really count).

quote:

Originally posted by Raccoon Lad:

We're either doing it, but are busy with other projects right now, or infogrammes found someone else to make it.

I'm sorta glad to hear that. As I remember, you weren't too confident about your company doing a good job on it...

Oh, and another game I'd love to see a remake of (Though it has nothing to do with Atari or Infogrames) is Elite. Any game that had 3D graphics on the C-64 is an amazing feat in my opinion. Am I the only one who remembers this one?

--Zero

Journey Escape!!!! (I know it isn't their game, but I still would like a remake Ok, I'm just tired, whatever they choose to remake, I just hope they take as much care in keeping the spirit of the original games as the original programmers took in creating them. How about Miniature Golf???

• 1 year later...
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ATARIPITBULL:

<STRONG>I would love to see a remake of Pitfall</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's actually been multiple remakes of Pitfall... Have you tried Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure? It's a regular 2D platform game, and it's actually quite fun. I believe they also made a 3D version, but I haven't played it yet.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR><STRONG>

Well, I've mentioned it before, but they ARE shopping around for someone to make a Gameboy advance Combat</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I remember this discussion from a while back... didn't you say that the company that you work for was doing it? Or has that changed?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR><STRONG>

Actually, they made an awesome remake of Yars Revenge for Game boy</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I actually have this game (I always seem to forget about my Gameboy). It seems more like a port than a remake though... It's a good version, but the way the screen scrolls kinda bugs me for some reason...

--Zero

Nah, its a remake. As you get further into the game, they added new things to the gameplay, notably the Zone Guardians and the Shield Builders, as well as some of the stranger higher levels (such as the ones where the only way to get any energy for the zorlon cannon is to steal it from the shield builders), as well as teh fact you have to physically load the cannon in this version.

Whenever I play the VCS version, I play game number 6 or 7, in which you have to load the cannon as well. Strange that they would make this the default in the GB version, but it works for me. I had no idea things actually got different later on in the game! I always got kind of bored and gave up, since the game never seemed as good as the VCS version (mostly due to the scrolling). Pretty sad that I'd enjoy the VCS version more, but whatever.

(Topic: Wise fwom your gwave! :) )

--Zero