IGNORED

FS: NES Prototype Reproductions...

leonk

Hi folks! I'm surprised I haven't visited this forum before. I've always heard of AtariAge, but always assumed it was for Atari collectors only. :sad:

Well.. I'm glad to finally make it here!!

For those of you who don't know me.. I'm a fanatic NES collector and an active member on both Digital Press and CCGC (for you canadians in the crowd!)

as far as this topic goes.. if you want more info:

http://ca.geocities.com/leonki

Hey, another hardcore NES-head in T.O.! Welcome to AA, I'm sure we'll get on smashingly ;)

I really dig the idea of making these games available. The "legendary" California Raisins looks very cool. I think they may be a little too pricey for me though

I wish I could do that as well. I have a TKROM board with socket and I am able to play a few games including English version of FF2 but I can't find the original Earthbound ROM. All I can find are the hacked version to work on emulator, they don't work on the real NES. :P

It used to be easy to find needed donor NES cart but all Gamestops from Saginaw all the way south to Ann Arbor don't carry NES games anymore. :P All that's left are eBay with high shipping charge. :P

Here's a little tip..

when you visit my web site, you'll notice a link to sites in the name of each cart. Most of those links will direct you directly to the ROMs!

Like I posted in my original web site.. I'm not selling the ROMs, I'm not selling the labels. All I'm selling is the carts + my time/work.

And yes.. Toronto rocks! Except it's dry as the desert when it comes to classic gaming.. too many darn collectors out there! :D

:D

Take it easy with those eproms.. one wrong twist (while you swap between FF2 and EB back and forth) and it's game over!

That's why all the carts I make have the eproms soldered to the PCB and the game is fully closed. Works in any NES system without a need to hack the heck out of it in order to get the proto cart to fit! (unless you have a top loader, but then you still have the EPROMs exposed!)

Genesis should be easier because they didn't use fancy mappers like NES did. It's a matter of finding a Genny cart that uses DIP chip and not the black blob and has the correct pinout (ie 16Mbit game won't work on cart originally for 8Mbit) and there's the matyter of save RAM.

I do not have the specs of Genesis cart so I don't know what needs to be done to make it EPROM friendly but 2 Megabyte (16Mbit) eprom isn't cheap and not many programmer can handle EPROM over 8Mbit.

I checked a few Genesis cart that didn't use save feature or any special features. All has 42 pin chip so I think the ROM are 16 bits. 16 bit EPROM do exists but I'd need to get an adapter for my EPROM programmer and find a cheap source of 16 bit EPROM.

I found a donor Genesis cart to try and experiment with (it's a no name baseball game from '92 or '93 and is probably not even worth the cheap mail rate).

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update to the list of available games.. now available: Final Fantasy 3!!

ff3_1.jpg

ff3_2.jpg

ff3_3.jpg

ff3_4.jpg

As far as I know, this game was never available in North America as any release! It's fully translated to English and works great!

The game itself is HUGE (uses 4Mbit EPROM chip!) and requires 2 donor carts to be produced! (1 donor cart for the PCB + 1 donor cart for the extra RAM chip!)

As always, click on my sig for more info.