IGNORED

7800 Rescue on Fractalus

Curt Vendel

Then how are the emulators getting it right?

Are there any emulators that are getting it right? If you are looking at the emulator screenshots on the Fractalus page here on AtariAge, you'll notice that only 8 double-scanlines at the top and bottom of the landscape display are there. The lines in the center are missing completely. This is because the extra RAM wasn't emulated when the screenshots were taken. If you enable the extra RAM support in MESS for the Fractalus ROM, you'll probably get the same display with every second line missing that you are getting on the CC2 in 78SC_R16 mode.

The 8 double-scanlines at the top and bottom are displayed correctly on a real 7800 as well no matter if you have extra RAM at $4000-$4FFF or not. I think this part of the landscape display gets stored in the 7800's internal RAM. But we'd have to have a closer look at the disassembly to find out for sure.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg

Ah, now I see. The difference was that when I first ran it, NOT on an emulator, I had bus float to work with. An emulator generally isn't going to emulate the subtler electrical effects of bus float. So instead of a solid orange band, I had a mostly orange band with some vertical stripes and a few flickery pixels. I didn't see that crap on the emulator screen shot and didn't realize that I shouldn't have. Now that I've looked back at the original picture, I see the orange band.

That's certainly a damn cheap-ass way to do line doubling. So if the CC2 was to have a bank switch mode to run RoF properly, it would have to somehow mask out A8 from RAM accesses. I'm not sure that it even has this level of control available. I wouldn't be surprised if A0 through at least A8 of the RAM were directly connected to the address bus.

And I'm not sure how one would go about patching the code to work the "right" way. It was probably done this way for speed reasons. It *might* be possible to do a whole bunch of OFFSET=0 or OFFSET=1 display lists, if that doesn't run afoul of the 512 byte maximum DLL. But then the rollbar graphics DLs would have to be redone.

The wierd RAM mapping probably played an important role in killing this title. 1) at some point, Atari issued a "no RAM" edict for new 7800 games, and 2) it would have needed a custom cartridge board made, where the A8 line didn't go to RAM. No way would Atari have gone for such custom stuff when they were convinced that the video game market was completely dead.

This one should be less ugly for CC2 folks. The reset warp is almost perfect, and the main viewscreen now only has orange lines in the sky.

Includes .bin, .a78, and .asm based on a disassembly with all address references changed to H() and L() for ease of code changes.

CC2 info:

Fractalus (cleaned up) / rescue2.bin / 78SC_R16 / 78BIOS / 816C450B

rescue2.zip

Okay, I found the fix to the warp screen that I overlooked, but it's not important enough for a new upload.

But I thought I'd mention that after watching this thing before the patch, it's clearly double-buffering the viewscreen. The unitialized RAM was switching back and forth between two different random patterns.

So what kind of speed is this thing getting anyhow? 4-6fps?

Well, I was testing it out a little earlier and I decided to try it out with a keypad but there was no response. A second joystick didn't affect anything either nor did the difficulty switches. Pause worked and Select seemed to drop it into some kind of an unfinished screen. The Reset button or the player one primary joystick button worked to start the game but neither joystick button worked in the game.

I tried looking at the disassembly to see if anything was coded but not "turned on" yet but I really have no idea what I'm looking for, I thought I'd ask some of the real coders. Is there any sign of a second controller like a keypad in there? Or any sign of a Pokey chip being referenced?

Mitch

I tried looking at the disassembly to see if anything was coded but not "turned on" yet but I really have no idea what I'm looking for, I thought I'd ask some of the real coders. Is there any sign of a second controller like a keypad in there? Or any sign of a Pokey chip being referenced?

Mitch

Pokey goes at $6000. No references to $600x anywhere. Also no reference to sound except for clearing AUDV0 and AUDV1 to zero.

The right joystick is completely ignored. The left joystick fire button doesn't seem to do anything except start the game going, and that's only if you have a Proline or other 2-button stick.

For those wondering what you can do in it, you can 1) zoom around the map a lot, trying to fly toward the bases and grounded ship (the right radar display shows the grounded ship), and you can 2) watch the blinkenlights. Because it's only a nice demo. If you don't do anything, it starts turning the ship on its own. The messages probably don't correspond to anything and are probably random.

The clock and frame counts in the upper right corner let you compute the frame rate, which is around 6fps. That's not bad for a 6502 doing barebones 3D rendering during the time that the video chip isn't hogging the bus.

Pokey goes at $6000.  No references to $600x anywhere.  Also no reference to sound except for clearing AUDV0 and AUDV1 to zero.

I assume you mean the Pokey would have gone at $600x. (Thus the no references to $600x.) So unlocking the Pokey at this address would not help.

Chad

• 19 years later...

image.png.32780a58cf7f4fa2e67e1491a9159ce0.png 

In case anyone views this old thread and is confused about the POKEY reference, POKEY is at $4000 for Ballblazer and Commando.  It would have been present at that address for RoF as well, if leveraging POKEY was intended.

There is no POKEY@$6000 ever utilized.

There is an alternate dump of RoF, but nothing further respecting game programming completion.   

A corrected header: In the case of this game, instead of POKEY@4000, Mirrored RAM@4000 is present, and not accounted for correctly until relatively more recent years.

Both of the aforementioned dumps are a part of the PROPack, and posted here for convenience:

Rescue On Fractalus (Prototype) (xx-xx-84) (9A74FBF2).a78

Rescue On Fractalus (Prototype) (Alt 1) (xx-xx-84) (ABE19E33).a78

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, oky2000 said:

I noticed somebody had made some boxes for this, is it just the prototype version or did somebody later go in and add to the prototype game hence the box for it?

Marc O has a box on his Etsy site and the back of the box mentions the unreleased prototype.

• Like 1