IGNORED

8k Haunted Adventure II - Redemption

atwwong

If it is failing 50% of the time at start up, then that means there is a bit somewhere that is not getting initialized to the value you assume. Make sure all the game flags are being set/cleared as needed and all of them are being written to at boot up. I suspect that the flag needs to be 0 and is sometimes coming up 1, then you have to turn the unit off and wait for some time for the latent charge in the bit latch to dissipate.

One more thing to check. Make sure for all LDA, and LDX and LDY instructions that when you mean to use immediate mode there is a # in front of the number otherwise the code will read whatever value is in that z-page memory location. That could cause the same problem if the memory location sometimes has the value you were trying to load (usually 0).

Likewise make sure that everytime you load a value from a zeropage location, that you did not proceed it with a # symbol as that would cause an immediate mode load. That sort of error is less common since most memory locations are referred to with labels instead of literal values.

Cheers!

Rob

Thanks Rob! With any luck, it's probably one small portion of code that I'll have to find. It's funny how, according to my source, the code works 100% of the time with four switch Atari's and only partially with six switchers. I did not realize the difference in the roms or circuitries of the units would make such a difference. :ponder:

... the code works 100% of the time with four switch Atari's and only partially with six switchers. I did not realize the difference in the roms or circuitries of the units would make such a difference.  :ponder:

Just like how River Raid II won't work on a Heavy Sixer

If it is failing 50% of the time at start up, then that means there is a bit somewhere that is not getting initialized to the value you assume.   Make sure all the game flags are being set/cleared as needed and all of them are being written to at boot up.   I suspect that the flag needs to be 0 and is sometimes coming up 1, then you have to turn the unit off and wait for some time for the latent charge in the bit latch to dissipate.
I have the feeling that omitting the SEI and CLD instructions at reset caused occasional start up errors in six switchers and not four switchers. Newbie error... :P :? Waiting for the jury to report.

The first preorders for Haunted Adventure II - Redemption are being readied to be shipped, just in time for Halloween! :D

Remember, folks, ALWAYS use SEI and CLD in your initialization routines! :P ;) Here's the scoop!

We've got it!  I have thoroughly tested v29 and it seems to be just fine...  Please give me the go ahead and I'll start making the carts.

The cart is now compatible with six switchers, four switchers, and jr.s. I'll now be taking more preorders since the carts have been tested and are working properly. For cart and manual preorder information, follow this link: More Haunted Adventure II info!

Cheers!

atwwong :D

Here are the Final Haunted Adventure II - Redemption Files, some cart & manual photos, and updated ordering information.

See attachments below for the following files:

Haunted Adventure II - Redemption Packrat Video Games Binary

This is the binary that is shipping with the cartridges produced by Packrat Video Games (V.229). It is compatible with all Atari VCS's using 8k EPROMS and multicarts: 8kHA2229.zip

The Haunted Adventure II - Redemption Text Manual REV 1.02 has been updated to credit those who helped with the final stages of hardware testing: 8kHA2MANUAL-v102.zip. The printed manuals that are shipping with the carts have been updated to REV 1.2 as well.

Packrat Video Games has done a masterful job of producing the Haunted Adventure II carts and manuals.

You can order Haunted Adventure II now by sending me a Private Message with your e-mail address. I have updated the ordering info on the Haunted Adventure II web site.

Happy Halloween!

atwwong :)

8kha2manual_v102.zip

post-32-1098696631_thumb.jpg

post-32-1098696632_thumb.jpg

post-32-1098696633_thumb.jpg

8kha2229.zip

• 3 weeks later...

Nukey has helped me to fix the screen rolls, which are only visible on the actual hardware due to timing differences in the EPROMs. :x

We are also working on some additions. :twisted: When it's finished and fully playtested, it will be ready for the Special Edition release! Everyone who already received a cart will get a new one, free of charge, once they're ready.

• 2 weeks later...

NO ROLLS ON REAL HARDWARE!!!

I want to keep the new features a surprise for the cart owners, but it will be worth the wait! The latest posted binary will give you a good idea of the gameplay, but now there is more ;) I'll let everyone know when the Special Edition is all ready; should be soon! :D

I feel like a broken recorder ;) , but I'm sponsoring a box design contest for the Special Edition Pack. The winner of the contest will receive a boxed special edition set of the Haunted Adventure series. See the contests forum for more details here:

http://atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=61061 and enter your artwork!

Kudos to atwwong of making this and everybody that helped with this game!  8)  

Everybody order a copy of this limited release today, before they are gone!

Thanks Gateway! I hope everyone involved had fun making this and putting up with my strange personality! One thing I need to clarify is that I wasn't planning on having a limited release. People have asked me if it's too late to order the special edition. It's SPECIAL, not LIMITED. ;) As long as people are interested, the carts, manuals, and soon to be released boxed edition will be available.