IGNORED

Is it possible ... ?

Retrofan

But not more flicker than the original VCS port by CBS?

The biggest problem with the old version is that there doesn't remain borders between tunnels that are close to another, it remains no labyrinth. I like the way Atari did it in DigDug (very good port) much more. My mockup screen uses features of both VCS DigDug and VCS Mr.Do! with some nicer graphics (I think so) but not more sprites or colors (except the player).

The 5 cherries in a row are no problem?

In theory, would it be ok to use only every second line for the background?

But not more flicker than the original VCS port by CBS?

No, it should be about the same.

The 5 cherries in a row are no problem?

No, up to 6 in a row sprites can be displayed without any flicker, but there are quite some restrictions. I suppose Mr. Do already does it this way and it therefore should work here too.

In theory, would it be ok to use only every second line for the background?

Hard to say without having written any code. Maybe.

I just thought your mockups for Solomons Key and Dino Eggs where more *interesting*, as Mr. Do is already available on the VCS.

Where would I find these?

There's so many gaps in the 2600 library to fill, why redo an existing title? :)

My answer to that would be because one loved the game so much and the current attempt was so bad. Then again if someone were to hack a certain game into a better version... ;)

Hi there!

I just thought your mockups for Solomons Key and Dino Eggs where more *interesting*, as Mr. Do is already available on the VCS.

Where would I find these?

Dino Eggs

Solomon's Key

My answer to that would be because one loved the game so much and the current attempt was so bad. Then again if someone were to hack a certain game into a better version... ;)

Hehe ;)

Greetings,

Manuel

It's exactly this! The CBS version isn't fun. You can't make tunnels and pits for the enemies. The original Mr.Do! is one of the greatest arcade games (right after Ms. PacMan and Defender, my opinion) and it is sad that there isn't a good conversion for the 2600.

And why making 3 other (better) versions of Pac Man when there is a VCS port? ;)

And why making 3 other (better) versions of Pac Man when there is a VCS port? ;)

I have asked myself this question many times and it was answered recently with...."Yeah, why? The others (especially the current hack) are good enough"

My VCS Pac-man project status....CANCELLED

It's exactly this! The CBS version isn't fun. You can't make tunnels and pits for the enemies. The original Mr.Do! is one of the greatest arcade games (right after Ms. PacMan and Defender, my opinion) and it is sad that there isn't a good conversion for the 2600.

Because the VCS port sucks and is totally unlike the arcade game...but you knew that :)

If somebody is obsessed enough about Mr.Do!, a better version will come along :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
All mockups on one page:

http://www.haddewig.de/vcs/index.html

Bumping an old thread, but I had some free time and played around with my own mockup version of Mr. DO! for the VCS (based on Retrofan's mockups)

Basically, I just tried to make it look even closer to the arcade version.

post-218-1227133902_thumb.png