IGNORED

5200 vs. the NES

RangerG

Hey Drac,

Boy, was I WRONG! :( (overuse of emoticons on this thread!) I have a working Master System in my basement (inherited from my brother-in-law), but I had no idea that games went into production all the way through the mid-90's! I found some screenshots online, and I think this blows away (graphically) anything the 5200 could do. The site said the gameplay was pretty lousy, but that's another discussion...I've never played it, obviously.

I think my wife's family must've stopped purchasing games for the system back in the late 80s. We have games like Rambo, Action Fighter, Zillions, Double Dragon, Ghostbusters...probably the first games made for it? I also accidentally stepped on the light gun and sorta broke it.

When was the SMS released, anyway? I know it was supposed to be the rival of the NES. I don't know how popular the SMS actually was, but I do remember it being advertised a bit. Also, when did the Genesis come out? There must've been some overlap between Sega's two systems.

Hey Drac,

Boy, was I WRONG!  :( (overuse of emoticons on this thread!)  I have a working Master System in my basement (inherited from my brother-in-law), but I had no idea that games went into production all the way through the mid-90's!  I found some screenshots online, and I think this blows away (graphically) anything the 5200 could do.  The site said the gameplay was pretty lousy, but that's another discussion...I've never played it, obviously.

I think my wife's family must've stopped purchasing games for the system back in the late 80s.  We have games like Rambo, Action Fighter, Zillions, Double Dragon, Ghostbusters...probably the first games made for it?  I also accidentally stepped on the light gun and sorta broke it.

When was the SMS released, anyway?  I know it was supposed to be the rival of the NES.  I don't know how popular the SMS actually was, but I do remember it being advertised a bit.  Also, when did the Genesis come out?  There must've been some overlap between Sega's two systems.

The original SMS came out in 1983 (as the Mark III) in Japan, as the Master System in 1986 in the US. The Genesis first appeared in 1989.

The Master System is interesting in that it tanked in North America, fighting for a very distant second place spot with the 7800 while the NES had the lead. However, in Europe, the market began to take off around the same time as Nintendo's controls over game development were starting to wane.

The result was that the SMS was the lead 8-bit console in Europe and also really popular in Australia and South America, while the NES still led in North America and Japan. Because the SMS and GameGear were basically the same architecture, games that were programmed for the GG in North America, were usually released in Master System format in Europe as well.

All told, of the 300 or so titles released for that system, only a third got released officially in North America. However, because the SMS is also one of the few consoles where the same cartridges work worldwide (in almost all cases), you can play those Euro titles on an NA SMS.

In North America, SMS development was pretty much over by 1991. But in Europe and South America, I believe games trickled out for at least another five years.

I was a MasterSystem fan for a while in the early 1990s right when everyone was starting to forget about it. I had always wished for a copy of Sonic The Hedgehog for the SMS and I was jumping for joy when I realized there was a European version released. If you look on ebay or overseas you will find many great titles for the MasterSystem.

Too bad the 7800 couldnt kick up a fuss overseas too as the ST did.

The 5200 could EASILY take the nes, just look at

http://numen.scene.pl/?f=n2

how many nes games were there with solid 3d running maps off a modified build engine?? hmm ?

The 5200's display is much more flexible and programmable than the nes, and it has a higher color pallete. With larger cart sizes and on-cart ram or even on-cart who-knows-what (like the nes had,) there really is no contest.

The 5200 could EASILY take the nes, just look at

http://numen.scene.pl/?f=n2

how many nes games were there with solid 3d running maps off a modified build engine?? hmm ?

The 5200's display is much more flexible and programmable than the nes, and it has a higher color pallete. With larger cart sizes and on-cart ram or even on-cart who-knows-what (like the nes had,) there really is no contest.

Unless you want to create a really sophisticated side scroller like Super Mario 3, have 16 colors on screen at once at 256 x 240 resolution and five voice sound.

We had a long discussion about this in the 7800 forum as well. I'm of the belief that saying "X is unilaterally better than Y" is not the right way of thinking. Each system has certain strengths where its architecture succeeds.

"...nearly perfect portion of the great Super Mario Land on Nintendo.... colourful graphics,  

beatiful animations and lots of levels bring you an amazing Jump and Run game ...

This game is one of the best of it's kind!" ( User MAG `92)

"Best Mario Brother - portion on XL/XE ever made!" ( Bit Power 2/91 )

The game is called monster hunt, and iirc there was even a monster hunt 2.

some pics.

post-1570-1095039126_thumb.jpg

post-1570-1095039127_thumb.jpg

Ill have to fire that one up :)

As for teh Numen stuff, I dont think the 5200 can handle that due to memory restrictions - I think only the XL/XE computer line can do that, but there is alot more the 5200 could do that was left untapped at the time.

The NES is a better game machine but thats not to say the 5200 couldnt compete.

Okay I have a question...

The last thing I would want to do is sound "anti-7800" by any means... but if the 5200 is capable of NES-like games and beyond via more ram on the cartridge, why didn't Atari just begin to develop games of that stature, along with releasing a "redesigned" 5200 joystick that actually worked right, and lower the expense of the 2600 adapter, instead of sinking millions into the development of the 7800?

In other words, why ditch out on a system that was capable of so much more if it was only a question of more ram?

When atari was developing the 7800, the nes was not even an issue. They were trying to squash the next generation competetion at the time (the coleco, for example, (which is pretty similar to the gb/nes imho, ironically, though weaker (but not by a lot,)) If the 7800 had come out when it was originally finished, I'd wager things would have played out quite differently in the U.S. video game market. But who knows, maybe by then it WAS too late and Atari was smart for having ganked the 7800...

I mean obviously the 7800 was more compact, more simple, and had the Maria chip to power graphics to arcade standards, not to mention out-of-the-box reverse 2600 compatibility.... but if the 5200 was capable of so much more, why wasn’t this harnessed? And for that matter, the XL & XE line should be capable as well as it is similar architecture. I mean this raises the question...wtf?

My only guess is that by the time the NES was making a dent in the market Jack Tramiel had taken over and didnt want to spend money on developing software. Tons of games were kept to 32k or under because he didnt want to spend. With the NES and other systems making hyperexpensive games that took up nearly five to ten times that amout of memory, maybe Jack just said screw it.

Hello,

Monster Hunt was released in 1992 (Machine Language / Germany).

There is also a clone of Super Mario Bros on the XL/XE called Bros by KE-Soft (Germany - this one is programmed in Turbo Basic).

Look at these links from Atari Mania:

http://www.atarimania.com/detail_soft.php?...FT_LIB&SENS=ASC

http://www.atarimania.com/detail_soft.php?...FT_LIB&SENS=ASC

AB.

Ferris -- I agree with you in that in seems like they abandoned the 5200 way early. With redesigned controllers and a commitment to the 5200, it could have competed much longer. Atari had so many consoles released and that it was supporting (2600, 5200, 7800, XEGS) that no one could compete effectively. Also, I agree that the size and price of the 5200 may have been an obstacle to it selling and here the 7800 may have had a better chance at being bought. However, what about the 5200 Jr.? The prototypes are a nice size (small, but - not cheap looking).

Just think - an affordable 5200 Jr. sold with redesigned controllers with Atari focused on supporting 5200 games!

yes, the 5200 is 8 bit. It is a keyboard-less atari 800. As far as the numen demo and ram goes, the 5200 could easily have what extra it needs on cart, just like the nes does.

Actually a keyboardless 400 ;) - I dont think the 5200 internally can hold what Nueman requires - that my $0.02 based upon what others have said about XE Super Cart games being converted to the 5200.

The problem with putting anything into a 5200 cart beyond ROM is that the 5200 engineers in thier infinite desire to pinch a penny didnt put clock or r/w signals on the cart port. Even the rom select is dodgy.

Any ram on the cart would have to be written to the same way 2600 cartridges with RAM are. :x

Steve