IGNORED

5200 vs. the NES

RangerG

RangerG- I couldn't agree with you more. While I would never trade off the 7800's existence for anything, it seems as if the 2600 could have been absorbed into the 7800 line, and the 400/800 computer software could have been brought onto the 5200 via an adapter, allowing the 5200 to have a real fighting chance. The XEGS never should have been... with the 5200 essentially being the same thing, they should have simply released a keyboard for the 5200 along with the 7800 and there never would have been a problem. Those four systems would instanly be cut down to two with the 2600/7800 being one line and the 5200/XL-XE being the other.

However, those BROS games don't hold water to the NES. Put the two next to eachother and its clear why people chose the NES over the 5200... heck, the ColecoVision sometimes looked a heck of a lot better than the 5200. Thats what really gets under my skin.

Even though I personally prefer Atari systems for personal reasons, I would have to say that the NES is easily the winner when compared to the 5200. Even though some people have managed through great effort to create reasonable reproductions of NES games on the the Atari, arcade quality graphics are a piece of cake on the NES.

The Antic/GTIA combination is very flexible, but the color depth of the underlying system presents a major programming obstacle. Basically, you get 4 colors if you're willing to work with a 160 across mode, and monochrome (one color in 2 shades) in the 320 mode. Your sprites are 1 color each. The hardware is a blast to bang on, but rather bland when used in a straightforward manner.

The 7800 could have been a much more formidable opponent to the NES.

By the way, there seems to be some confusion about the history behind these systems. A quick synopsis:

-Nolan sold Atari to Warner for the money to provide a better launch for the 2600.

-Warner's Atari was then responsible for the development of the 400/800 chipset.

-Warner converted their computer platform into a game system (the 5200) in respose to Mattel's Intellivision.

-When the 5200 sales slump, General Computer Corp is enlisted to design a new system that is compatible with the 2600 (the 7800).

-Atari is losing $2 million a day, and is sold to Jack Tramiel (recently ousted from Commodore) who is uninterested in game systems and cancels the launch of the 7800.

-In light of the NES's success, Jack later pulls the 7800 off the shelf and sells it as a budget system to try and raise cash.

-Bry