IGNORED

Atari Flashback Unit

Trip_Cannon

IMO, the absence of a cartridge slot is a NON ISSUE. If there was one, THAT would be odd. I mean, really, who out there besides crazy collectors such as us even have any of these carts anymore? I mean, we're talking old, old, old, old stuff that the vast majority (to whom this machine is targeted) abandoned long ago.

The reason some of us want it to at least be hackable for a cartridge slot is simple. Because that would mean that they could be hacked into portable units.

I think this console is an ok idea, but it could have been a must buy for most AA members if it included the following:

A cartridge slot to plug in future 20 (or more) in 1 cartridges.

A menu for the games so you can select the one you want to play easily.

A high score save function.

A combined joystick/paddle controller with pause and reset buttons.

Now that would be worth 50 bucks.  :)  

Jeff

$50 bucks, $50 BUCKS!?!

$50 BUCKS!? That ain't nice! ;)

Couldn't the mods merge all these threads into one or lock the least used ones?  :?  :ponder:

Yes, there are many threads, unfortunately there is now way to merge them. However, things will die down soon enough, it's not a big deal that there are several threads except that it can be confusing to follow the conversation in each thread about the same product. :)

..Al

Couldn't the mods merge all these threads into one or lock the least used ones?  :?  :ponder:

Yes, there are many threads, unfortunately there is now way to merge them. However, things will die down soon enough, it's not a big deal that there are several threads except that it can be confusing to follow the conversation in each thread about the same product. :)

..Al

Hey Albert! Now that there's a new "Atari Console" are you going to be on ther Site's Store and if so how much it will cost? Also If this IS a new unit are you going to add it here at AtariAge and if so then how will it be part of this site and in what name under?

2600 | 5200 | 7800 | Lynx | Jaguar | Flashback | Forums | Store

Where is Scrapyard Dog? Where is Ninja Golf? Where is Midnight Mutants? Why not do more with Bentley Bear? When can we plug existing cartridges into it? Why did they let Atari brand it with the "new" bastardized Fuji and not the legitimate logo?

On the other hand...

Thank God for pause & select on the joystick. Thank God for 7800 titles. Thank God for a legitimate 2600/7800-based console without emulation. Thank God for a 'true-to-Atari" navigation menu. Thank God for Crystal Castles, for Sabetour, for Solaris, and for Yars Revenge. Thank God there was one drivin individual out there who could get the new Atari to put pen to paper on this Flashback deal.

...and thank God someone out there still adores the beauty and timeless sophistication of the 7800's design.

Where is Scrapyard Dog? Where is Ninja Golf? Where is Midnight Mutants? Why not do more with Bentley Bear? When can we plug existing cartridges into it? Why did they let Atari brand it with the "new" bastardized Fuji and not the legitimate logo?

On the other hand...

Thank God for pause & select on the joystick. Thank God for 7800 titles. Thank God for a legitimate 2600/7800-based console without emulation. Thank God for a 'true-to-Atari" navigation menu. Thank God for Crystal Castles, for Sabetour, for Solaris, and for Yars Revenge. Thank God there was one drivin individual out there who could get the new Atari to put pen to paper on this Flashback deal.

...and thank God someone out there still adores the beauty and timeless sophistication of the 7800's design.

Who says its not emulated and using a new 2600/7800 chipset?

As for other 7800 titles... Sometimes extremely tight deadlines and limited memory can limit what manufactures can do under the gun to get a product out the door for the holidays and at the right price point, even though the press release says $45, thats a MSRP which means it should be on shelves for about $35, perhaps $32.99 at Walmarts as they usually have the most aggressive pricing...

Curt

I was told that this was NOT emulated stuff that this was the real thing.... that even a well-known 2600 programmer was involved to make sure that all the original easter eggs were included. Is this incorrect??

Unless I find out otherwise, I'm going to assume that it's easier to get Planet Smashers in there if they use the real hardware. It's not like it existed as C code or something they can tweak and recompile. It would be MUCH more difficult to convert or "port" PS to something with an NES style graphics chip, given how unique the 7800 video hardware is.

I'd also like to believe that those folks who went and did VHDL designs of the 6502 and TIA chips didn't just disappear after being visited by Men In Black and that these mini-consoles are the mysterious commercial projects that they got approached by.

I'd also like to believe that those folks who went and did VHDL designs of the 6502 and TIA chips didn't just disappear after being visited by Men In Black and that these mini-consoles are the mysterious commercial projects that they got approached by.

Are you talking about that marketing guy who came on here last year looking to find people who could help reverse engineer the 7800 because he was intending to re-release it? I wonder if this is what they were up to.

I hope Saboteur will still be available in cart form through AA. :)

I know, I already posted this in the Classic Gaming Forum

And it has also been posted in the 2600 forum :roll:

Don't forget to read the rules of the forum ;)

Spamming

2) Repeatedly posting the same message in multiple forums in an attempt to get "wider exposure". We will delete any duplicate threads of this nature, so please don't waste our time by doing this.

Yeah yeah... everybody wants to be a moderator. ;)

It's exciting news! Pretty big if you ask me! That and I posted it first! :twisted:

If you take a look at the screenshots, Centipede and Asteroids are both the 2600 version.

It's hard to tell right now whether these will be any good or not, I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Mitch

I don't know what screen shots you saw, but if you click on that link at the top and select 'classic console' on the left-side menu, then click on 'more info' by the picture of the Atari Flashback, it will then take you to this page(link below), which shows a pic of 7800 centipede, and at the bottom it tells you EXACTLY what games/versions are on the console. 5 7800 titles including Asteriods, Centipede, Planet Smashers, Desert Falcon and Charley Chuck's Food Fight.

http://www.atari.com/us/games/atari_flashb...6acaa09c6f7d530

It's exciting news! Pretty big if you ask me!  That and I posted it first!  :twisted:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.p...ghlight=#694568

Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:07 pm

http://www.atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.p...ghlight=#694562

Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:53 am

:P

(though on further review, i probably should've posted it in classic gaming since it's not 2600 exclusive)

If you take a look at the screenshots, Centipede and Asteroids are both the 2600 version.

It's hard to tell right now whether these will be any good or not, I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Mitch

I don't know what screen shots you saw, but if you click on that link at the top and select 'classic console' on the left-side menu, then click on 'more info' by the picture of the Atari Flashback, it will then take you to this page(link below), which shows a pic of 7800 centipede, and at the bottom it tells you EXACTLY what games/versions are on the console. 5 7800 titles including Asteriods, Centipede, Planet Smashers, Desert Falcon and Charley Chuck's Food Fight.

http://www.atari.com/us/games/atari_flashback/7800?PHPSESSID=4eadf51d1ef57b9f06acaa09c6f7d530

They fixed the screenshots about an hour after I posted that message. :roll:

Mitch

Hey I have a question...

I love the concept of moving the Pause & Select buttons to the Joystick. However... with only four 7800 titles on the system, have alterations been made to the 2600 programs to allow for them to pause as well?

Obviously people like you and I know that 2600 games do not pause as 7800 games do.... however the general public probabally has no idea. I can forsee a great number of confused home consumers wondering why the hell their pause button doesnt work on their new Atari Flashback.

Anyone?

Hey I have a question...

I love the concept of moving the Pause & Select buttons to the Joystick. However... with only four 7800 titles on the system, have alterations been made to the 2600 programs to allow for them to pause as well?

Obviously people like you and I know that 2600 games do not pause as 7800 games do.... however the general public probabally has no idea. I can forsee a great number of confused home consumers wondering why the hell their pause button doesnt work on their new Atari Flashback.

Anyone?

All I had to say is be ready to see alot of new people to join up at the AA Forums :D

Maybe this fellow was involved with this project.

http://www.mindspring.com/~2600onachip/

From his website:

What's happening with this project?  

Sunday, January 25, 2004  

First of all, my apologies for the lack of updates to everyone that has been interested in this work.  

I cannot post the current status of this project, and I'm really sorry for that. I think it's safe for me to say that this is not just a hobby anymore.  

I just hope the day I post my last comment that most of you be happy with the conclusion.