IGNORED

Atari Flashback Unit

Trip_Cannon

Obviously people like you and I know that 2600 games do not pause as 7800 games do....

I think it may be possible to pause a 2600 game....

Check out this 2600 clone from brazil, and read the description where it says that it can pause any 2600 game :ponder: (Pretty interesting....)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...me=STRK:MEWA:IT

It's not possible without hacking the code, if you want the display to stay there. If you were to somehow halt the CPU during the "pause", you would lose the screen display, because the CPU is always locked to the display. In fact, it would become vertical stripes. And the audio would be stuck on whatever it was before, which can be real annoying with TIA sound.

Of course if you blacked the audio and video outputs during this "pause", and that was acceptable (which it seem it was in the linked system), then that could work.

Actually I looked into it. A representatiave with Atari stated that all of the software has been updated to accept "Pause" commands including the 2600 titles. What's more, every game has its own unique Pause text which appears in the center of the screen which will remain unique and in keeping with the game its self thus appearing historically correct.

Yay for pause!

Fromm the Atari on a Chip site:

Friday, September 10, 2004

After two years of work, this will be my final post:

This project is now owned by RetroGames LLC, which mean I will not release any source files anytime soon.

As the 2600 is now part of their coming lineup, you will soon be able to buy a real Atari 2600 in a joystick that can play all the games while the competitors do not run original roms.

I am looking forward for this to happen since it would fulfill one of my goals of having a low-power 2600 with features like game pause, multi-game selection, etc.

About RetroGames LLC, you can contact them through dev-relations@protectedfromreality.com

Well, I guess that answers the questions posed in *this* thread:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.p...=asc&highlight=

:ponder:

Also, I don't remember if it was here or on the stella list, but let me just say the following to the people who discouraged other hardware enthusiasts from working on a GPL'ed FPGA 2600 design when 2600onachip went private:

:P :P :P :P :P I TOLD YOU SO. :P :P :P :P :P

• 2 weeks later...

[edit]

Our local morning news here in IL did a report on the Flash back unit

it was pretty good until they showed the actual size of the unit

:ponder: It's a small unit so small that it it fits in your hand, so that basicly kills the idea of a cartridge slot unless they enlarge the unit so it can fit a slot.

It's the same WGN airs his segment here in Chicago, The same could be said for Sam Reuben

oh your in IL then I didn't know that I figured that you saw it on a different

program. thats why I stated that it orginates from ktla (most of the holllywood segments orignate from there(including sam ruben(even though he is done live for us,but he does a show in Cal on ktla)

You know what would be funny? If you pulled that sticker off of the Onyx Junior controllers and saw twelve square holes under it. It looks like they used Colecovision controller molds to make those. Hell, it even has the little curve in the side to remove overlays. At least it has a real stick instead of a stump.

• 2 weeks later...
The manager at the logo EBGames here seemed to think Atari was either releasing three different Flashback units -- each with unique games --  or a way to play 3 different game packs.

Has anyone heard anything about this?

Maybe they'll go with the Coleco thing and have a "key" that plugs into it to unlock groups of games which are already there to begin with. DRM 1970s Pong-console style.

The manager at the logo EBGames here seemed to think Atari was either releasing three different Flashback units -- each with unique games --  or a way to play 3 different game packs.

I've also heard that the Flashback we know about is the first of three similar items. But that's about it.

I've also heard that the Flashback we know about is the first of three similar items. But that's about it.

Perhaps this is the reasoning behind the detachable controllers and power supply...which makes no sense with a cheap, non-expandable console, btw. It would be interesting if the second and third Flashback releases are the console (read cartridge with built-in processor and ports) only with different games and no controllers or cords.

The first release would be the "core unit" with subsequent releases being the "cartridges." Not a bad gameplan if this is truly the case.

This weekend I saw this 150 NES games peace of crap (cheap plastic, made in china, pirate job) at the mall and it has a NES port!

http://www.nesplayer.com/pirates/superjoyiii.htm

And I thought if they could do it with this think, why not the Flash Back?

I have 1 of these. The port on mine is for Famicom carts.

This weekend I saw this 150 NES games peace of crap (cheap plastic, made in china, pirate job) at the mall and it has a NES port!

That's a Famicom slot. I've never seen one of these things with any other kind of slot.

On the other hand, I do have Parodius for Famicom. But on the gripping hand, I already have a Tri-Star adapter to play it on.

Selling these at my local mall as well. Would've gotten one but they're asking a rediculously high $60 for it. And if I did get one it would be to finally have a working NES.

Of course, you can pick up a working NES and roughly 10 games for $20 at yard sales here, so why bother? :?