IGNORED

Classic home console games over arcade versions

chuckwalla

Normally, I'm a purist when it comes to home conversions of coin-ops. That said, I absolutely detested the radically different ports that found their way to the NES back in the 80's. Double Dragon, Strider, Section Z (among others)...all ruined with needless changes.

But, I'd have to say that I did enjoy the Atari 2600 version of Wizard of Wor more than the arcade original. Control seems tighter and the game plays remarkably well despite the flickering graphics. Also, the silly robotic voice is gone which is a huge plus for me!

I absolutely detested the radically different ports that found their way to the NES back in the 80's.  Double Dragon .......ruined with needless changes.  

No way! Double Dragon had that added in one-on-one fighting mode that kicked ass back then. Playing as Abobo was awesome and a worthy addition

I very much prefer the NES versions of CastleVania, POW and Strider. NES Contra too leaves the arcade version in the dust IMO

I absolutely detested the radically different ports that found their way to the NES back in the 80's.  Double Dragon .......ruined with needless changes.  

No way! Double Dragon had that added in one-on-one fighting mode that kicked ass back then. Playing as Abobo was awesome and a worthy addition

Perhaps, but the reality is that the regular mode (which we all bought the game for in the first place) was a pale imitation of the coin-op. Changed stages, weapons that disappeared right out of your hands, a "level-up" move system, the cave maze (WTF??) and lack of 2p mode disappointed all who were hoping and praying for a faithful conversion.

Double Dragon 2 continued this trend, although we were used to this practice by then.

Rygar for the NES was far better than the arcade in my opinion. Much more of an RPG feel to it, rather than another Rastan type of game. Plus, the music was just fantastic. I also liked the RPG feel of the NES Strider, but I also LOVE the arcade version of that game, so in that case, both are great games.

Rygar for the NES was far better than the arcade in my opinion

Oh right....and how could I forget to mention Bionic Commando?

The difficulty was cranked so high in the arcade...the graphics were better but when I finally MAME'd it to see all of it, I wasn't that impressed. They really added a lot of details to the basic mechnic and then made it a bigger game with a cool story (one of the coolest NES preludes/postludes if you ask me) when they moved it to the NES.

Asteroids 2600... Probably just because I played it looooong before I tried the arcade version. When I finally saw the arcade I didn't like it. I had gotten used to the flickering asteroids in the 2600 version ...  :D

I feel the exact same way about Defender

I feel the exact same way about Defender

Yeah, it is strange how one gets used to things... For a long time I didn't even know that Asteroids was a vector game. When I was a kid I thought the arcade version looked like the 2600 version, just higher resolution and less flickering...

Rygar for the NES was far better than the arcade in my opinion

Oh right....and how could I forget to mention Bionic Commando?

Oh!

How could I have forgotten that one! BC is one of my all-time favorite NES games and yes, the NES adaptation was one of the few cases where deviation from the coin-op proved to work out for the better.

It's odd...when I think of my favorite NES memories, I always seem to be reminded of the true classics like Bionic Commando, Contra, and Star Soldier. For some reason, the fruity Mario games (while decent) rarely stick out.

intelly burgertime - pepper's speed is consistent when moving up and down and laterally, i dont like his slow speed on the ladders in the arcade version, plus i like the horizontal based boards as opposed to the vertical based boards on the arcade

strider - NES strider was ok, but after playing the genesis version and seeing how close it was to the awesome arcade game, i fell in love with the genny (this is 2 years before sonic the hedgehog, and a year before Super Mario Bros 3)

Ms Pac Man - the 7800 version simply rocks, the speed of this version is just what the doctor ordered. while slower speed on ms pac may be more challenging, it just isnt as fun

outrun - the SMS version was pretty dam good considering the limitations of the system, and while the gameplay of the arcade game is timeless, the music on the SMS rocks. which is funny as normally SMS music is terrible

zero wing - mega drive cut scenes (duh)

i actually like Lock N Chase for the 2600.  I didnt know it was an arcade game till years later, and when I play it in Mame, I still like the 2600 version better.  They have 4 cops moving without flicker, why couldnt Atari have done that with the ghosts in Pacman????

1ej

Because in Pac-Man, a single sprite is used in different positions over the coarse of 4 television frames (so while the picture is being displayed at 60hz...the sprite is only being displayed at 15 hz in any one of the 4 positions). In addition, the sprites can travel anywhere independantly.

LNC differs by not only using a player and a missile sprite as 2 of the enemies...but the program itself will make those enemies "intelligently" avoid being 3 or 4 in a horizontal scanline (so it always has a flicker-free player and missile sprite to display).

Later games take advantage of using sprite multiplexing...meaning that the sprite will not flicker unless the same scanline is involved between 2 displayed objects. This comes at a price of the display kernal being more complex (and much larger)...which is not always an option in a 4k-sized cart. Given the development time of Atari's Pac-man (and Atari's refusal to Frye's suggestion to use 8k of memory space)...the port still managed to cover the basic elements of the game. Dots -> eat dots -> avoid 4 enemies -> eat one of 4 flashing dots -> eat enemies. Including one aspect that comes as a surprise to many (the enemies DO use 4 seperate colors).

None for me...

We're talking BETTER home games than the Arcade versions??

None..

Assuming I had unlimited space, I can't think of a single game I'd rather have the console version than an Arcade game.

There were some great conversions. I admit that. And there are some that are so different they are really seperate games.

I had a lot of fun finishing the C64 version of Dragon's Lair, but it was nothing like the Arcade version, which I love.

er.. well.. Now that I think about it.. There have been some reverse conversions where I preferred the original versions.

Not console but, the Amiga version of Lemmings, I prefer to the Arcade version. I just really love the mouse for that game.

desiv

I think I'm in good company here, Bionic Commando was definitely better at home, though I preferred the C64 version (with Tim Follin's wonderful music). The arcade machine seemed to just be another mid-80s coin-theft device rather that any kind of entertainment dispenser.

Although I LOVE the arcade gfx and sound, I would play 2600 defender far more readily than its coin-op parent.

Oh yeah, Crazy Taxi was bigger and better and tons more fun than the arcade machine, though that was a fairly easy port, since both coin-op and home version were on Dreamcast hardware.

I like Space Invaders on the Atari VCS more than the arcade version. The arcade seems to play too slowly. Besides, the Atari game has more variations than I ever thought possible, even though they're mostly very similar and I don't go much beyond game 50 for fear of wearing out my Game Select switch. Also, you can use that double-firepower cheat :D

I also like the Atari 5200 game. Very dissimilar to the arcade, but the action is much faster.