IGNORED

Pokey and the CC2.

killersquirel

Thanks everybody!

When I first tried the cc2, both commando and ball blazer sounded horrible. I started to worry, and then thought it was a bad chip. I tried again to reinsert the pokey chip and pushed it more firmly into place. I then tried a second time and both games sound perfect.

I then assembled my cc2 and put the label on the cart (finally!), and so now I have a complete cc2! All I can say is "WooHoo!".

Thanks,

Mike

Anyone need a Pokey for their CC2?  I'm thinking of ordering a few from Best.

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

I'll go in for a couple. I had one in my CC2 but it only worked the first time I tried it. It's stopped working but I've been too busy in the last few months to reseat it or to swap in a new one.

I probably do. What is the minimum number that you have to buy and how much a piece would it break down to? I'm pretty much a moron when it comes to electronics too. :ponder: What's the chance that I'll F my whole CC2 up? I wouldn't have to actually solder the thing in, would I?

Blah, blah, blah. Put me down for "1", I guess. :wink:

I probably do. What is the minimum number that you have to buy and how much a piece would it break down to? I'm pretty much a moron when it comes to electronics too. :ponder: What's the chance that I'll F my whole CC2 up? I wouldn't have to actually solder the thing in, would I?

Blah, blah, blah. Put me down for "1", I guess. :wink:

The CC2 has a socket for the Pokey and it is clearly marked which way around the chip goes, no soldering required. If you fuck this up, you don't deserve to have a CC2 in the first place. LOL

If you want, I can take a closeup pic of the Pokey installed in the CC2. ;)

If you want, I can take a closeup pic of the Pokey installed in the CC2.  ;)

It would be great if you could. Thanks.

The pictures in my manual didn't print out correctly but this may be because I'm running a pathetically old version of Adobe Acrobat. :ponder:

If you want, I can take a closeup pic of the Pokey installed in the CC2.  ;)

It would be great if you could. Thanks.

The pictures in my manual didn't print out correctly but this may be because I'm running a pathetically old version of Adobe Acrobat. :ponder:

Ummmmmmmmm, Adobe would be happy to provide a free update to Acrobat Reader ;)

Look for the 'notch' in the pokey to help get the side right - CPUs pic has the half circle notch on the left.

Well my Pokey is definitely kaput.  I reseated it firmly and still no luck.  I have about three spare Ballblazer carts but it looks like I would have to desolder them to get them out.  I'd rather pick up a new chip :)

You could always take one out of a 5200, those are socketed. ;)

Ok, since the original question was answered well enough, I don't mind further sidetracking this thread to tell you the story of a disorganized Atari nut.

I went into my garage to check out my Atari computer storage situation because I have a 800, 1200, and 800xl in deep freeze. I was thinking of pulling a pokey from one of them just to make sure it wasn't my CC2 that was flaky. Since I packed most of that away last year I forgot what else was in the bin, an 800xl with a dead motherboard that I've used for parts before but it's been years so I forgot about it.

So, just to let you know that the Pokey chips in the 800xl are also socketed so they're real easy to pull and put into the CC2. And now my Ballblazer and Commando play nice music :D (All that effort for 2 games!)

Here's a pic of the 2 different styles of Pokey chips I've run across, the one in the CC2 is pulled from a 5200 and has stopped working for me, I'll have to check the pins more carefully and see if I didn't accidently bend one. The loose Pokey I pulled from the 800xl.

post-1503-1096086569_thumb.jpg

I probably do.  What is the minimum number that you have to buy and how much a piece would it break down to?

Best charges $5 each .. and some $$ for shipping .. so say $8 each shipped to you.

I have to get another to put back in an 800XL. Plus I want a spare too!

So one for SS. 2 for me. Others?

I'm also going to order from BGMicro some power sockets and power supplies for 7800s. These are standard 2.1 mm barrel plugs/sockets that would take the place of the propriatory items that Atari used. $.50 and $3 plus shipping to you. This would require minimal soldering. Any takers?

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA