IGNORED

High Score Club Week 26: Lost Luggage

Ze_ro

After about 10 games - 2,390. Not too bad I guess, but I really don't like this game that much.

My strategy is to stay at the top as long as possible and only rush down if I start to miss some. The first few games I was trying to get them all at the bottom (Kaboom style), but they spread out so much as they go down.

Isn't it weird that Appollo has 2 airport themed games (Final Approach ) Airplane games are definitely in abundance, but AIRPORT games?? pretty weird.

Answer to the Point value question where the game freezes in which ive done this many times. Years ago when i played the game it would freeze around 100-115k mostly around 112k i didnt realize back then it had to be a point value bug. Then in 1999 or 2000 when i made my 278k i figured out that the game did have a bug at 88pts or 83 pts per luggage bag. I'm not quite sure exactly but ill have to review the tape but its around that point value and it is where the game stopped dropping luggage. So my question is , is my game better with a higher score OR better with a lower score before game freezing? I have maxed the game at 999,999 but that isnt saying too much concidering whats at hand here. Besides i really DONT think anyone including myself will get over 100k on "1" man catching the luggage Or better yet reaching the 83 pt bug factor.

Todd Mr Activision Rogers

D'oh, leave it to Apollo to throw a monkeywrench into the works... Well, I guess there's not much I can do but just accept scores from either version equally... I guess this gives the green-label people a very slight edge (although I don't think 75 points is a huge advantage in this game), but it's probably the best way to handle this aside from interrogating everyone as to what version they have and keeping two seperate lists or adding/subtracting 75 points or any nonsense like that.

Larcen's back!

Ah, but your screenshot has two men... remember that we're supposed to be playing on Game 4 (And difficulty A), which only gives you only one man to catch bags! I hope all you non-screenshot people are playing on the correct game mode!

--Zero

Ok, first off, I have the blue label version which starts the 1st round at 4 pts per suitcase. And I did play it on Level 4 with one "suitacse grabber"

Tips are kinda tough since the gameplay is very self explanatory but I have a couple.

Ze_ro, a slight correction to the point system...

Tip 1: You obtain an "extra man" at the 400 and 800 point level per every thousand points. In other words, "free man" at 400, 800, 1400, 1800, 2400, 2800, 3400, 3800 and so on and so on. (Wierd, I know, but it took me awhile to figure out the free man thing since it doesn't tell you in the manual :roll:) I guess the game was programmed to give you the extra man every time the 3rd digit from the right is a 4 or 8.

Keep this in mind as you play. The better you monitor when you will get the next extra man, the more focused you will be and thus, hopefully a better score will result.

Tip 2: Your man moves a lot faster Left to Right than he does Up or Down. It's easier to stay close to the top and wildly move back and forth but when the suitcases get beneath you, recover them quickly then slowly work yourself back up while moving back and forth. It's a hard game but these strategies have been the most successful for me.

Well here we are and its week 26 and NO Hurricanes what a relief. My submisson for this weeks game is 34,208 on Lost Luggage. This variation of the game really makes you work for the points and the joystick that im using is still suffering badly from the "AtariLympics" that we just had.

Todd Mr. Activision Rogers

post-1920-1096840363_thumb.jpg

As for hints, I really only have one myself... do NOT get into the habit of just going for the piece of luggage that is lowest on the screen. Unlike Kaboom, you can move up and down, and also unlike Kaboom, you can't swing across the screen in a split second... so if you're rushing from one side of the screen to the other to pick up an errant bag, do whatever you can to catch a few others on the trip there, because you might not be able to get to them in time otherwise. I can't even count how many times I've gotten stuck in the habit of racing to either end of the screen which always ends in a missed bag.

--Zero

And thus comes the end of yet another action-packed week of the High Score Club! I hope you all enjoyed catching luggage, because no one wants their unmentionables strewn all about the airport terminal! Congratulations to everyone on their scores, and I hope you'll join us for the next installment of the High Score Club!

--Zero

Oh, and Max-T still hasn't gotten back to me with an alternate choice, so I don't have a game lined up for next week yet... Instead of doing the whole random number thing, this time we'll go back to the PM lottery... so, if you're reading this, send me a private message letting me know what game you'd like to see in the High Score Club... the first one that makes it to me will be chosen!

Update: Congraturations! A winnar is you, Kurushimi!

--Zero