IGNORED

I cant burn anything on my Dreamcast!?

xenomorpher

Hi

I tried many many times to burn an emulator (nester) on my DC and non have worked. I even did the step by step at www.dcemulation.com no luck. I searched the web and no luck they just said go to www.dcemulation.com or what they said didnt help. I even tried burning a boot disk but no luck. I litteraly have a pile of CDs that dont work that I burned. I have emulators on my PC so I understand about the ROM thing so this is my last resort. Thanks

That doesn't say much, since there are many ways to burn a disc. Did you use burner software like Nero, or did you use a cdrecord/mkisofs command-line method?

The most important thing is how your burning software handles track 1. Because of the way that multiple sessions work, the second session has to have its block numbers in the ISO image based on where it will appear after burning. Some software will add an extra 2 sectors, some won't. I've even had the same software (Toast) add 2 sectors when run under Mac OS 9, but not under OS X.

This is why the numbers 11700 and 11702 are significant. When using the cdrecord method, you're supposed to use a get info command before running mkisofs, so you can know what numbers to give to mkisofs so the image will be at the right sector address. I can't tell you much about other methods because 1) I use OS X, and 2) I use a shell script that burns with cdrecord/mkisofs.

You also didn't say whether you were burning from .cdi style "all in one" images or if you were making an ISO image from plain files. When burning from plain files, you need a "scrambled" version of 1ST_READ.BIN, and you need to merge boot code into the resulting ISO.

Do your discs boot with a loader disc like Utopia? If so, you may be using an unscrambled 1ST_READ.BIN.

And then there's the possiblity that your DC is too new. What's the mfg date on the label on the bottom? If it's Nov 2000 or later, this may be your problem. (Then again, some have said that the "normal" CD-boot loophole still works even on newer units.)

Oh, and by the way, I really prefer the older (6.x?) version of Nester. The current 7.1 has a seriously crappy multi-level menu user interface, without any noticable (to me) improvement in emulation.

Sorry

I used nero version 6 .3 .1 .25 and Im using windows XP. I used self boot to make a Nero Image. My dreamcast was made I think 2001. Also Here is the link in which I followed the steps

http://www.dcemulation.com/selfboot-nesterdc.htm

I thought it would be pretty easy but I guess its not or I have bad luck. :?

Could be you're using the Nero Wizard and it's trying to do something funky with your image. You just want to burn the image straight to the disk. In my Nero program, I have to exit out of the window, open the image to be burned and slap it directly on the disc. Works everytime.

If you find it difficult to get stuff to work I'd recommend you check out Sbiffy! and download an SBI of Nester since thats by far the easiest route to go!

Just go to the site and check out the forum where you'll get answers to all questions about burning Nester and where to put the roms etc.

/Troop

Try using Nero, but burn it using "track at once". That's what I used and all of my DC emus worked. Smart move using the Self-boot off of DCEmulation too, another good program is DCFactory. It automatically adds the bootstrap and the 1st.bin too the iso you are burning, it makes life a lot easier! lol Hope this helps!

I've heard that Nero 6 and upwards is a no-go when it comes to DC burning, I don't know why it's just what I've heard.

I use version 5.5.9.17 and it works great for me.

Your best bet when it comes to burning DC stuff is IMHO Discjuggler or, if that doesn't work with your burner, Alcohol 120%.

/Troop

Its installed but I cant open the trial version and acts like I downloaded the full version. Im so close I have the CD image with the ROMS in it and everything I just need to burn it but it wont work right with Nero since I think its version 6 plus alcohol 120% wont work till I have a keycode which I dont. Im so close to having my first emulator on my DC!!!

my dc it's an emu whore :D I just got all the VCS roms from AA and make a cd with DCStella, man, it's so nice to play all the games again ;) Get selfboot, it will create an image u can burn for your DC, I'm using nero image, it's the second one I think, works every time, good luck!

Ok this is the only thing I can think of so here it goes. Can anyone here thats honest and thats around Pittsburgh(Im a few hours away so in that general area) and that has played emulators on their DC test my disk to see if it works on their DC? I will mail it and you dont have to pay anything and even keep the disk or throw it away. Thanks.

Ok, here's what I want you to try:

Try to burn DC Hakker on the cheapest CD-R blank you can find. If you don't have Nero, get it, and use it to burn the CD Image for Nero of DC Hakker.

Remember, you need to make a CD from an image, and not the other way around (burn the image file itself to the CD).

Make sure you're using Disc-At-Once and not Track-At-Once