IGNORED

PSP likely delay anticipated!

Adrian M

like 95% of people of this site hate Sonyand just love Microsoft and Nintendo.

:lolblue: :lolblue: :lolblue: :lolblue: :lolblue: :lolblue: :lolblue: :lolblue: :lolblue: :lolblue: :lolblue: :lolblue: :lolblue: :lolblue: :lolblue: :lolblue: :lolblue:

*spits soda out through my nose onto my keyboard*

I dont know about;

Hating Sony, or

Loving Nintendo, BUT...

Do a little research on this website if you think people here like Microsoft!!!! Just about everytime Microsoft is mentioned it's negative. People HATE successful companies that make a lot of money. I love this site to death, but other than Adrian M, I don't think I've seen too many kind words about Microsoft on this or any other gaming website.

Crap I ment the Xbox and GC over the PS2 sorry.

I get games that are fun. I dont go with the flow, if its fun and cheap I'll buy it. And I dont avoid a game if it has Mario in it. I know it seems like I bash him and Nintendo but I dont mean to. I just dont like any Mario game for a portable. I would rather be happy and play popular games that are good than to be mesirable and buy unpopular stuff that stinks (not all popular stuff stinks, look at Beyond Good and Evil). I dont follow the crowd that buys all popular stuff or that buys all unpopular stuff I buy what I like.

@sega saturn x

I really dont know and you make a very good point. I think a lot of people root for the under dog but they dont realize sometimes more people root for the under dog then they realize.

Why is it most "hard core" gamers hate what every one else likes is it really so hard to admit that some thing thats popular is good?

The thing about most "hardcore" gamers today is that they don't quite fit the description. The majority of them started out on the Playstation and think that 3D is the end-all/be-all.

Oddly enough, if you ask these "hardcore" individuals about a Neo Geo or about Nintendo's monopolization allegations of the late 1980's, they'll just stand there and stare cluelessly. You can often find such individuals working in your local Gamestop/EBGames locations! :D

:lolblue: True but you could say I was a late bloomer when it comes to videogames. My parents had a Sears Telegames system and games so that was the first gamesystem I played. Then like 6 years later (around 1998) I decided to get a PSX over a N64 because I loved the Aliens games and it had Alien Trilogy so I got that then Turok 2 came for the N64 since I liked dinosaur games with gore I was a little crushed but then I got MGS and it all went out the window as time went on when I got Resident Evil games. Then I got the PS2 then I started gaming collecting first with the Jag and others and then respected Sega Nintendo Atari Panasonic and sorta Microsoft even more. A lot of my friends dont know a whole bunch of retro consoles but I took the liberty to do what they didnt. Also I think all of the clerks at my EB have an Xbox lanyard and even this 40 something year old lady wears one and she was talking to some guys about Halo 2 and they were preordering.

What are the graphical specs of the two systems? I don't think I've seen a real comparison anywhere, or if one has even been released. Okay, I've read the DS can surpass the N64 graphically, and the PSP is below the PS2 graphically. Is there any clear-cut more powerful system, or are we going to have to wait? When it comes down to it, I don't give a shit about graphics if the game is good, but I've been wondering, and a little eye-candy never hurt anyone :) .

Who in there right mind would wait to buy the psp?

5. I dont know about you but Im so sick of crappy 2d games and so sick of Super Mario Bros or Mario VS Donkey Kong or Cooking With Mario (obviously made up the last part)

Well, if you're sick of playing crappy 2D games, why not try some GOOD ones for a change? Some suggestions include La Pucelle Tactics, Viewtiful Joe, Guilty Gear Isuka, and Zelda: Four Swords Adventure.

Personally, I'm tired of the tons of overhyped gorefests that are approximately 99.9% percent pretty polygonal graphics and 0.1% gameplay. Sony has taken the entirely wrong approach to the gaming industry, striving to give games a movie-like atmosphere while completely ignoring the fact that VIDEO GAMES ARE NOT MOVIES. Up to this point, portable game systems have been a safe haven from the asinine mentality that cinematics and visuals should overshadow gameplay. With the PSP around, that could change, and I don't like the thought of that at all. You can have your Jet Li "games" and your Final Fantasy sequels... I'd much rather have games that put the control in the player's hands. I'm crazy like that.

JR

P.S. That stuff about the PSP being delayed is probably true. They reported it on G4TechTV last night. Sure the network is annoying, but it's generally an accurate source for gaming news.

Who in there right mind would wait to buy the psp?

5. I dont know about you but Im so sick of crappy 2d games and so sick of Super Mario Bros or Mario VS Donkey Kong or Cooking With Mario (obviously made up the last part)

Well, if you're sick of playing crappy 2D games, why not try some GOOD ones for a change? Some suggestions include La Pucelle Tactics, Viewtiful Joe, Guilty Gear Isuka, and Zelda: Four Swords Adventure.

Personally, I'm tired of the tons of overhyped gorefests that are approximately 99.9% percent pretty polygonal graphics and 0.1% gameplay. Sony has taken the entirely wrong approach to the gaming industry, striving to give games a movie-like atmosphere while completely ignoring the fact that VIDEO GAMES ARE NOT MOVIES. Up to this point, portable game systems have been a safe haven from the asinine mentality that cinematics and visuals should overshadow gameplay. With the PSP around, that could change, and I don't like the thought of that at all. You can have your Jet Li "games" and your Final Fantasy sequels... I'd much rather have games that put the control in the player's hands. I'm crazy like that.

JR

P.S. That stuff about the PSP being delayed is probably true. They reported it on G4TechTV last night. Sure the network is annoying, but it's generally an accurate source for gaming news.

I am going to have to get Viewtiful Joe. I dont care for Final Fantasy games nor RPGs but a lot of people dress up like the characters and stuff but I do give credit to the creator because they all have different stories. I actually liked that Jet Li game for the way you punch by using the right analog stick I thought it wouldnt be too good but I was wrong. I thought in the Metal Gear Games they did a good job in gameplay as well as the cinematic stuff and I like it in Substance that you have over 350 VR Missions and a lot of unlockables, very good. I dont think all movie like games are good, the Getaway was pretty bad and pretty hard thanks to no HUD.

Personally, I'm tired of the tons of overhyped gorefests that are approximately 99.9% percent pretty polygonal graphics and 0.1% gameplay.  Sony has taken the entirely wrong approach to the gaming industry, striving to give games a movie-like atmosphere while completely ignoring the fact that VIDEO GAMES ARE NOT MOVIES.  Up to this point, portable game systems have been a safe haven from the asinine mentality that cinematics and visuals should overshadow gameplay.  With the PSP around, that could change, and I don't like the thought of that at all.  You can have your Jet Li "games" and your Final Fantasy sequels... I'd much rather have games that put the control in the player's hands.  I'm crazy like that.

and with that, Jess has hit the nail squarely on its head

Personally, I'm tired of the tons of overhyped gorefests that are approximately 99.9% percent pretty polygonal graphics and 0.1% gameplay.  Sony has taken the entirely wrong approach to the gaming industry, striving to give games a movie-like atmosphere while completely ignoring the fact that VIDEO GAMES ARE NOT MOVIES.  Up to this point, portable game systems have been a safe haven from the asinine mentality that cinematics and visuals should overshadow gameplay.  With the PSP around, that could change, and I don't like the thought of that at all.  You can have your Jet Li "games" and your Final Fantasy sequels... I'd much rather have games that put the control in the player's hands.  I'm crazy like that.

I must agree with you in some respects (particularly on the Sony-bashing), but you must know that alternatives have always exsited, even aside from those infernal Gameboy handhelds.

In particular, the hardcore have flocked to the Neo Geo system for their hardcore and 2D gaming needs during the dark ages when Sony's systems reigned supreme. You see, the Neo's final game (Samurai Spirits V Special) was released just this past summer, making it one of the longest supported gaming systems ever. Yes, it was expensive, but never did it subject its players to 3D cinema-style games or story-dominated gameplay. And while the last few games were mostly 2D fighters (which I adore), there have been some non-fruit releases like the Metal Slug series to give true gamers what they needed...a true 2D fix without the extraneous crap that modern games like Viewtiful Joe throw at you.

Even the Atari Jaguar continues to see some odd releases now and again. You see, you do not nor have you ever had to give in to Sony and their interpretation of gaming! Alternatives have always been there, for those who cared to look beyond what is offered at the local Gamestop store. Whether its Atari 2600 homebrews to shareware games on a Mac computer, better games exist. Or you can just buy an XBOX and play modern games as they should have been all along!

The most over hyped game to me is Halo the game play isnt that great and the only good things are the multiplayer and some of the graphics. If you guys are happy with what you have then good Im happy for you, I am extremely happy with what I have and of the 3 new consoles I play my PS2 the most and have more games for it. I just dont see whats so nice about the Xbox.

The most over hyped game to me is Halo the game play isnt that great and the only good things are the multiplayer and some of the graphics. If you guys are happy with what you have then good Im happy for you, I am extremely happy with what I have and of the 3 new consoles I play my PS2 the most and have more games for it. I just dont see whats so nice about the Xbox.

Overhyped? There's a good reason for that and it's due to the engaging gameplay and versatile physics engine.

Go back and play it again...take your time in the first few levels. Experiment a bit. Change up your approach. Watch how those bullet casings actually roll down hills. Try to save the marine with the sniper rifle and have him sit in the passenger side of the Warthog and witness his ability to snipe enemies efficiently. Try to get the banshee into an interior location to lay waste to grunts. Try beating an area using nothing but melee attacks. Perhaps then you'll soon see why this game is so great.

I kinda have been trying to force myself to like it but I just dont. I pat them on the back for the itty bitty details but I dunno I think for a futuristic shooter I'd go with Kill Zone when it comes out because I love the grainy and dark graphics in a tore up world. Another thing the Xbox would be far far more interesting to me if it had Action Replay or a Codebreaker because it adds life. I just wish they'd do that and not a "download saves via internet" thing. I understand about the online cheating thing and I think its wrong to do that. I never cheat when playing multiplayer and never will. Im not blaming Microsoft, its Datel and Pelican who is not making them and I knew when I bought my Xbox theres no support from those companies cheat wise but I got it anyways but I didnt know how much a difference its made. Who knows Halo 2 might and probably will be better for me unless I get rid of my Xbox.

Anyways back on topic

I hope the delay (if it does happen) will help Sony fix out any bugs and problems. And I hope they will succeed because it would be nice if the portable gamers had options. The DS has all that PDA stuff and the PSP doesnt and for a change Nintendo has taken that route. And what games did Sony give(make themselves) that were movie like atmosphere? I think we are going to see more because IMO it adds more substance and I hope they pay attention to game play. And what over hyped gore fest games are there? Manhunt I can see they focused a lot of realistic gore. GTA series get pulled into this category a lot. They are free roaming and let you do basically anything you want. Sure theres violence but (at some times when you are not on a mission) you can choose and they do have a pretty good storyline so dont forget about that. If you dont like either system get a Gamepark (I think they are called that) and you can run emulators on it.

Well im going yo take a short off topic trip for a second. Never ever ever at any time listen to what other people say about a game. Dont listen to your freinds mags or who ever just dont. Go in to a game giveing it a clean slate and if its decent you might like it. But the problem is if you read a reveiw or listen to your freinds about a game some small part of you has already made up your mind if you like it or not. If a mag gives it a high rateing that you odnt agree with you automaticly dont like the game even if you have never played it. Or if you listen to your freinds say a game sucks you now think the game sucks. But this happens far to often a high quality game like halo is called godly by critics and fan boys so it gets legendary status. And in your mind you think wow its got to be great so in your mind you dreate a picture of how good the game is. And when you actuly play it its not as good as your mind cracked it up to be you dont like it now. Or some people simply like to disagree i dont know why but they do. And about the neo geo it was cool and i liked some of the gams but far to many achieved godly status and what i just said happened in my mind.

For Halo I just picked it up you know and see for myself (at first I didnt want to but I was like what the hey). Im sorry I just didnt like it. For the record I never follow reviews because they are just opinions. For instance I liked Manhunt because it had a dirty, filthy, and distrubing atmosphere but others hate it but its ok Im fine with it. I bought because I like disturbing games like Silent Hill. I am kinda glad the Xbox is in the system scene because it kinda shakes things up a bit. If the same game companies were around forever to me (IMO) its like watching SNL with the same cast members that do the same skits and the cast stinks. I never pretended to play Halo I just kinda threw it out of my head concentrating on other things. And I actually have it right now and if things go the way I plan Im selling it with my system and its games. Im sorry I just dont like it. The reason I got an Xbox was Half Life2 and Doom3 now that I have a PC able to handle them I have 0 need for an XBox and 0 games appeal to me so someone lucky can have it for money.

I am not trying to in any way add to the flame war.

I will say that the word around the office that I work in -- which is an IT office -- is that everyone is pretty interested in the NDS because of the innovation that it brings to the table, while no one has been following the PSP too much because it isn't really innovative.

I bring up this argument all of the time -- the reason for people to upgrade systems is almost always because of some big innovation. The systems that fail do not provide enough innovation or the innovation in the "right" place to succeed. Think about it and hopefully you'll see what I mean.

Having said that, I think that the PSP is an innovation (portable 3D gaming) but I don't know if it will be "enough" of an innovation (the Jaguar failed commercially because it didn't have vastly better 3D games until it was too late, amongst other things... Same with Saturn...) If the delay happens like is stated, I think that the PSP will have serious issues attempting to catch up to Nintendo in market share or anything else.

We'll have to see though. While I am personally more interested in what the DS will mean to games, I hope that Sony's PSP is an interesting product too. There is room for competition within the handheld ranks.

I must agree with you in some respects (particularly on the Sony-bashing)
There is one helluva suprise *sacasm meter just broke*

You talk about Sony-style of games but your X-box is no better, just cause the sytem has better graphics dosen't mean shit if the games suck ass.

Please name a x-box exclusive game where gameplay is more than anafterthought to the "graphic power of the X-box" Microsoft is all about "shock and awe" not that sony isn't much better but at least i can see both are flawed.

>>King Atari>>>

The PSP will be a "more powerful system" but it is an apples and oranges comparison.

And what is with the incessant need to knock employees of GS and EB? I work for EB and think I could hold my own in a debate with just about anyone here about games.

And what is with the incessant need to knock employees of GS and EB? I work for EB and think I could hold my own in a debate with just about anyone here about games.

No arguments there, but you are truly one in a million. Honestly, these people are complete tools more than most of the time

I must agree with you in some respects (particularly on the Sony-bashing)
There is one helluva suprise *sacasm meter just broke*

You talk about Sony-style of games but your X-box is no better, just cause the sytem has better graphics dosen't mean shit if the games suck ass.

Please name a x-box exclusive game where gameplay is more than anafterthought to the "graphic power of the X-box" Microsoft is all about "shock and awe" not that sony isn't much better but at least i can see both are flawed.

I agree in which why I think (IMO) the PSP will do fine because it does have nice graphics (Tiger woods graphics were amazing) and it has a lot of games that appeal to me and a lot of people I know. A chunk of people who like Sony and have owned previous Playstation systems will mst likely give the PSP a go.

No arguments there, but you are truly one in a million. Honestly, these people are complete tools more than most of the time

I've been lucky enough to have gone to EBs and Gamestops with reasonably intelligent people. You know, ones with more to say about gaming than "OMG TEH GAYCUEB SUX PS TWO 4 EVAR!11111 TEH NES AM LAEM IT HAZ CRAEPPY GRAFIX LOLOLOLOLOLOLO!!!1111111111111111" and that actually PLAY games other than Final Fantasy WTF and EA Sports WhateverBall.