IGNORED

Attn: Kenfused

sku_u

I mostly have been trying to decide if there is suffient interest to make a computer cartridge version of Beef Drop. Have been going to ask to see how computer versions sell compare to the 5200 (for castle crisis for example). And also determine if I would need to produce them myself and AA would sell them, if they could make them and sell them, or I would do both, I think so far only a couple of people had posted a quiestion about it in the forums.

I am also considering a port to another platform that would allow for much more color. An experimental screenshot is attached, but a lot more graphics enhancements would be possible since I could have 12 colors on the playfield and probably 3 colors per moving object.

post-4263-1097215137_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure about the 8-bit port. You'd get a decent idea of that if you asked in the 8-bit forum. I know there'd be a lot of interest in a 7800 version. Especially since there haven't been any real game homebrews for the 7800 AFAIK.

I'm also sure there'd be interest in porting the sequel to Burgertime over to the 5200. :ponder: :D

I mostly have been trying to decide if there is suffient interest to make a computer cartridge version of Beef Drop.  Have been going to ask to see how computer versions sell compare to the 5200 (for castle crisis for example).   And also determine if I would need to produce them myself and AA would sell them, if they could make them and sell them, or I would do both,  I think so far only a couple of people had posted a quiestion about it in the forums.  

I am also considering a port to another platform that would allow for much more color.  An experimental screenshot is attached, but a lot more graphics enhancements would be possible since I could have 12 colors on the playfield and probably 3 colors per moving object.

For getting an idea on how many people would be interested in an 8-bit port of beef drop, you could also try comp.sys.atari.8bit.

Although I'd like to see almost anything on the 7800 since there isn't much for homebrews for the 7800, I personlly would wish that you would do a game that wasn't already done on the 5200. On the onther hand if it gets your feet warm on 7800 programming maybe it's a good idea. At least you'd be familiar with the general logic of the program and could spend more time on 7800 specifics. Which ever way you go, I'd definetely be picking up whatever game on whatever platform you made.

By the way, Beef Drop is fantastic.

Allan

I mostly have been trying to decide if there is suffient interest to make a computer cartridge version of Beef Drop.  

I would definitely purchase "Beef Drop" on cart for the 8-bits. Steve Tucker was kind enough to burn a beta version of your great game onto one of his flash carts, but I'd love to have a commercial release. Bryan Edewaard did a wonderful job with his A8 version of "Castle Crisis", and it'd be nice to see a brown-label version of BD as well. :)

You could also contact ABBUC in Germany, they have something like 600 members worldwide and publish a disk magazine every two months. Tell them what your plans are, write a simple article about your game that they'll include in their newsletter and you may arouse some interest there.

BTW, most people seem to think the Internet is everything but there are many A8 users who frequent other boards or just don't have Internet access at all. Just my two cents...

--

Atari Frog

http://www.atarimania.com

You could also contact ABBUC in Germany, they have something like 600 members worldwide and publish a disk magazine every two months. Tell them what your plans are, write a simple article about your game that they'll include in their newsletter and you may arouse some interest there.

"Beef Drop" was actually covered quite well in the last issue of the ABBUC Newsletter. ;)

Personally, I wanted to get Beef Drop when it debuted at my show last month! I was too busy to even see the show much less buy anything. Anyway, if your really serious about doing a 7800 version...then I will honestly tell you that I would wait and wait..and wait..and basically, I would be willing to wait as long as needed for a 7800 version. But, that comes with the stipulation, that I wouldn't get a 5200 version because I would rather have the 7800 version anyway.

So my point is that if your really considering making a 7800 version of this excellent homebrew port of another awesome game which will remain nameless...then I myself would wait for the 7800 version...

Gotta put a pokey in it though..I don't want to hear that 2600 BG music on the 7800 when I know it can do better..hehe. Course adding the pokey might be more difficult in the conversion process? Or easier?

Although I'd like to see almost anything on the 7800 since there isn't much for homebrews for the 7800, I personlly would wish that you would do a game that wasn't already done on the 5200. On the onther hand if it gets your feet warm on 7800 programming maybe it's a good idea. At least you'd be familiar with the general logic of the program and could spend more time on 7800 specifics. Which ever way you go, I'd definetely be picking up whatever game on whatever platform you made.  

By the way, Beef Drop is fantastic.

Allan

Well in theory, I would just have to replace the graphics engine (and sound if a Pokey isnt to be required). In practice it will probably be more complicated than that. I did keep in mind the idea of porting when I wrote it (at least early on) to try and make it easier. I tried to keep the game logic and graphics a little separated and I didnt use hardware collision detection. I can't think of too many arcade games I liked that were not on the 5200 or XL/XE. Maybe guzzler (which I used to play in an arcade) or zookeeper (a game I heard of, but never saw a machine until MAME).

I mostly have been trying to decide if there is suffient interest to make a computer cartridge version of Beef Drop...

I am also considering a port to another platform that would allow for much more color.  

I would be interested in either. :D

The only reason that I haven't snagged a "Beef Drop" yet is that I don't actually own a 5200. I'd be all about an 8Bit cart though. A 7800 port would be even sweeter!

If you do a 7800 version of beefdrop (or zookeepr for that matter) I will personally give my wife permission to have your babies!

"To counter the demands of Infogrames hobbyists began accepting a new kind of currency."

You see, Bryan, the wife and I have an "Understanding"...