IGNORED

Commodore 64 Thrust

BassGuitari

I just picked up a copy of Thrust/Ninja Master for the C64. I love Thrust (NM's kinda stupid), but it seems it can only be played with the keyboard. Is there a way to use a joystick?

Also, I got a bunch of copied disks with lots of sweet games on them, but, of course, the best ones don't work :x The disks appear to be in great shape, no damage at all. Is there any rhyme or reason as to why some programs don't work (I'm using a 1541 drive if it makes any difference)?

Also, I got a bunch of copied disks with lots of sweet games on them, but, of course, the best ones don't work :x  The disks appear to be in great shape, no damage at all. Is there any rhyme or reason as to why some programs don't work (I'm using a 1541 drive if it makes any difference)?

More likely it was stored/sitting next to a magnetic source (audio speakers) and that will cause the data to be erased without damaging the look of the disk. But you can still re-use those disks just format them and save any other programs you may have to them

Thrust, winner of the "Greatest Budget Title ever released". Ever. Yep, that's right folks, when this baby debuted on the C64 back in May 1986, it cost all of £2 to buy! :D

Here in the UK at least...

As for the controls, yes it's keyboard only. Trust me, it's the best way to play it, you have full and proper control over every action.

Also, I got a bunch of copied disks with lots of sweet games on them, but, of course, the best ones don't work :x  The disks appear to be in great shape, no damage at all. Is there any rhyme or reason as to why some programs don't work (I'm using a 1541 drive if it makes any difference)?

As someone mentioned, it could be because, due to time and/or bad storage practices, the disks have gone bad over time.

It could also be because either your 1541 or the person's you got the games from is slightly out of alignment. Since the other disks work, it's probably not yours. Differences in speed and alignment can make disks work on one drive and not another.

What do you mean .. proper control over every action:  Left Right Tractor/Shield Thrust Fire .. What else is there?

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

Nothing. But whilst I haven't played the 2600 version, I imagine that shield is mapped to "down" and thrust is mapped to "up" on the joystick. But what if you wanted to thrust, use your shield and fire all at the same time? Unless I've imagined those controls wrongly, and maybe fire activates the laser and shield at the same time, you can do it all at the same time with the C64 keyboard.

Methinks I should play the 2600 version! :D

But what if you wanted to thrust, use your shield and fire all at the same time?

This is not allowed, even in the C64 version. You cannot shot when the shield is on.

Unless I've imagined those controls wrongly, and maybe fire activates the laser and shield at the same time, you can do it all at the same time with the C64 keyboard.

Methinks I should play the 2600 version!   :D

Good idea! :)

BTW: Down is shield on, up is thrust. And while the shield is enabled, the fire button can be used for thrust.