IGNORED

Question for collectors/traders

RecycledGamer

Hi all,

I'm toying with the idea (no pun intended) of producing a joystick and paddle "tester". I am hoping to get some feedback from this group as to the likelyhood that you would be interested in such an item and at what price

The tester would:

- be portable - i.e.: would fit in a pocket and be powered by a standard battery (probably AA)

- allow quick testing of Atari 2600 compatible joysticks/paddles through a series of LEDs

- test all axes of joystick

- test all buttons

- test the potentiometers in paddles or driving controllers for "jitteryness" (resistance test through full range)

In all likelyhood, the tester would live in a 2600 cartridge case.

Because it would be portable, would this be useful while thrifting? Or at home while troubleshooting bad joysticks? Is it just as easy to test the controllers on your 2600 console?

Would it be better if it:

- Allowed testing of Atari AC adapters?

- Allowed testing of other 2600 controllers such as the keypads or Video Touch Pad?

- Allowed testing of controllers for oother Atari consoles or other platforms altogether? If so, which?

While I realize that a simple tester could be built quite easily by most with a rudimentary understanding of electronics, what would it be worth to get a small, quality tester like I described?

Yes, I know that Atari produced a similar device for use in stores.

I'm not hoping to make a million on this... it just sounds like a fun garage project that I may build for myself. I thought I'd gauge the value to the rest of you before I start.

Feel free to answer one or all (or none) of my questions. Thanks in advance for your help and interest, even if it's just to say that it's a dumb idea.

Chuck-mac

In all honesty I wouldn't have any need for this. Tthere are plenty of ways (including the very fine TestCart!) to test these items at home, and since the vast majority of 2600 controllers found in the wild only cost a c couple of bucks at most, I just buy all the ones I see and repair the ones that I can. I can't think of a situation where I''ve ever thought "Well, I'd buy these joysticks if I could be sure they worked."