IGNORED

Wolfenstein 2600

neotokeo2001

Robert..... I just wanted to say thanks for the hack. Totally awesome work!

Your welcome. You should thank Neotokeo2001 as well. It was his inspiration to hack Venture into Wolfenstien for VCS. I liked the idea very much and it steamrolled from there to what we have now.

Cheers!

Umm, that looks like the futuristic Berzerk font. Totally wrong for the Wolfenstein theme.

Good Point!

How about the new Font pictured below?? Or should we just keep the original?

Also a new crusher wall design. The old one could not be used because of detection problems.

Anybody notice the new map screen sound?? Should this sound be used or the one in the earlier versions?

post-3832-1101861981_thumb.jpg

post-3832-1101861982_thumb.jpg

wolfenstein_a_3.zip

Looks good to me.  :D   I will have the instructions finished tonight or tomorrow.

Can't wait to see the finished product. :D

Hey!! I finally got to the Secret Level! Cool Stuff. I like the way it actually adds to your score. I can consistently beat the game now, but I still think the difficulty is OK. I like having a definite ending, that way you can go back and try to beat your High Score.

The latest BIN file will be the Final BIN unless someone can come up with something else. I have beaten the game several times with no bugs.

Scott,

I found a minor bug in the game. The bug is that in the catacomb-ish room one of the tunnels is to short for the monsters to pass through so they never use it. If you want to fix it make this change:

byte $xfbe is currently set to $2E = 46 decimal.  Change it to $2C = 44 decimal.

I don't see any more problems.

I finally was able to beat the game on the highest difficulty, so it is possible to win at all 4 difficulty levels.

IMHO, I think then the highest difficulty should be set even higher. Not an insult, and I certainly don't know your game playing abilities, but especially for a game with a 'definitive' ending, should be next to impossible at its harddest setting. I believe it adds to the lasting value and challenge of the title.

Just my 2 cents,

Trebor

...I can consistently beat the game now, but I still think the difficulty is OK....

Again, in harmony with my last post (And if this is true at the 'harddest' level setting), then the difficulty of the game should be turned up a bit at the harddest setting.

All the Best,

Trebor

...I can consistently beat the game now, but I still think the difficulty is OK....

Again, in harmony with my last post (And if this is true at the 'harddest' level setting), then the difficulty of the game should be turned up a bit at the harddest setting.

All the Best,

Trebor

Well, keep in mind I have been playing this game for about a year now. So it took me about 1 year to beat the hardest difficulty setting. Has anyone playtesting the game beaten it in emulation at any difficulty level except the creators?

Regards,

I finally was able to beat the game on the highest difficulty, so it is possible to win at all 4 difficulty levels.

IMHO, I think then the highest difficulty should be set even higher. Not an insult, and I certainly don't know your game playing abilities, but especially for a game with a 'definitive' ending, should be next to impossible at its harddest setting. I believe it adds to the lasting value and challenge of the title.

Just my 2 cents,

Trebor

I am beating the game at the normal default difficulty. I can't even imagine how Robert does it at the higher difficulty.

so is there a final BIN, post-bug?  And is this to be released before the new year in cart form or any form for that matter?

The Final BIN will be posted shortly. The only thing left to do is fix the one line that Robert mentioned. (atwwong) has tested it on real hardware with no problems.

The plan is to have a Boxed Deluxe Edition and also a cart only version. Details are still being worked on as well as a new original label design. Details will be posted soon. It should be available before the end of the year.

I am beating the game at the normal default difficulty. I can't even imagine how Robert does it at the higher difficulty.

It took me a while to find a winning strategy. You need to be very cautious and plan your actions for each room. Duck in take a look and duck back out. Plan your attack and then go in. If things aren't going as planned, then it is better to retreat and restart the room and save a life than die.

The same goes for the floorplan rooms, Always stay put as you begin a level or exit a room until you understand where each guard is going in its patrol pattern.

I will see these tips in the instructions I will post later tonight.

Cheers!

so is there a final BIN, post-bug?  And is this to be released before the new year in cart form or any form for that matter?

Stan, I think we have a final bin. I told Scott I could not see anything wrong with the latest bin. I expect him to post the final bin tonight.

Regards,

Stan, I think we have a final bin. I told Scott I could not see anything wrong with the latest bin. I expect him to post the final bin tonight.

Regards,

Here it is. The only difference is the minor bug correction.

Download Final BIN

http://atariage.com/forums/download.php?id=32903

finally got on the ball and played this baby. Very nicely done. Intro screen is beautiful, the guards' movements and patrol is brilliant, they really box you in sometimes! The game is very challenging and fun, I LOVE the added levels. Top notch work here.

One comment, I do think you get the gun too soon. I was wondering if you could hold that off until level 2 or even 3. Its a very neat idea, having a power-up, but I think you get it too soon, and don't really appreciate how useful it really is.

But that is just me being picky. Great great hack here, I love it.

One comment, I do think you get the gun too soon.  I was wondering if you could hold that off until level 2 or even 3.  Its a very neat idea, having a power-up, but I think you get it too soon, and don't really appreciate how useful it really is.

But that is just me being picky.  Great great hack here, I love it.

That's an interesting idea. It would be easy to move the gun to level 2. There is a problem though that the current code assumes when you find the ammo on level 2, that you already have the gun from level one. So a change to the code would be required to avoid the weirdness of picking up ammo and getting a gun as well.

I could make the player rely on the knife more by reducing the amount of ammo received when you pick up a gun or ammo pack. That would be a simple 1 byte change in the current ROM. It is currently set to 18 bullets minus the difficulty level 0-3. I set it based on the idea that the player will see an average of about 13.5 enemies between reloads. I had it at 15 minus difficulty for a while which made ammo management an important aspect of the game. It increased the difficulty some.

At this point, however, I want to say this hack is complete. I will put your idea for moving the gun to a higher level into my future wish list basket.

What do people think about the idea of reduced ammo?