IGNORED

Wanted: Computer

RavenonesGF

Ok so it has nothing to do with gaming but I'm looking for a computer. I'm not looking for anything special because its not for me. I want to get my dad and brother a computer for their housr for christmas. I'm looking for something that's gonna run the internet well and run basic software. I just thought maybe some of you gamers might have something laying around because I'm not looking for something high powered that can run doom 3 and half life. If anyone has anything let me know the specs. Thanks

Jill

I did try best buy. Friday morning they had a computer for $200 but unfortunatly I wasn't lucky enough to get one. People were lined up since 3 in the morning to get in at 6 and I was unaware that people did that so when I got there at about quarter til six the line was wraped around their building. But anyway yea I tried bestbuy and it didn't work out for me.

an old Amiga could do it, as well as early Pentium machines - the kind all oer the thrift stores for $15. :) There are also some guys who created a browser for the 486 - it's kind of amazing to see it work. Having said all of that, you shoudl eb able to dig up a machine for well under $50-100 that would fit the bill.

Another option is to pick up a Dreamcast and the keyboard add-on. The built-in modem works great, and their browser software is really easy to use. I used a DC for the net for a while that my computer wasn't available (it's also a GREAT way to test webpages for WebTV compatibility).

Dell has a 2.4ghz Celeron for $343 w/out monitor.

40 gb HD, 256 RAM, DVD drive, CD RW, keyboard and mouse.

They have a free printer deal now too I think, and free two day shipping.

Overkill for what you want to use it for, but for that price it's hard

to say no.

Link:

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/c...s=19&l=en&s=dhs

It depends how much you're looking to pay. I'm sure I could set you up with a system.

Whereabouts in Ohio do you live? I also live in Ohio, and it would save loads of money on shipping if you just picked it up(computers and especially monitors are crazily expensive to ship), but I could always ship it too(if you don't feel comfortable picking it up, or can't).

Pm me, I'm sure we can work something out.

IceCold:

Ill probably be looking for a computer for basically internet and AIM in a month or so. I wouldnt want anything special, probably something in the range of 400-800 mhz, 128-256mb ram, ethernet card, other basics... If I planned on buying one in the future could you scrounge up enough parts to build me one? If you could, could you also qoute me a price?

Thanks - Sean

--------------------------------------

Sorry for stealing your topic :sad: - Sean

well I'll give you my computer situation update. My boyfriend and I priced one out with building it ourselves and with all the rebates and stuff places are giving now we can build an AMD sempron 2400+ with 512mb ram and a 60gig hard drive with XP home for $250. I'm thinking thats gonna be my best bet after I pick up a cheapy monitor at goddwill.

well I'll give you my computer situation update.  My boyfriend and I priced one out with building it ourselves and with all the rebates and stuff places are giving now we can build an AMD sempron 2400+ with 512mb ram and a 60gig hard drive with XP home for $250.  I'm thinking thats gonna be my best bet after I pick up a cheapy monitor at goddwill.

Sounds like a pretty good plan. I don't know where you live, but if you live in the Akron area, the Goodwill on Waterloo road almost always has monitors.

Sean - yeah, I'm sure I could scrounge up the parts for that. Would you need a monitor too?

I could even sell you a laptop that satisfies those requirements(and does pretty well at it, can watch videos and stuff) for around $200-$250.

If you don't want a laptop, just tell me whether or not you need a monitor and I can figure out a price.

If you still need a computer I have a few here, I bought a lot at a poultry auction. I just needed two to rip a couple large format printers. I think I paid $120 per, they are dell opteron 110s business units. So they are a lot nicer and sturdy than their home versions. PIIIs 500mhz 128k ram 6G drives floppy cd reader and I think they all have a zip too. They all booted when I brought em home, I could even throw win 98 and graphic suites on it for em. Macro Adobe Corel whatever let me know probably be around $135-$140 delivered to ohio (valley?) just kiddin. The only thing you would need is a monitor. pm me cause I'll forget about this in 20 minutes, it's STML thing.