IGNORED

composite out to TV and emu's

Mock

ok so I have my EMU box all set up...so far here is what I have:

MAME - working well

Z26 - working well

NES - working well

GBA - working well - although I only have a couple of ROMS for some older stuff like Tetris and such.

Here's where the problems start...

I have tried MESS for the 7800 and the 5200 and a couple of the others...have issues with MESS...it played a couple of games for the 7800 but now it gives me some sort of error saying it can't load to many files or something.

Is there anything like Z26 that will run 5200 or 7800? I really like the interface for it.

The couple of times I got MESS to work, only the video on the PC monitor worked, the line out to the TV was screwed up looking...do you have to adjust the cycles or something?

any advice on setting up an emu like this to play on a regular TV through a composite out on the video card?

:ponder:

Like my name suggests, I've got an emu computer wedged inside of an Onkyo CD player and running s-video out into an HDTV. So what exactly are you trying to do? Do you have your composite out card? It seems like you've got a pretty good handle on things.

• 3 weeks later...
any advice on setting up an emu like this to play on a regular TV through a composite out on the video card?

:ponder:

I got one word for you: TVtool

This niche but extremely useful utility lets you configure your video card's tv output. It recognizes most major tv enconder chips used in today's video cards and talks to them directly, allowing you to get the best quality possible out of your tv output. Some features:

* TVtool removes the black bars surrounding tv display images taking advantage of all the possible TV screen real state.

* Fixes tv out problems like "tv out not detected" and "tv out registered as PAL instead of NTSC" that usually can't be fixed with native driver options.

* It adds extra resolutions not found in generic video drivers (eg, dvd resolution 720x480).

* It puts all the options often buried in different nvidia/ati menus in one place.

* TVtool also lets you configure dual monitors more easily.

I have tried it with my video cards and the results are impressive. Only one drawback I know of: it provides limited support to newer nvidia cards with the MV tv encoder chip because Nvidia has not released the technical specs for this chip. Still I strongly recommend it to anyone looking to hook a pc to a tv.