IGNORED

Pokey in FPGA?

Cybernoid

Since the address of the cartridge hardware is fixed it would not be plug-and-play compatible with anything. You would have to modify the program to see Pokey at a different address.

I just modified RMT using a hex editor by searching for the pokey memory addresses and replacing them with new ones, so its not very difficult, in fact I bet most software could be done automatically.

You could do that, but the point is to make something that doesn't require a hardware mod. I wouldn't stop you from adding a switch. I can see how it could be done with one additional mux chip.

You could also make a PBI device that uses the whole address bus, that way you could decode the additional Pokeys at address $d200 and $d210. As long as you disable reads from the Pokeys on the PBI this should be okay...

However, it is easy to make a modified RMT player that uses the CCTL address space. Other programs could be modified as well.

I would also like to see a dual-sid cart for the Atari, and also a dual-sid/dual-pokey cart. Though, this last one will take up too much space in a cart.... it would be nice.

Heck, you could even do a pseudo-dolby 5.1 channel surround sound cart, but it would take 6 Pokeys! :lolblue: :music:

If we put 2 pokeys into a cart and use A7 to select between the two... one at $d500 and the other at $d580, with a stereo jack...It should be easy to do for plug and play :)

Can I ask why there is used A7 ($d500/$d580) to select first or second pokey?

Why you don't use A4 so that there was first pokey at $d500 and second at $d510. It would be more similar to standard ($d200 for standard built-in pokey and 16 addresses below at $d210 is established location for second built-in pokey).

Can I ask why there is used A7 ($d500/$d580) to select first or second pokey?

Why you don't use A4 so that there was first pokey at $d500 and second at $d510. It would be more similar to standard ($d200 for standard built-in pokey and 16 addresses below at $d210 is established location for second built-in pokey).

I guess A4 would be compatible with the idea posted about adding the toggle switch for external Pokey too, letting it automatically recognize it as a regular Gumby upgrade.

Changing it to A4 sounds like a pretty good idea. :D

I guess it would be possible to add some internal hardware that would allow any accesses to Pokey, Antic, Gtia, PIA, etc show up on the CCTRL address space. Make it configuratable be a $d500 register somewhere and you are set. This is a whole different discussion, though.

This would be most useful for adding extra Pokeys and Antics...if that is useful. :)