IGNORED

USB Cart Thread

Goochman

For just testing the basic hardware you can download the USB DDK disk from the ABBUC microusb.org site.

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/microus...kd.atr?download

When you boot that ATR with the cartridge inserted, it should detect the USB bus controller as SL811HS v1.5. You can also do 'CHECKUSB1' and 'REGTEST' at the command prompt to test the bus controller registers.

Hi,

we have packed all drivers available today on one ATR Diskimage for endusers to use:

http://www.strotmann.de/twiki/bin/view/Mic...AtariDriverDisk

What is on the disk:

Filename Comment

------------------------------------------------

DOS.SYS Atari Dos 2.5 FMS

DUP.SYS Atari Dos 2.5 DUP

BIBOASS.COM Bibo Assembler

USBKEY.SRC USB Simple Keyboard Driver Source

USBKEY.COM USB Simple Keyboard Driver

USBWHEEL.SRC USB Wheel Driver (Thrustmaster) Source

USBWHEEL.COM USB Wheel Driver (Thrustmaster)

USBTEST.COM USB Human Interface Devices (HID) Test Program

USBJOYPD.SRC USB digital Joypad Driver Source

USBJOYPD.COM USB digital Joypad Driver

USBJOYST.SRC USB analog Joystick Driver Source

USBJOYST.COM USB analog Joystick Driver

BOULDER.COM Boulder Dash 1 for USB digital Joypad

All driver will simulate a normal Atari Joystick on Port 1 and will also give access to the USB HID Registers for that device.

We will publish a Users Manual and a Developers Manual for each driver shortly.

The USBTEST.COM HID Test Program will detect an Human Interface Devices attached the USB Cart. It will poll the USB Device and will print out the 8 bytes in the HID Packets when the device sends data. Any Atari Key will stop the polling. Type USB[RETURN] to start polling again, hit return to attach a new USB device. Type MON to go to DOS.

If your device is not working with the available drivers, test this device with the USBTEST.COM Program. If you see values, we can write drivers for this. If not, then the device is using a non-HID Protocol or is attached to an internal USB HUB and will not work today.

If you have problems, send us your problem reports ONLY via the Sourceforge Bugtracking System (not E-Mail or in any forum)

The Bugtracking System is at

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=1...428&atid=659189

Please list:

* Type of device

* Device Name

* Vendor

* Drivers tested

* Output of USBTEST.COM (sorry, you have to type it from the screen for now)

Best regards

Carsten Strotmann

Since the idea of a USB Stick HD is a popular one with others that bought this cart I wonder if folks would be willing to pay say $20 each for the driver to be written?

Can the USB cart drive booting the A8 into DOS from the USB device?

Well, for me money not is the problem (when it comes to write USB drivers), it is my spare time. And givining me enough money that I can quit my job and work only on USB will require more then $20 ;) ( a lot more )

Ok, it seems to be possible to write a Druver to access files on an USB Stuck, but we will never be able to boot from the USB Cart as it is today. For that we would need an Cartridge rom on the Cart.

Best regards

Carsten

THough youd never make enough writing 8bit USB drivers for a daily job, the idea was everyone who bought a USB cart would pitch in $20 each - that would be a bit more incentive, no?

Yes, I know, I was not serious on this daily job thing ;) .

No, money is not an incentive for me, that's why it's OpenSource. I would be happy if more people would join and help a little bit. Spend a few hours helping the project instead spending money. It is more fun.

But maybe someone else is motivated writing drivers for some money?

Ciao

Carsten

Since the idea of a USB Stick HD is a popular one with others that bought this cart I wonder if folks would be willing to pay say $20 each for the driver to be written?

Can the USB cart drive booting the A8 into DOS from the USB device?

It would help if someone can sponsor USB Devices for the team to test and write drivers for.

So if you like to see drivers for a particular USB device

a) send us the USB Device

or

b) send us money to buy such a device

We would write the driver with the help of the device

and either we

a) send the device back to you

or

b) sell the device on E-Bay and sending the money to the Free Software Foundation (FSF)

Best regards

Carsten

goochman, are you using ape with your A8 ? im gonna hook up my 130xe to my pc tonight and see if i can find the info on my archos mini HD. i know the HD can be used with both macs and pcs, so maybe a driver will be able to be created for it?

ive never used ape yet, but ive owned my registered copy well over a year now, maybe i can help, who knows :)

Hmmmmmm - you cant hook your HD directly to the Atari - it has to be hooked up to your PC - then APE'd as a drive to teh Atari.

You will prob need to load SpartaDOS or MyDos - You can pick a Directory as a Virtual Image that you can select files from on your Atari -

However,

There is a limit to the amount of files any of the DOS's can manage per directory - maybe 32 comes to mind???

got my update from Classics, my APE is prefect, now im gonna practice with it and get back here soon. gonna try and see if that USBTEST.COM file will dump the information from the usb HD device :) with that said, maybe i will be learning something new :) thankyou for the help Steve.

talk to you soon Goochman :)

Hmmmm - Im a bit confused - this thread is talking about running the USB drivers on a real Atari - the USBTEST.COM and other folks are run from Dos 2.5 on your Atari and has nothing to do with Windoze DOS sessions - unless Im confused?

Glad to hear APE is working - I have 2.0.9 as well

im confused,

I believe there is a program called USBTEST.COM there that will dump the information about your USB device. You can post that in the USB thread at AA or send it directly to Carsten and he should be able to tell you if a driver can be written or already has been written.

this is what Classics said to do, so maybe it is with the Atari hardware

confused :?