IGNORED

GEOS port for atari ?

TXG/MNX

Hi,

I was looking on the internet for some source code and I saw this http://members.elysium.pl/ytm/html/geos.html

GEOS source for download. Now these days we have found so much more advanced techniques for graphics modes, would it be possible to have a nice GEOS on the 8-bit ? Or are there more things that would make the c64 better then the 8-bit atari ?[/url]

The C-64 has the advantage that GEOS allready works on it.

However, it would not be impossible to port the software. The GEOS interface, as I remember it, was black-and-white, like the early Macintosh computer, and definatley not beyond the capabilities of the Atari. I have heard of a version of GEOS for Apple-II computers, which are farther removed from the C-64 than the Atari is.

There have been recent revisions of the GEOS OS that run on a C-64 with an external 16-bit proccessor called the SuperCPU, which is not available for the Atari. The hardware hackers will have to get to work on an Atari version.

Drooooooollllllllll

I have the Diamond Desktop cartidge which was a good first step towards a Geos like system - Lots of good stuff except no real support on the application side, runs from a cartidge and didnt have alot of DOS support :(

There are some other system like BOSS and something else that run pretty well but we'll never have the 'mouse' type applications like GEOS.

Atari GEOS? Working with SpartaDos?

Pant! Pant!

Drool! Drool!

When I first started selling used and rebuilt PCs (about 1991), I put this on

every XT and 286 I built.

A GUI that didn't need extended memory.

I liked it better than Win3.0 or Win3.1 Too bad that development

ceased because of Windoz.

I saw this run on a C64 and did I ever want it for my Atari!

God bless the man who ports this FINE program!

In my opinion, a GUI that does nothing but file management is pretty useless. There is a lot more involved in using a computer besides moving files around.

A GUI in a modern sense of the term is a graphics UI API which applications can use without having to reinvent the wheel.

Diamond GOS was supposed to be a full GUI environment. But most of the GUI stuff I've seen on the 8-bit has been just a fancy file manager.

So, do Apple GEOS programs work on the C64 GEOS and vice versa? If not then all those apps will have to be ported in addition to the OS itself. I think that was the point being made that if someone spent all this effort to convert it what will we have? Would anyone also convert these other complex apps?

As mentioned above, I have Diamond - but it doesnt work with any of the HD solutions :( That kinda bummed me out.

So, do Apple GEOS programs work on the C64 GEOS and vice versa?  If not then all those apps will have to be ported in addition to the OS itself.  I think that was the point being made that if someone spent all this effort to convert it what will we have?  Would anyone also convert these other complex apps?

If I remember correctly...

No, the apple programs didn't work on the C64/128 versions of Geos. Apps had to be ported or custome written for each platform specificly. Likewise, if I recall, data & files created by said programs wern't directly compatable with their crossplatform counterpart programs either.

I've mentioned this before and I'll do it again, every time some one asks about a GEOS-like desktop for the 8-bit Atari, while Diamond was alright, and S.A.M is supposed to be pretty good (though I've not tried it myself) the absolute best "windows" system for the 8-bit Atari ALREADY EXISTS, complete and FAR, FAR, FAAAAAR SUPERIOR to GEOS in EVERY WAY! It's called ATOS and can be found here: http://cth.hn.org/clearOld1.html

The only thing is that you need either a harddrive for the 8-bit or an SIO2PC cable and a PC of course (What I use), becuase it's 16MB in it's entirety. It has EVERYTHING. It's better than even GEM/NEODESK for the ST IMHO. It does far more than would think possible! You MUST check it out. The best part is IT'S TOTALLY FREE (I actually offer the author some money for it anyway, and he turned me down! IT'S THAT GOOD!

NOTE: it used to be free, looks like an even better version is going to be published soon or something, I'll see if I can locate the free version I have and post the link. It'll be worth every penny and more anyway...

Yes! STILL FREE! I'm not sure what that first link is, other than some nice words about it, guess it's real old stuff, but the link above is the REAL THING. You really woun't believe how AMAZING ATOS is! I still can't believe my 8-bit Atari has such a superb "windows" operating system, and it can be used with spartados or several other Dos's!

Sorry for all the posts, if I could edit I would have incorporated it all in one post. Anyway, one more thing about ATOS, it will work with ALL the atari software you already have! ANYTHING can be run from the ATOS desktop, plus it has TONS of cool apps of it's own! Screen savers! desktop pictures (wallpaper)! desktop icons! SOOOO MUCH! Sorry, I've just never been more impressed with an OS in my life, especially for an 8-bit!

Just wanted to mention about the BOSS.

Take a look at http://www.atarixle.de and you can find 3 versions of this graphical OS. BOSS XL was first one and runs on most of the 8 Bit Ataris, BOSS XE has more features and needs a more powerful machine (like an 130XE) and BOSS X is the most powerful one, but you will need at least a HD connected to your ATARI.

BOSS jet is in development and its fastly growing. It´s written in Turbobasic XL so there is no official support for SpartaDOS. Therefore it uses the advantages of MyDOS a lot.

Take a look at the pictures of BOSS X and you´ll see it even provides coloured icons in gfx 8 style mode!

regards from Europe :)

Ok - I looked at ATOS and BOSS - both of which would not work with MyIDE - Has this changed?

I know that Mirko Sobe, the Author of BOSS, is working with an MyIDE, so at least BOSS should support MyIDE. At least the system he is using works from MyIDE. Maybe there are different versions.

Carsten

Ok - I looked at ATOS and BOSS - both of which would not work with MyIDE - Has this changed?

I know that Mirko Sobe, the Author of BOSS, is working with an MyIDE, so at least BOSS should support MyIDE. At least the system he is using works from MyIDE. Maybe there are different versions.

Carsten

I have an external MyIDE - I thnk the internal MyIDE works with BOSS - I will have to recheck.

Now, I admit that I know nothing about myIDE, but why WOULDN'T ATOS work with it? It's an HD system isn't it? If myIDE works with normal DOS's like spartados than ATOS should work with it. How are files accessed with myIDE? Is myIDE connected through the cartridge port? Does Spartados work with it? Have you tried a Spartados X cartridge (with it's pass-through port) with myIDE?

Anyway, all it takes is a simple e-mail to the author of ATOS, his e-mail or contact info is on the site, he could tell you if ATOS works with myIDE or why it doesn't and if it will. Believe me, ATOS is WELL WORTH any effort you have to make to get it working with your set-up. It's got SOOO much it can do that I can't begin to list it's features and apps.

Now, I admit that I know nothing about myIDE, but why WOULDN'T ATOS work with it? It's an HD system isn't it? If myIDE works with normal DOS's like spartados than ATOS should work with it. How are files accessed with myIDE? Is myIDE connected through the cartridge port? Does Spartados work with it? Have you tried a Spartados X cartridge (with it's pass-through port) with myIDE?

Part of the problem with SpartaDOS and MyIDE is that Sparta uses the RAM under the OS, and the softOS version of the MyIDE drivers tries to do that too.

There may also be a problem with the fact that the MyIDE OS intercepts calls to SIOV to direct appropriate reads/writes to the HD, and Sparta may interfere with that somehow??? I don't have a RomOS for MyIDE yet, so I can't test this out.

ATOS doesn't work with anything by SpartaDOS. I just looked at it again, and it is very cool. I will have to try it out again... I think I had a problem getting my Amiga mouse to work with it for some reason and didn't bother going any further with it.

BTW: I have pretty much completed version 2.0 of my Image Manager software for the MyIDE interface. It is significantly improved over version 1.2, and a nasty bug is fixed too. Only highspeed sio is left to implement, but I may release it as is right now.

Part of the problem with SpartaDOS and MyIDE is that Sparta uses the RAM under the OS, and the softOS version of the MyIDE drivers tries to do that too.

There may also be a problem with the fact that the MyIDE OS intercepts calls to SIOV to direct appropriate reads/writes to the HD, and Sparta may interfere with that somehow??? I don't have a RomOS for MyIDE yet, so I can't test this out.

ATOS doesn't work with anything by SpartaDOS. I just looked at it again, and it is very cool. I will have to try it out again... I think I had a problem getting my Amiga mouse to work with it for some reason and didn't bother going any further with it.

BTW: I have pretty much completed version 2.0 of my Image Manager software for the MyIDE interface. It is significantly improved over version 1.2, and a nasty bug is fixed too. Only highspeed sio is left to implement, but I may release it as is right now.

Thanks for the info, but I'm pretty sure one of the versions of Spartados; either 1.0 or 2.0 use different memory locations, I'll have to look at my manual again, it's been a while, but I'm also pretty sure that you can specifically tell sparta dos to load into a different memory location of your choice, which would eliminate the memory location conflict. Also, I do believe that versions of ATOS were/are being made that use Dos's other than sparta dos, so look a little closer into ATOS, I will as well. Last thing: you wrote above "ATOS doesn't work with anything by SpartaDOS", what are you talking about? I use Spartados with it all the time?!?