IGNORED

The "Fabulous Eleven"

Lauren Tyler

I recently just visited the Atari 7800 history webpage (www.atari7800.com) and read about the "Fabulous Eleven" for the system. I had no idea there was such a thing, and then I reviewd my collection and saw that I owned the entire collection without even realizing it! :)

For those who are curious as to what the Fabulous Eleven are:

Centipede

Asteroids

Dig Dug

Food Fight

Galaga

Joust

Ms. Pac-Man

Pole Position II

Robotron: 2084

Xevious

Desert Falcon

Is there anyone else out there who has the entire Fabulous Eleven in their collection?

Didn't Atari also announce a couple of titles that didn't come out which were intended for the launch? Track and Field (not found yet) and Rescue On Fractalus (found) were part of the announcement I think.

While the Tramiel versions of these games are easy to find, the Warner versions are more difficult. Not sure if they all were built under Warner, but at least a few were ... without the cheap Tramiel grey labels.

Didn't Atari also announce a couple of titles that didn't come out which were intended for the launch? Track and Field (not found yet) and Rescue On Fractalus (found) were part of the announcement I think.

Several.

Tack and Field

Moon Patrol

Millipede

Jr. Pac-Man

RoF

Sky Fox

Tempest

It seems to me that Sky Fox was a Tramiel annoucement...

Anyhow... gotta run!

Cheers!

Joey

You sure about that?

The way I understood it, the 1986/7 releases on the Atari 7800 were games that Warner had either developed, started developing or secured the license for. Jack merely dusted off the pieces to get them to market cheaply.

It seems to me that Sky Fox was a Tramiel annoucement...

Anyhow... gotta run!

Cheers!

Joey

You sure about that?

The way I understood it, the 1986/7 releases on the Atari 7800 were games that Warner had either developed, started developing or secured the license for. Jack merely dusted off the pieces to get them to market cheaply.

Methinks (although I could be totally off on this) that Skyfox was part of the deal that secured One on One and Touchdown Football.

If you look back to that Atari 7800 CES promo video (and I don't have it right now - I'm at a friend's place), they mentioned new games from Epyx, Broderbund(??), and Electronic Arts. I've seen nothing to indicate that One on One was in the works at GCC, so I've always assumed that Skyfox was the other part of this deal which - for whatever reasons - never came together.

In the early Tramiel 7800 days, there seemed to be an emphasis on computer ports for the 7800 - likely because arcade licenses were all gobbled up by Nintendo during Atari's absence. Hence, the Skyfox licence.

Anyhow - like I say, I could be 100% wrong. This is merely based on what I've observed and assumed.

Cheers!

Joey

If you look back to that Atari 7800 CES promo video (and I don't have it right now - I'm at a friend's place), they mentioned new games from Epyx, Broderbund(??), and Electronic Arts. I've seen nothing to indicate that One on One was in the works at GCC, so I've always assumed that Skyfox was the other part of this deal which - for whatever reasons - never came together.

Quite possible. Where I'm thinking there may have been overlap is in the license. Much like Mario Brothers for the 7800, the license could have been secured in 1984 and carried through for a 1987 release. Could have ...

But I could be wrong.

In the early Tramiel 7800 days, there seemed to be an emphasis on computer ports for the 7800 - likely because arcade licenses were all gobbled up by Nintendo during Atari's absence. Hence, the Skyfox licence.

Interesting point. One of the reasons why I ask was because the computer port thing was always an ojective of Warner's as well.

In the world without the NES in 1984, Atari was feeling the heat from consoles like Colecovision but also cheaper computers like the Commodore 64. The 7800 was originally designed to combat both ... hence the out of the box backwards compatibility and also the keyboard unit planned.

Lol interesting to see that the term "Fabulous Eleven" has caught on as much as it has.

Here is an on-site AtariAge link to a scan of the "Fabulous Eleven" in the first Atari product catalogue that featured the 7800 product line. I believe this catalogue marks the only time the "Fabulous Eleven" were featured together exclusively, as well as the only time all three systems (2600, 5200, & 7800) were featured side by side in an Atari product catalogue.

http://www.atariage.com/catalog_page.html?...7&currentPage=3

I'd like to post a feature article this spring on atari7800.com about the "Fabulous Eleven" ...if anyone feels like writing something just PM me.

That's a good point. My guess is it was an "afterthought" in terms of it was thought up after the Tramiels decided to push the systems again, not back during the 1984 launch of the 7800. I'm not certain what warner's policy was on 7800 software but I know the Tramiels had stated to their vendors that they were implimenting a policy (or attempting to anyway) of developing and releasing game titles for all three Atari systems(26,78 & XE) and picking up the fourth (Lynx) in 1989... meaning that a title such as desert falcon or scrapyard dog would be cross polinated through all four systems. This wasn't always the case but the Tramiels were discussing it openly around 1988 or 1989 which is when Desert Falcon hit the 2600.

Just a guess though.

• 4 years later...

Whats up with the atari7800.com website?.When i go to the site i get redirected to this weird getdevious.com site,with a big photo of a 7800 console that moves around with mouse :ponder: :? Or my browser flashes the web address,non stop!

Edited by Rik