IGNORED

The "Fabulous Eleven"

Lauren Tyler

This thread is nearly 5 years old dude.

And that answers my question how?......

BallBlazer wasn't one of the original 11 launch titles. That's why it's not on this list.

and bumping 5 year old threads to ask questions that are ALREADY ANSWERED ABOVE answers your question how, wiseass.

Edited by Underball

BallBlazer wasn't one of the original 11 launch titles. That's why it's not on this list.

and bumping 5 year old threads to ask questions that are ALREADY ANSWERED ABOVE answers your question how, wiseass.

Hmmmm... Ballblazer was indeed supposed to be released in 1984 along with Rescue on Fractalus. There were supposed to be at least 13 titles initally offered with the 7800's first wave of games (14 if you count the completed but not yet found Track and Field. According to GCC this was ready to go in 1984) My question was simply why Ballblazer was not considered good enough to be part of the "fab 11". It's a subjective list and my question WASN'T answered until Stephen said it was simply because GCC didn't design it.

It doesn't. You would probably get a better response in one of the 2 other threads that you have started on a similar subject.

Those threads are concerning GCC, NOT the "Fabulous 11" The 11 titles chosen are subjective. If the reason these titles are lumped together is because they were all designed by GCC...so be it. There is nothing implied in this thread that says that. I wanted to know why BallBlazer (a title I happen to think is more interesting than at least half the titles in the fabulous 11) wasn't included (or seemingly otherwise considered a "must have".

Edited by prostx23

Those threads are concerning GCC, NOT the "Fabulous 11" The 11 titles chosen are subjective. If the reason these titles are lumped together is because they were all designed by GCC...so be it. There is nothing implied in this thread that says that. I wanted to know why BallBlazer (a title I happen to think is more interesting than at least half the titles in the fabulous 11) wasn't included (or seemingly otherwise considered a "must have".

The fabulous 11 were supposed to be the first eleven games released for the 7800.

Mitch

Hmmmm... Ballblazer was indeed supposed to be released in 1984 along with Rescue on Fractalus. There were supposed to be at least 13 titles initally offered with the 7800's first wave of games (14 if you count the completed but not yet found Track and Field. According to GCC this was ready to go in 1984) My question was simply why Ballblazer was not considered good enough to be part of the "fab 11". It's a subjective list and my question WASN'T answered until Stephen said it was simply because GCC didn't design it.

see below.

The fabulous 11 were supposed to be the first eleven games released for the 7800.

Mitch

see below.

Mitch

I can't find any specific release dates on any of these games other than "1987". According to this...

http://www.atariage.com/catalog_page.html?CatalogID=67&currentPage=3

...and the GCC 20th Anniversary presentation Ballblazer was completed and set for release in 1984 as part of the first wave of 7800 games. I would assume (perhaps incorrectly) that Ballblazer was also amongst the first wave of games when the 7800 was re-released in 1986. If it was say... the 12th game released for the 7800 in 86/87... well that's a silly reason to not include it in this subjective "fabulous 11". I did not have the opprotunity to read the article referenced at the top of the thread so I may be missing a vital piece of info here, but I think it's more reasonable to assume that these games are placed together is because they are accurate conversions of arcade favorites (Desert Falcon being the exception) that also happened to be programmed by GCC.

And if that's the reason... fine... Ballblazer still kicks ass on the 7800.

Edited by prostx23

Ballblazer still kicks ass on the 7800.

Amen! It's so much better than the NES version, and I think it's even faster and smoother than the Atari 800 version (which is pretty good too). It's interesting that there was an Atari 2600 version being worked on by Tod Frye at Atari; it apparently didn't get beyond a few graphics demos, which have since been lost.

Edited by jaybird3rd

• 4 months later...

Ballblazer still kicks ass on the 7800.

Amen! It's so much better than the NES version, and I think it's even faster and smoother than the Atari 800 version (which is pretty good too). It's interesting that there was an Atari 2600 version being worked on by Tod Frye at Atari; it apparently didn't get beyond a few graphics demos, which have since been lost.

Tod Frye attempting to do BallBlazer for the Atari 2600? Hey, he tried to do Xevious, so I ain't surprised!

Well Rescue on Fractalus is one of the missing titles. What was the other one? Millipede? Electrocop? Track and Field?

Tempest

Track and Field seems likely. I remembered reading in the Atari 7800 section of the Digital Press Collectors Guide that Track and Field was being developed by GCC.

Edited by 8th lutz

Well Rescue on Fractalus is one of the missing titles. What was the other one? Millipede? Electrocop? Track and Field?

Tempest

Track and Field seems likely. I remembered reading in the Atari 7800 section of the Digital Press Collectors Guide that Track and Field was being developed by GCC.

So was Millipede. Tempest was being developed at Atari as well IIRC. It could have been anything really, maybe one of the GCC people know?

Tempest

They were planning Millipede for the Atari 7800 as well? Can't say I'm entirely surprised. Of course, when Jack Tramiel took over and laid off the majority of Atari's employees, the project was probably abandoned.

Speaking of which, why do they say Jack Tramiel fired Atari's employees? Wouldn't it be more appropriate to say they were laid off, since I generally think of being fired because of incompetence or misconduct, while being laid off is because of the restructuring.

I would guess Jr Pacman, Millipede or Track and Field with the first two being the most likely.

http://www.atari7800.org/museum/7800NTSCsoftwarelist.htm

Mitch

I was looking at the Press Kit again and it lists the thirteen games. Ballblazer and Rescue on Fractalus are the other two.

Mitch

Awesome material. Interesting to read that Pole Position II was planned to eventually be built into the console itself. That's certainly much better than the built-in game on SMS! However, it probably would've been better had they planned to build an Atari owned game with wide appeal to it, like Centipede.

Awesome material. Interesting to read that Pole Position II was planned to eventually be built into the console itself. That's certainly much better than the built-in game on SMS! However, it probably would've been better had they planned to build an Atari owned game with wide appeal to it, like Centipede.

I dunno about that cause Hang On was pretty darn good (better than PP2 IMO) and the extra Safari Hunt being on there also was a nice touch so you have both a game for the controllers and the gun right on the machine as soon as you plug it in.

I dunno about that cause Hang On was pretty darn good (better than PP2 IMO)

I was actually extremely disappointed in "Hang On". I remember back in the day being more impressed by Pole Position 2 (at least visually) than Hang On. I think there were better showcases for the SMS. Alex Kidd In Miracle World was a great pack-in for the SMS II, IMO.