IGNORED

Activision games at Burger King

Brian R.

I actually worked on these. I too wasn't very impressed with the fact that they wanted to use "Burgers" in Kaboom!, but.. "Hey! That's what they wanted." The trick to collecting these HARDCORE-wise, is that each of the handhelds will come in two (2) different color schemes. ;-)

The Al's have my prototypes and should be doing a review shortly.

Keep your eyes peeled, as there's also gonna' be a TV Commercial.

For those of you REALLY HARDCORE about these, you should get into the BK Kids Club as they're gonna' be doing an Activision "themed" newsletter, that'll be sent out to all of it's members.

I hope you all enjoy these little thingies. I think they'll do well. I know my daughter loves hers. She got to play with 'em about a month and half ago.

-K

I actually worked on these. I too wasn't very impressed with the fact that they wanted to use "Burgers" in Kaboom!, but.. "Hey! That's what they wanted." The trick to collecting these HARDCORE-wise, is that each of the handhelds will come in two (2) different color schemes. ;-)

The Al's have my prototypes and should be doing a review shortly.

Keep your eyes peeled, as there's also gonna' be a TV Commercial.

For those of you REALLY HARDCORE about these, you should get into the BK Kids Club as they're gonna' be doing an Activision "themed" newsletter, that'll be sent out to all of it's members.

I hope you all enjoy these little thingies. I think they'll do well.  I know my daughter loves hers. She got to play with 'em about a month and half ago.

-K

if youre going to be hardcore, youll need to include emulated versions in your next Activision compilation

My wife called about 6 BKs around town tonight and they all only just started putting out the Grand Prix one. So I went to one...and got a burger kids meal for each of my boys. Then they sold me two extra for only .99 cents each...2 of each color here...

they said they change them out about every week or two..so the misses will have to make a stop at least once each week to check up and pick them up for me.

These are basically the same as when Mickey Ds was doing the Sonic games..just with a retro theme that both the kids and adults and get into more.

Pretty cool idea...and we still have more Activision titles available for doing this again at a later date ehh? Frostbite comes to mine...Freeway...Fishing Derby....even a scaled down version of Seaquest perhaps?

My wife called about 6 BKs around town tonight and they all only just started putting out the Grand Prix one. So I went to one...and got a burger kids meal for each of my boys. Then they sold me two extra for only .99 cents each...2 of each color here...

they said they change them out about every week or two..so the misses will have to make a stop at least once each week to check up and pick them up for me.

These are basically the same as when Mickey Ds was doing the Sonic games..just with a retro theme that both the kids and adults and get into more.

Pretty cool idea...and we still have more Activision titles available for doing this again at a later date ehh? Frostbite comes to mine...Freeway...Fishing Derby....even a scaled down version of Seaquest perhaps?

From what I'm guessing, it looks like these games are limited to controls that are either up/down or left/right. So you can't have a fire button, nor can you have one that requires four-way movement.

Freeway could work. Fishing Derby, maybe, but it wouldn't work as well without being able to wiggle the line back and forth. I don't see Frostbite or Seaquest working in this format.

As soon as I found out from this thread that there were these games at burger king I went right out to buy them. I bought one purple and one gray and another gray to play with. This is definetly a good thing for the atari 2600. Now anyone that goes to a burger king will have a little bit more knowledge about a couple of old school atari 2600 games.

As soon as I found out from this thread that there were these games at burger king I went right out to buy them.  I bought one purple and one gray and another gray to play with.   This is definetly a good thing for the atari 2600.  Now anyone that goes to a burger king will have a little bit more knowledge about a couple of old school atari 2600 games.

You'd like to think that, but when I tried to tell the girl behind the counter a bit of the history of these games - basically that they were once big games on the Atari 2600 - she had no clue what I was talking about.

So, sadly, the only people who will appreciate these are those who already know where they come from. I'm sure a lot of people getting them will make no connection between these games and Atari.

Anyone else see some sort of irony in reproducing the limited bitmaps of the 2600 on an even more limited LCD panel? The one strength of these types of displays is that they can offer highly detailed images, so by reproducing the pixelated 2600 graphics on a display with low positional resolution, they're piling two weaknesses directly on top of each other. I think I'd actually have preferred it if they'd redrawn the 2600 sprites, but still kept them recognizable.

I am of course going to collect all of these, but anyone without first-hand knowledge of the 2600 will be wondering why the hell everything is so blocky.

I was in a Burger King earlier tonight, and, while asking if they had Kaboom, whipped out my minimally-Actiplaqued 2600 cartridge and said, "I want to compare it with the original." The teenagers behind the counter said things like, "wow! Where did you get that from?" and "How old is that?" Another gave me a thumbs-up sign and said, "yeah, Atari!"

They only had Grand Prix, though. The kid offered to sell it to me, but I turned him down as I never cared for the original game all that much 8)

Oh, Mindfield, the BK website says these are available in Canada.

Nice Wheel in Space Cyberman there, liveinabin :D Did you remember to switch to the sexual air supply?

Has anyone managed - or tried - to get one of these open, without destroying it in the process?

I'm curious to see what kind of battery is in there, and if it can be replaced.

I got the screws out, but the thing won't come apart, and I don't want to force it too much.

Has anyone managed - or tried - to get one of these open, without destroying it in the process?

I got the screws out, but the thing won't come apart, and I don't want to force it too much.

No, I never tried, I play mine through the package...

No, I never tried, I play mine through the package...

OK, you're just... weird. ;)