IGNORED

Activision games at Burger King

Brian R.

Dear BK CEO,

This is a cease and desists any picture or likeness of our Hamburglar®.

It has come to are attention that you are using a likeness of our trademark character Hamburglar in your new Kaboom toy as it has a (Blank and white) prison outfit with hamburgers.

Please stop immediately.

Senserly

McDonalds

Hey what about this Grand Prix toy. It gives me a car in all three lanes! Now how are use supposta get by that!

How do these things work?  I realize that they have a black and white LCD screen, but are they emulation, do they use a 2600-on-a-chip?  Or are they completely new re-makes of the game based on new code, etc, with just the graphics ripped and turned into black and white?

Nothing like that at all. They're just LCD games based on the originals. I only have Grand Prix, but it seems obvious to me they just went with games that would involve the player moving left/right OR up/down - not both. So in Grand Prix, you just have an LCD car at the left side of the screen that you move up and down to avoid the cars coming at you from the right.

BTW, hasn't anyone opened one of these yet? I tried to open mine, but couldn't despite getting the odd-headed screws out. I guess I could bust the thing open if I wanted, but I'd rather not sacrifice it, even if it's just $1.

What I want to know is - what kind of battery is in there, and can it be replaced?

I just got my Ka-Burger LCD game unit. I headed out to Burger King earlier today for a Big Fish sandwich. Because I'd read this thread before I left for the restaurant, I made darn good and sure to ask if they had the game units available. They did, and they were selling them for an impossibly low 69 cents without a kids' meal! Oh yeah, baby, sign me up for one of those!

From what I've played so far, I'm fairly impressed with the game unit. The LCD screen is very small and it seems very similar to the Super Monkey Ball game McDonald's was selling a year ago, but I mean, dude, you get a VIDEO GAME as a toy surprise in a kid's meal, or for less than a buck brand new. I would never have dreamed that that was possible twenty years ago. It's amazing just how far technology has advanced... the stuff that would have cost thirty or forty dollars in the 1980's is practically being given away as promotional items now.

JR

P.S. Hey Ken, if you're out there, let me know if you ever need help of any kind with another Activision collection. I noticed a bunch of Atari Age regulars mentioned in the credits of Activision Anthology and I'd be thrilled to have my name listed in the sequel.

Damn! I had to open the bag and take out the game to figure out how to turn it on! There's a switch on the back. :P

I got Kaboom! today, blue/gray color scheme, here in Orem, Utah.

I played a few rounds. It starts out slow, but then things heat up when you have two madbombers dropping hamburgers at the same time. I imagine it could have up to 3 madbombers at a time dropping burgers.

I told my wife about these games the other day, and tonight when I got home from work she actually suggested we go to Burger King for dinner! Quite a surprise, since she doesn't really like BK.

Anyway... we went, and I had feel a little guilty about snatching the toy out of the Kid's Meal bag before giving it to my 2-year-old. He's too young to "get it" anyway... even though we let him have the Sonic mini games he got in Happy Meals at McDonald's. (Not that he can actually figure out how to play them... he just likes pushing buttons and hearing beeps.)

So the game I got is Grand Prix... I guess that's what everyone's getting this week. I haven't decided yet if I want to take it out of the package.