IGNORED

HSC Season 2 Week 4: Dragonfire

Ze_ro

back in the old Atarinvader.com days, I wrote a complete strategy guide for Dragonfire.  So I thought I'd post the best excerpts from it.

Is there still a version online somewhere that I could link to? Or is it long gone by now?

--Zero

probably LOOOOOOOONG gone. If there is a shred of hope it lies in the fact that AI in its last days was on the AA server and the page may exist somewhere in the murky depths of the AtariAge server, but I would have NO way to go about finding it. maybe Albert would?

Oh, and here is my slightly improved score.

(ps the "retired" TAC-2 snapped in half about two games in, so its DOA, I'm down to the shaky Franken-gemstik, and if that goes, I'll be SOL for the forseeable. :sad: )

post-409-1108097956_thumb.jpg

Heya Ze_ro, could you add me to the HSC member list. I'm glad to be playing my atari again. I'm sorry I fell out of the last HSC. Life happens I guess. (Marriage throws ya for a loop.) My wife supports my gaming habit though. (Thank the powers that be.)

A score of 3410 to start things off makes me feel good. (I didn't say great, but it's a start. I've got some catching up to do.) I'm glad to see alot of the same names from last round. Hey ya everyone. 8)

Hi there!

What is that played on?! When I play the dragon spits out WAAAAAY more fireballs then he was shooting at you!

I recorded the video directly with the built-in AVI capture of the PCAE emulator.

Hm... it didn't feel much different from playing it on the real thing. I didn't even notice the PAL NTSC difference.

Is the white dragon normally shooting once or twice when crossing his path? In the video he's shooting only once. Maybe it just didn't record every other fireball?

Greetings,

Manuel

Hi there!

When I play the dragon spits out 7 or 8 fireballs in rapid fire succession. The video I saw of yours he's shooting one or two at a time really slow like.

Hm... really, no clue how accurate PCAE emulation and it's video generation is. I think it still shows how it's done though. :)

Greetings,

Manuel

When i play this game the dragon shoots out a huge number of fireballs in a pretty constant stream across the screen - perhaps this is my excuse for my scores being rubbish compared to everyone else.

im running stellax on an xbox....

Hi there!

When I play the dragon spits out 7 or 8 fireballs in rapid fire succession. The video I saw of yours he's shooting one or two at a time really slow like.

Hm... really, no clue how accurate PCAE emulation and it's video generation is. I think it still shows how it's done though. :)

Greetings,

Manuel

Hi there!

Ok, I played a quick round on the real thing again and I'm pretty certain now that it's just your mind playing tricks on you :)

The PCAE emulation and the video are spot on. Whitey fires only one fireball when you're crossing his horizontal position and even if you just move to the top and wait there, there's never more than 4 fireballs on the screen at once.

I think it just makes a difference wether you are playing fully adrenalized yourself or wether you just relax on watching the show ;)

Try recording a game on PCAE on your own and watch it an hour later and you'll see for yourself :lol:

Greetings,

Manuel

probably LOOOOOOOONG gone.

Ah, that's too bad :(

(ps the "retired" TAC-2 snapped in half about two games in, so its DOA)

High Score Club... wrecking more joysticks than ever before ;)

Anyways, here's a challenge finally: Post your one-life scores, and the highest will get an extra point! Take a screenshot after you lose your first life as proof of your score (Has to be on your first life)

--Zero

Hi there!

Anyways, here's a challenge finally: Post your one-life scores, and the highest will get an extra point! Take a screenshot after you lose your first life as proof of your score (Has to be on your first life)

Rats! That means I've to switch to emulation again for this...

Does the video already count? The recording ends on 9060 with the first life still intact :)

Greetings,

Manuel

Getting better - 11370.

I still can't consistently do well on the white dragon levels though - the figure 8 thing seems beyond me at the moment, as when I loop around I often seem to walk slap-bang into a fireball.

I'll keep trying, though (especially as I'm ahead of Keilbaca for once!) :grin: ;-)

post-4591-1108163613_thumb.jpg

Just for fun, I saw this in the JoyStik/July 1983:

DRAGONFIRE

Imagic, Inc. for Atari 2600 and Intellivision

** poor

In Dragonfire, you control a handsome prince who must collect treasures while contending with the fire-breathing dragon who guards them. You must first run across the long bridge that leads into the castle while ducking under or leaping over the dragons’ fireballs that fly in your path. Once you’ve entered the castle, you must grab a series of prizes –goblets, lamps, jugs, etc.— that are scattered throughout a treasure room. While doing this, you must dodge fireballs being shot up at you from the dragon, who scampers back and forth across the bottom of the screen. Once you’ve collected all the treasures, you must escape from the treasure room and do it all over again, crossing another bridge, grabbing more treasures, and so on. Despite the impressive graphics and relative difficulty of play (especially in higher levels), Dragonfire is not very exciting. It’s too repetitious to warrant extended play and not amusing enough to make it on entertainment value alone. It’s more draggin’ than it is fire.