IGNORED

Jaguar link up with the Lynx?

AtariLynx

Who said it would have saved them, and who said it would have made the jaguar a success.

You are projecting.

I simply asked why not? everything was there and while not going to save anything it would have likely clawed back some money for Atari.

What a strange and bitter response.

You must be new here.

• Like 3

That would be nice, but what we REALLY need is to have a do-over of AvP with the Lynx acting as the motion scanner output ;)

Hell yeah - especially now we have the killer McWill VGA screen mod. SainT's SD card would be the solution for the new game. There we go. Now just make it happen.

• 2 weeks later...

so i was reading that lynx by 1995 had hit 4 million units sold, maybe atari should of just designed tge jaguar to be an cd add-on for the lynx, that would turn the portable 16 bit lynx in to a home based 64 bit monster, the lynx would be the controller, attached to the cd unit attached ti tv.

if atari could if sold these to 1/4 of install base jag would be at a million units.

then add on the vr helmet selling to another 1/4 of user base 250k.

plus of course you would need a 2nd lynx for controller 2 thats another million lynx sold, leading to 250k jaguars sold and 75k more vr helmets, plus another 250k lynx sold as controller 2.

and so on, i just saved atari

should run as close as jaguar could get to virtua fighter, with fight for life, it may be black and white and slow with no sound but spot on otherwise, check out neogeo pocket it was spot on, genesis version was close to just need expert programmer.

if you the jag cd as a lynx add on it would fix all these problems, cause any issues the lynx had could be fixed with multiple cds+lynx game cards, and 80 bits of raw power, plus you'd get all the programmers working on lynx plus all the jaguar programmers working on 1 cohesive product.

all the jag developers were working on 1 cohesive product, and not a intergenerational / racial orgy of a cluster like sega

and they still failed so hard its a meme 25 years after the fact

I doubt adding in more complexity would have helped people not make shit ports

btw the genesis version of samuri showdown was very very good, but is still limited to other things outside of the cpu (mainly ram, and AV chipsets)

Edited by Osgeld

I doubt adding in more complexity would have helped people not make shit ports

Maybe not but having the Lynx comlinked up to use as a controller with tracking on the LCD while playing AvP would've been super badass and would have left quite an impression for its time. Don't think the idea was ever to have implemented support across multiple or many games but for the few games that would've made good use of it, would have been really cool.

• Like 1

look,if they developed it, it would happen, with my solution a lynx that you use as a controller attached to a jag cd, with another lynx for controller 2 would of kept atari focussed. they wouldnt of had anyone working or marketing a jag team tap, jag 6 button cotroller, repainted falcon controller, atari panther, or an upgrade to the jaguar.

so get all that money wasted on those items focussed on the lynx, upgrade. plus it will play all the good lynx games. when someone would wine aboutno new jag games you could say pick one of the 80 or so lynx game and wait, cause atari only releases the goid games on the lynx/jag cd combo unit.

plus you get a mascot game day one with scrapyard dog to the rescue

Edited by Pete5125

We all know the big saviour for Atari would have been getting the Pro-Skating franchise it was hoping for and why it built the Lynx in the 1st place. Lynx being the primary board you just needed the Trucks game add-on and you could play as your fave pro-skater of the 90's standing on your lynx whilst squinting at the screen between your feet. Would have been revolutionary and netted Atari billions of sold units.

• 5 months later...

Didn't Hand Made Software say the concept of using the lynx as an intelligent game controller on Jaguar games was simply far too flawed to actually work in real life?

Great concept (with lynx being used as a display device, Jaguar handling the code ) but ..

The Jaguar serial port never worked as it should have and in the majority of games, it was the processing of the display which took the most time, so a game would be limited by the restraints put on it by the Lynx and not the Jaguar.

Edited by Lost Dragon

Didn't Hand Made Software say the concept of using the lynx as an intelligent game controller on Jaguar games was simply far too flawed to actually work in real life?

Great concept (with lynx being used as a display device, Jaguar handling the code ) but ..

The Jaguar serial port never worked as it should have and in the majority of games, it was the processing of the display which took the most time, so a game would be limited by the restraints put on it by the Lynx and not the Jaguar.

What exactly were the issues with the serial port? Certainly if a data packet got mangled , jag can simply resend it. Or was it totally unreliable on a HW level ?

@ValdR:

I would be the very last person to ask about issues with serial ports, tech stuff just isn't me, at all :-))

I just remembered the quote being it never worked properly.

Thought it was worth bringing to the discussion, as i like to hear development teams thoughts on hardware and it was an alternative view to the established thinking that reason Atari never used the idea was it wasn't cost effective, too few people who owned both a Lynx and Jaguar.

Concept of using the Lynx with the Home console unit was 1st suggested when details of the Panther started to appear.

I liked the use of the DC VMU as a Bio Monitor in Resident Evil Code Vernonica and the PS3 and PSP link up with Resistance 2 ( but you needed copies of the specific PS3 and PSP versions), but those have been my only stand out experiences of what could be done well.

• Like 2

@ValdR:

I would be the very last person to ask about issues with serial ports, tech stuff just isn't me, at all :-))

Thought it was worth bringing to the discussion, as i like to hear development teams thoughts on hardware and it was an alternative view to the established thinking that reason Atari never used the idea was it wasn't cost effective, too few people who owned both a Lynx and Jaguar.

Concept of using the Lynx with the Home console unit was 1st suggested when details of the Panther started to appear.

I liked the use of the DC VMU as a Bio Monitor in Resident Evil Code Vernonica and the PS3 and PSP link up with Resistance 2 ( but you needed copies of the specific PS3 and PSP versions), but those have been my only stand out experiences of what could be done well.

There was also the ability to play some Gamecube games with a GBA. Even up to 4 player

• Like 4

I so wanted to try the GBA-GC Pac-Man link up

The potential hinted at in games, sadly never seems to be fully utilized:

...PSP shown as being used as a rear view mirror when linked upto Gran Turismo which came to nothing. ..

Dust 514 was showcased as using the link up with the Vita, but game itself wasn't good enough to invest in.

I forget the name of the cancelled Dreamcast game (might of been World's Scariest Police Chases), where developers talked of idea of using DC microphone to radio in for back up and a police Helicopter etc.

Yeah, but perhaps you dug up some interview with a guy who knows a guy who overheard some more details. And was willing to share it.

Up until this thread I was not aware of this possibility, as I always focus primarily on 3d graphics, and not the networking component, so I don't really care about all the serial ports and whatnot.

This would be an amazing pet project, for sure! Not that I need another one...

Perhaps there is a workaround for the data transfer issue ? I had to come up with quite a few, myself in other areas. Then again, if you keep resending the packet and the checksum never matches, you are kinda screwed at that point as lynx doesn't have the data that the jag does...

Where ever possible i like to use magazine claims or random findings as a basis of finding out more..i usually take the claim and put it to the person or others who worked at or on..

With the case of Hand Made Software, years ago i sent Q's to a key figure there who was very interested in answering them, but sadly never did and his contact details were on a different email account and i am not sure they would even work now.

Jim Gregory was kind enough to be interviewed at the time, but as i have said before, stopped answering emails from myself, GTW and my friend who wanted to buy the garage clearance stuff Jim was looking to get shot of.

Arcade Attack do fantastic Jaguar interviews these days, so maybe they could try and get hold of someone from HMS and put the claim to them?

• Like 1