IGNORED

Miner 2049er and BBSB to be re-released!

classics

Wow. Rather amazing that Bill Hogue is still around (I mean reachable I guess) and still as into the Atari 8bit/5200 and his Miner games. Amazing that the original author is going to release his 5200 game again!

Personally, I have never played nor seen in action Bounty Bob. It's far too expensive to buy (I've never even seen the cart to be honest), it's so rare. And I don't think I even got it to run in an emulator.

But Miner 2049er is a great game .. played the 5200 version many many times (with a Masterplay + Genesis 6-button pad .. but the 5200 control on Miner is really impressive and has great control. It does what you want it to do!)

True,  but what about the elevator level(s).  How do you push 1,2, or 3 ?  I have a masterplay and it is a pure bitch having to reach for the keys.  I imagine its not much easier reaching for the keys on the 8bit either?

Practice a little...it's not so bad with the 5200 controllers.   ;)

Good point, I forgot about those. I have a Wico keypad sot hat's not too bad, but not as convenient as having them as part of the controller you're holding in your hand. However, you are not going to sell me that 5200 controllers aren't that bad for this type of game. :D

..Al

If any game teaches you how to re-center the 5200 stick by touch it is BBSB, once you get the feel it becomes fairly easy. I tried it using a Masterplay and still do way better with the 5200 stick.

I wish someone would make a Redemption unit that would accept Jaguar controllers. That way, I could have a keypad and a digital control pad. I'm not much for D-pads instead of joysticks, but it's better than the stock 5200 analog sticks.

I do agree that a Jaguar version of the Redemption would be quite spiffy. I've always liked the Jaguar controllers and think they would be a great way to enjoy the majority of 5200 games. :) No plans anytime soon to make such a version, though.

..Al

Jay Tilton and I came up with one independently, I published schematics in case someone wants to build their own or market it. It's all public domain:

http://www94.pair.com/jsoper/jag_adapter.html

I wish someone would make a Redemption unit that would accept Jaguar controllers. That way, I could have a keypad and a digital control pad. I'm not much for D-pads instead of joysticks, but it's better than the stock 5200 analog sticks.

I do agree that a Jaguar version of the Redemption would be quite spiffy. I've always liked the Jaguar controllers and think they would be a great way to enjoy the majority of 5200 games. :) No plans anytime soon to make such a version, though.

..Al

Jay Tilton and I came up with one independently, I published schematics in case someone wants to build their own or market it. It's all public domain:

http://www94.pair.com/jsoper/jag_adapter.html

That's awesome! Hopefully you or someone else will find the time to build some of these someday. To have an encoder for all 3 systems would be a dream come true. I'd try and build one, but it looks complicated and probably beyond my limited abilities.

I first posted this message a little over 2 years ago.

I personally emailed Bill Hogue and he said that he had been approached by someone who wanted to reproduce the game. He said that he had turned it down because if a reproduction is done he wants it to be a very professional reproduction. He sounded to me like if the right deal came along that he would be willing to at least consider the idea of a reproduction.

I am not surprised that he is going to re-issue Bounty Bob. I was kind of shocked that he emailed me back. It was one of my favorite gaming memories as Miner and Bounty Bob are two of my favorite 5200 titles.

Wow - this is good news and I hope the project is a success for Bill Hogue. I don't believe at all the idea that a reproduction drops the value of the original cart. In fact, it may generate more interest and exposure and may make it more valuable. Do you think the Coke Wins reproductions sold at CGE killed the price of Pepsi Invaders? No way. Prices on carts fluctuate, but I doube reproduction sales factor into this at all.

Well, I agree that if you're a hard-core collector, you'll probably still want the original release cart, but if you're just somebody that wants to be able to play the game on original hardware, you'll probably opt for the re-released version. I paid $200 for my BBSB when I bought it a couple years ago, mainly so I could play the game on a real 5200, but, if presented with an option to pay much less for a re-released version, as long it was the complete original game, I would probably buy the re-released version.

I like how he had to use an emulator to debug a sound bug in BBSB. The two pokey sounds cancelling eachother out.

I'm pretty sure he is right about BBSB being difficult to crack. I dont ever remember running into an executable of it before I exited the atari 8-bit scene and moved onto other pastures.

I like how he had to use an emulator to debug a sound bug in BBSB. The two pokey sounds cancelling eachother out.

I'm pretty sure he is right about BBSB being difficult to crack. I dont ever remember running into an executable of it before I exited the atari 8-bit scene and moved onto other pastures.

It's so tricky because it uses two 2600-style 8K FF8/FF9 bankswitched ROMs plus an 8K non-bankswitched ROM. Even the 400/800 version is like this! It's convienent in that FF8/FF9 bankswitch chips were available for custom manufacture back in the day, but inconvienent for making a copy of the original and for multi-cart support.

It's so tricky because it uses two 2600-style 8K FF8/FF9 bankswitched ROMs plus an 8K non-bankswitched ROM. Even the 400/800 version is like this! It's convienent in that FF8/FF9 bankswitch chips were available for custom manufacture back in the day' date=' but inconvienent for making a copy of the original and for multi-cart support.[/quote']

It's inconvenient, but doable. Someone posted a dedicated buit in console they made that even supported BBSB. Maybe someone with better search skills than me can dig up the old thread?

It's so tricky because it uses two 2600-style 8K FF8/FF9 bankswitched ROMs plus an 8K non-bankswitched ROM. Even the 400/800 version is like this! It's convienent in that FF8/FF9 bankswitch chips were available for custom manufacture back in the day' date=' but inconvienent for making a copy of the original and for multi-cart support.[/quote']

It's inconvenient, but doable. Someone posted a dedicated buit in console they made that even supported BBSB. Maybe someone with better search skills than me can dig up the old thread?

;)

http://www.tripoint.org/kevtris/Projects/5200jr/

It's inconvenient' date=' but doable. Someone posted a dedicated buit in console they made that even supported BBSB. Maybe someone with better search skills than me can dig up the old thread?[/quote']

Yeah I remember reading about that. I suppose it was inconvenient enough to serve it's purpose. Most every copyprotection gets broken eventually.

I'm a 5200 fan first and foremost, more than a collector. I'm up for having every possible game, whether that be by multicart, re-release or original.

So here's to the possibility of having yet one more game that I can play (or attempt to play, since I suck so bad. :D

• 3 months later...