IGNORED

Zelda

As big a Nintendo fan as I am, I'm pretty embarassed to admit that I've never played any Zelda game. Yesterday I was browsing through the GBA carts at Best Buy. I picked up Minish Cap and started to buy it. Then I saw The Legend of Zelda (NES version for GBA) and I thought maybe I should start from the bgininning and play through them. In a fit of indecision, I put them both back and bought nothing. :|

So I guess where I'm going with this is, what do you guys recomend? Should I start with the first one and start playing through them in order, or should I just pick up one of the later ones and play that? I think I'd like to start with the first, if I go that route, does anyone have a list of the Zelda games in the order that they came out? Are there any stinkers that I'd be better off avoiding?

-S

Either way you go it won't make much difference. Only Zelda II is different from the others in the series. And really in general, if you play any one of the Zelda games, whatever the system, and if you like it, you'll most likely want to play them all eventually anyway.

But it probably wouldn't hurt to begin with the first one.

Pretty much every Zelda game is great.

(With the exception of the CD-i games. They are not just bad, but could honestly be the worst games ever made.)

The chronological order skips around a lot.

Chronologically, Ocarina of Time for N64 is the first game.

Also the best IMHO. Also, many people say that Adventures of Link (Zelda 2 for the NES) would be last in the series chronologically.

As the story shifts so much, there is no real order you have to play them in. They all work great on their own.

Best Zelda games to me:

Ocarina of Time (N64)

Majora's Mask (N64)

Adventure's of Link (NES)

Minish Cap (GBA)

Link to the Past (SNES)

Windwaker (GBA)

Here is a link to all Zelda games in the order they were released.

http://www.planetnintendo.com/nindb/fran/zelda.shtml

Here is one of the many debates of the chronological order of Zelda games:

http://www.ganonstower.com/j1499.shtml

That a tough question to answer in my opinion. For me, the first Zelda game I actually played and was really into, was Zelda: The Adventures of Link.. A.K.A. Zelda 2 for the NES. Some people dislike this version of Zelda, but it was easy for me to understand back in the day as I could only play it for about a week until the NES had to go back to its rightful master. But I played it non-stop. Anyway, since then, I have found that of the two (Zelda 1 and Zelda 2), that I just can't sit down to enjoy the first Zelda game. I still enjoy playing Zelda 2 from time to time.

Now, lets advance a bit. After Zelda 2, I hadn't ever played another Zelda game again, until Ocearina of Time came out. Here again I was only able to borrow a N64 for a bit. But I played the heck our of Ocearina until I finally beat it. Majora's Mask on the other hand....ehh..not so much.

I really don't seem to be getting to a point here. But let me put it this way. I have tried about all the Zelda games out there at this point. And these are the ones that I was able to get into and really enjoy the gameplay etc..

Zelda: The Adventures of Link (NES)

Zelda: Link to the Past (SNES) I really enjoyed this one also.

Zelda: Ocearina of Time (N64)

Zelda: Wind Waker (GCN) My kids actually like to watch me play this one.

So that is it. I really can't explain why the other Zelda games didn't hold my interest long enough to want to play them through. And I haven't played any of the Gameboy Zelda games. I have played some of the new Minish Cap game a bit and I really really like it. It looks and plays similar to Link to the Past from the SNES. Oh, they did actually release Link to the Past on the GBA so if for some reason an SNES isn't near you to pick up the original, you can get it for the GBA.

All of that said, I am really looking forward to the new Zelda game coming in the fall!

If you can find a reasonably priced copy, you should get the Legend of Zelda collectors disc for the Gamecube. It has Zelda 1and 2, Ocarina of Time and Majoras Mask, as well as a 20 minute demo of the Wind Waker.

As for the order you should play them, I definatley think you should start with the first Zelda and work your way up. It was one of the first games that I fell in love with on the NES.

I'll chime in, for no real reason, and list my favorite Zelda games, in order:

The Legend of Zelda

Zelda II

Majora's Mask

Ocarina of Time

I like OOT, but thought the world seemed awfully small. Majora's Mask seems bigger which is why I enjoy it more.

I haven't played many of the others, except for a little time on the SNES one, whatever it is called - it was pretty good.

Actually, I think The Legend of Zelda (original NES) is the best video game of all time. But that's just me :P

Pretty much every Zelda game is great.

(With the exception of the CD-i games.  They are not just bad, but could honestly be the worst games ever made.)

The chronological order skips around a lot.  

Chronologically, Ocarina of Time for N64 is the first game.

Also the best IMHO.  Also, many people say that Adventures of Link (Zelda 2 for the NES) would be last in the series chronologically.

Chronologically, the series goes straight to hell after Link to the Past.

It's so riddled with contradictions and retellings that it just doesn't matter anymore.

As for best Zeldas...

I strongly recommend Link to the Past.

while they may not be chronologically consistent, I DEFINITELY recommend starting the Legend of Zelda and playing them in the order they were released.

From game to game, new things are introduced and then used in later games, or homages are paid to things in previous games. I don't think you can fully appreciate these very cool little nods unless you play them in the order they were created. You certainly aren't going to miss out on anything cool by starting with Legend and working your way up.

The Zelda series is such a wonderful collection of games. I have never played a Zelda game I did not like, and I've played most of them (US releases)

Play them in any order you like, but in my opinion to get the "full effect" play them in the order they were released!

Seems like a lot of conflicting opinions on this subject. Maybe I should have asked what the best Zelda games for each system are. I don't own a Gamecube, and won't until I can buy one for next to nothing after the next gen consoles come out, so I won't be playing any games on that one for a while. I do own all of the other Nintendo consoles.

Sounds like the best for each is

NES- Adventures of Link

SNES- Link to the Past

N64- Ocarina of Time

Yes?

So how about GBA, that's what I'm really interested in at the moment.

-S

while they may not be chronologically consistent, I DEFINITELY recommend starting the Legend of Zelda and playing them in the order they were released...Play them in any order you like, but in my opinion to get the "full effect" play them in the order they were released!

Yeah, that's kind of how I was thinking on the subject. I'm pretty sure Best Buy had the GBA Legend of Zelda cart on sale for around $10 so I may pick that up at lunch today and see what I think of it.

-S

I HAVE to lobby for BOTH Legend of Zelda and Adventure of Link on the NES. They have two different styles of game play, but each offer and WONDERFUL game play experience. They are the best of the Zeldas if you ask me.

Oh and don't forget, Legend is really TWO quests, after you finish the first start the Second Quest, its MUCH tougher! :)

As happy as I was to get the Zelda collection on the GCN, as soon as I sat down to play "The Legend of Zela" (1st one ;), I discovered that I couldn't control Link with enough precision to survive the first dungeon.. and it was only because of the tiny D-pad on the GCN controller...

So I tried playing with a 3rd party controller with a bigger D-pad and found that the game wouldn't recognize it...

So now I am looking to replace a battery in my old NES cart...

Who cares about chronological order.. in the zelda games that stuff doesn't matter. All that matters is the dungeons :P

Anyway, I have to say that I don't think NES Zelda has 'aged' all that well. It's still a classic though. SNES Zelda has aged a lot better imho. Both are good jumping points.

Who cares about chronological order.. in the zelda games that stuff doesn't matter..

Well I agree with that. By play them in order, I meant in the order in which they were released, not by the in-game timeline. Seemed like I'd get a better feel for the true experience and see how the series progressed if I played them in the order that they came out.

In any case I just got back from lunch, bought Legend of Zelda for my GBA, so I'll start playing that one first. Best Buy had it new for $10.99, Vintage Stock had it loose for $16.99. Guess where I bought it. Those used game places are really starting to lose touch with reality on their prices.

-S

Who cares about chronological order.. in the zelda games that stuff doesn't matter. All that matters is the dungeons :P

True. I'm just saying, trying to make sense of the "timeline" is impossible.

Anyway, I have to say that I don't think NES Zelda has 'aged' all that well. It's still a classic though. SNES Zelda has aged a lot better imho. Both are good jumping points.
One I played most recently was Zelda 1.

Nice to be able to just go stab stuff without worrying about sidequests and townspeople and such sometimes.

I still flag Zelda 3 as the best, though.

Can't comment on the GBA port, as I've never felt obliged to try it.

It seems that Adventure of Link is a real "love it or hate it" game. I only played it for a couple hours, but I just didn't like the sidescrolling fighting.

It may not be a bad game, but I didn't find it to be a good Zelda game.

As for me, I like OoT, LoZ and I can't wait to start ALttP. I just got it for the SNES.

Stingray:

For Gameboy Advanced, Zelda Minish Cap is one of the best Zelda games ever made. Not just for GBA, but I would put it in the top 5 Zelda games ever made easily.

And like I said in my original post, each game stands on its own and you don't have to worry about the chronology to enjoy the story at all.

Well, I'm partial to the Gameboy ones. Of course then again I've only ever finished those 3 and the snes one. I would have to say any is a great place to start and if you want something in the middle Link's awakening is great. Lots of stuff to find, Miniquest galore and more fun than bob Sagat in a blender

Here is a link to all Zelda games in the order they were released.

http://www.planetnintendo.com/nindb/fran/zelda.shtml

Just looked through this list. Looks like all of the Zelda games previous to N64 are playable on a GBA in one form or another. That's good news considering I was primarily looking for games for my GBA anyway.

-S

Yes. In my opinion, I think if you play these CORE 3 in this order.. you'll be in good shape :)

1. NES Zelda (as you got the one on GBA)

2. SNES Zelda (also available on GBA)

3. GBC ZeldaDX (obviously playable on GBA).

I think if you just stick to those 3.. you're set for a good solid overall view of Zelda goodness in all forms without much redundancy. :D Sorry I don't know the 'proper' names for each of them.. but you guys know which ones I'm talking about. Afterwards I guess you could check out the Minish cap or Zelda II if you wanna go that route