IGNORED

Atari's Landfill Adventures, I now have the proof it's true.

Spud

the Papa Johns and dirt road off of WHite Sands is just off to the right and down from the metal buildings there is a railroad track between them as well, not sure why I didn't get the picture centered better, it's been too long ago.

Bigfoot, LOL!!!!! Thats an interesting map you found and drew up!! Where exactly is that, I would like to give it a look. And sorry AJ, I should have looked for the compass markings on the "runway". I should have know this as Im a budding pilot. Sorry AJ, you were right, what the hell else is new.

post-5427-1157696512_thumb.jpg

Here is a crude map, I made up again showing the landmarks better, Papa Johns off white sands.

post-5427-1157697135_thumb.jpg

A larger shot with the area I think it's in. I asked a current landfill employee if he heard about it and he pointed over that general area, that was before the by-pass was there that you can see in the far left side.

How about that talent on the Fugi, did that with paint and a touchpad. lol, kind of looks like a map of[ Africa.

So is someone going to fly down there with a metal detector and a shovel or what?

I have to imagine that a little persistence could turn up at least a shred of evidence.

maybe concrete evidence, lol, ahh ohh um,....sorry, way too late for me to be up.

A metal detector would fire off at every step if it were at a landfill, imo.

Anyway, I still am hoping somone will request the records from the town, as it would confirm what the landfill worker says. Considering that it's doubtful he's worked there for 23 years or more, his testimony may be a little off.

-Rob

A metal detector would fire off at every step if it were at a landfill, imo.

Not to mention that it would be lousy at detecting cartridges composed mostly of plastic, ceramics, resins, and silicon. Not a whole lot of metal there.

A metal detector also wouldn't have the necessary depth. As I suggested earlier in the thread, there might be a chance of detecting the blob of concrete with sounding.

Anyway, I still am hoping somone will request the records from the town, as it would confirm what the landfill worker says. Considering that it's doubtful he's worked there for 23 years or more, his testimony may be a little off.

-Rob

Actually, keeping with the "can't find anyone connected to the event without going through

Kevin Bacon theme". The guy working that day wasn't there at the time, he was only like 30 or so, but said he had heard of it happening.

3. Verify the grammer and run your email through a spell checker before sending it. This will improve its professionalism. (I have not done so with the example above.)

Indeed. "Grammar".

Good catch. :)

The scary part is that I type that word all the time, and yet the misspelling constantly leaks through. Between 'grammar' and 'ridiculous' (misspelled as rediculous), it's hopeless that I'll get by with a zero-error post. Unless I'm on my Mac, that is. ;)

Actually, keeping with the "can't find anyone connected to the event without going through

Kevin Bacon theme". The guy working that day wasn't there at the time, he was only like 30 or so, but said he had heard of it happening.

Hmmm I see a definate pattern here. The guys working for Atari at the time, the people in and around that neighborhood (In spite of the fact they supposedly all got free carts and the pawn shops were full of ETs) and now a person that worked at the land fill...all heard of it. Just like 20 million other people. I wonder if he heard the one about the hitchhiker who got picked up and then when they got to the place the hitchhiker had requested to be driven too disappeared and then it turns out he HAD DIED 10 years ago from that very day!!! Oooooooo Spooky.

Face it, Atari got away with multi-million dollar tax write off and all they really buried was crap. The state got mad and banned all further dumping of that kind so they couldn't pull one over like that again. Simple. That's why the only evidence we got even though reporters were at the scene and every kid in town was snagging free carts, and they had to of had a crew to bury MILLIONS of carts, oh and the security guards. Is a couple of photo's one that looks like cigarette boxes at the bottom of lake Erie and one that just looks like a stock photo of a landfill....probably in Idaho. :P

This is good stuff though. Keeps the thread alive in the hearts of billions. What we REALLY need is a one of the kids or reporters or the crew or a worker at the landfill or a security guard to come forward with a picture of a sea of ET's. Maybe with the kid in the foreground making the ET's pinty finger at the pit full of carts and mouthing "Ooooooowwwtch!!!" As far as I know camera's were invented in about 1979 or 1980 so I'll bet someone had one by then.

This is good stuff though. Keeps the thread alive in the hearts of billions. What we REALLY need is a one of the kids or reporters or the crew or a worker at the landfill or a security guard to come forward with a picture of a sea of ET's. Maybe with the kid in the foreground making the ET's pinty finger at the pit full of carts and mouthing "Ooooooowwwtch!!!" As far as I know camera's were invented in about 1979 or 1980 so I'll bet someone had one by then.

You know, the Luxury Liner RMS Lusitania sunk back in 1915 as World War I broke out around the world. She was hit directly under her bridge by a single torpedo from a German U-Boat. This was quickly followed by a secondary explosion of unknown origin. Of the 1,257 passengers onboard, only 59 made it out alive.

For nearly a century thereafter, it was assumed that the secondary explosion on the Lusitania had been caused by weapons being smuggled to Great Britain, and that those weapons had been hit in the torpedo run. Britain and the United States had always claimed that no weapons were aboard, but little credence was given to this claim. Eventually, documents came to light that showed she was indeed carrying contraband. Case closed, right?

Not so! In the 1990's, the well known oceanic explorer Robert Ballard launched an investigation into the wreck using modern diving technology. Ballard could not find the supposed damage from weapons detonations. Indeed, the damage to the ship appeared to be far away from the holds where the weapons were stored. Based on evidence he gained in his investigation, Ballard submitted the now commonly accepted theory of the Lusitania's sinking. Being near the end of her journey, the ship would have been low on coal, leaving a fine layer of dust. In such concentrations, coal dust can be extremely explosive. His theory is that the torpedo ignited the coal dust, and thus caused the fatal secondary explosion. It was a lucky hit, and nothing more.

My point is, investigating history thoroughly can often help us find the truth about matters. Even if "common knowledge" holds the case to be closed, "common knowledge" is regularly either wrong or missing many details. Investigations like this one help find out the truth about history, and can often lead to unexpected surprises. So don't be too quick to denounce their work. Even if nothing comes of it, they may help point future researchers in the right direction. :)

So don't be too quick to denounce their work. Even if nothing comes of it, they may help point future researchers in the right direction. :)

Awesome story but you lost me in the last paragraph. Who's denouncing what?? I love this thread and hope that someone can prove beyond a shadow of a doubt it DID happen. In the mean time I'm just gonna keep posting goofy stuff though...because...well....I like to and besides this thread will get stale with all the scientfic investigative mumbo-jumbo. :cool:

Edited by moycon

Alright, I took the first step in writing a story/ad for the Alamogordo paper to run, so that we may get some more info fron the people there. Can't hurt right?

It's just a rough draft and would like others to add to it, change it, basically make it good, unlike it is now. Shorten title as well.

Here is what I coughed up.

Atari club asks the residents of Alamogordo for details on the massive videogame burial that happened in town in the 80's

Atari was one of the first videogame companies back in the 1970s with the Atari 2600 system. The system was exstreamly popular for many years. Unfortunately the videogame market crashed in 1984 and 14 semi truck loads of Atari cartridges ended up in the Alamogordo landfill from Atari's warehouse in El Paso. The Atari fans would like to get ask if anyone remembers or took place in the event, or know the place it happened, any information at all, so that it can be documented. Pictures of the event would be most helpful.

If you know of or just remember about it they ask if you will email them at .......

ok so copy, improve and paste, lets see what you got

How about "Info wanted on buried Atari games" for a title?

The Atari fans would like to get ask if anyone remembers or took place in the event, or know the place it happened, any information at all, so that it can be documented. Pictures of the event would be most helpful.

I think I would remove "get ask" and replace it with "know." I would also remove the first "The" and just start it out with "Atari fans."

Just my 2 cents worth.

Edited by accousticguitar

As I've been following this SAGA, I'm eerily reminded of Mr. MaGee from the Incredible Hulk. He was always just inches away fromthe big secret and missed it every time.

The ET Cartridges are believed to be dead and they must let the world think that they are dead...

-Ray

Edited by pocketmego

Atari club asks the residents of Alamogordo for details on the massive videogame burial that happened in town in the 80's

Atari was one of the first videogame companies back in the 1970s with the Atari 2600 system. The system was extremely popular for many years. Unfortunately the videogame market crashed in 1984 and 14 truck loads of Atari cartridges ended up in the Alamogordo landfill from Atari's warehouse in El Paso. Atari fans would like to know if anyone remembers or took place in the event, or know the place it happened, any information at all, so that it can be documented. Pictures of the event would be most helpful.

If you know of or just remember about it they ask if you will email them at .......

Added above suggestions, and spell checked.

I'd also replace "Atari fans would like to know if anyone remembers or took place in the event..." with "Atari fans would like to know if you remember or participated in the event..."

Also, Inky's ending could be changed to: "If you have any information, please email us at..."

Edited by jnice

Atari was one of the first videogame companies back in the 1970s with the Atari 2600 system. The system was exstreamly popular for many years. Unfortunately the videogame market crashed in 1984 and 14 semi truck loads of Atari cartridges ended up in the Alamogordo landfill from Atari's warehouse in El Paso. The Atari fans would like to get ask if anyone remembers or took place in the event, or know the place it happened, any information at all, so that it can be documented. Pictures of the event would be most helpful.

Here's my take (borrowing several others' changes), with title shortened and other edits bolded:

Atari club asks Alamogordo residents for details of '80s videogame burial

Atari was one of the first home videogame companies in the 1970s with their Atari 2600 system, which was extremely popular for many years. Unfortunately, the home videogame market crashed in 1984 and approximately 14 truckloads of inventory from Atari's El Paso warehouse were reportedly dumped in an Alamogordo landfill. Atari fans would like anyone who participated in or remembers the burial, or knows its location or any relevant information at all, to contact us so that it can be documented. Photographs of the event would be most helpful.

If you have any information on this incident, please contact AtariAge at....

Edited by A.J. Franzman

Tried to tweak it a little more using the work done so far.

I think the title should say more to grab the readers attention, but can't get it shorter without leaving out important words. something like...

Worldwide Atari club asks Alamogordo residents for details of millions of videogames buried here in September of 1983

Atari was one of the first home videogame companies in the 1970s with their Atari 2600 system, which was extremely popular for many years. Unfortunately, the home videogame market crashed in 1983 and approximately 14 semi trucks of inventory from Atari's El Paso warehouse were reportedly dumped in an Alamogordo landfill. Atari fans would like anyone who participated in or remembers the burial, or knows its location or any relevant information at all, to contact us so that it can be documented. Photographs of the event would be most helpful. To see the information we have so far visit Atariage.com

( this wouldn't look to good in the paper I guess, maybe stingrays site link?)

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...6637&st=575

If you have any information on this incident, please contact AtariAge at....

thoughts? improvments?