IGNORED

Atari's Landfill Adventures, I now have the proof it's true.

Spud

MAP_zps80dc8d57.jpg

Not sure where Sunnyvale dump was located back in 1983. The Sunnyvale dump may have changed locations over the years. But that's likely where the 1 million ET carts are, since they weren't in Alamagordo.

Edited by Elvis8Atari

Bury me in that landfill with a TV and I would have a decent collection of Atari stuff :D

Might want to bring some food, water, and fresh oxygen bottles while you're down there, but the oxygen is critical. You'll run out of air before you starve or dehydrate. Oh yeah, and surely ET has already been there with as many pits as he tends to fall into... :P

MAP_zps80dc8d57.jpg

Not sure where Sunnyvale dump was located back in 1983. The Sunnyvale dump may have changed locations over the years. But that's likely where the 1 million ET carts are, since they weren't in Alamagordo.

Nice map. Unfortunately, if the dump is still in use, it can hardly be excavated as that would hinder the daily operations.

I'm still a bit peeved that they go in and find the site and never bothered to bust open the caps. The cement encrusted loot is probably in even better condition than the dirt buried loot, and a lot more of it. If the overstock games were the first items buried, who knows what treasures the back of the warehouse held?

Edited by stardust4ever

Hardly. Now that the nonsense about Alamogordo is solved, the real hunt in Sunnyvale can begin, and maybe we'll actually get to see the million ET carts.

Surely you're joking. In fact, you must be joking. Yep, you're joking.

Anyway, even if you're not joking (and yes, you're joking), I'd say this: what makes you think this isn't the site? So they got the number wrong. Even in the 80s, the word "million" still sounded better in the press than "hundreds of thousands". Do you really think that they buried 1.7 million carts?...and that not only did Microsoft, who funded this project, would have went to the dumpsite that had fewer carts? Why wouldn't they go to this Sunnyvale site, if it had a better chance of success? Well then I guess you'd be disappointed and start hunting for THIS dig site :D I can't make out any of your logic over the sound of your crinkling tinfoil!

Here's my one sigh for this thread:

*sigh

Surely you're joking. In fact, you must be joking. Yep, you're joking.

Anyway, even if you're not joking (and yes, you're joking), I'd say this: what makes you think this isn't the site? So they got the number wrong. Even in the 80s, the word "million" still sounded better in the press than "hundreds of thousands". Do you really think that they buried 1.7 million carts?...and that not only did Microsoft, who funded this project, would have went to the dumpsite that had fewer carts? Why wouldn't they go to this Sunnyvale site, if it had a better chance of success? Well then I guess you'd be disappointed and start hunting for THIS dig site :D I can't make out any of your logic over the sound of your crinkling tinfoil!

Here's my one sigh for this thread:

*sigh

You're right. The Alamagordo landfill may very well be the site. And maybe they did get the number wrong. I'm not arguing that.

But the fact remains, all we saw was a handful of ET carts. While yes, that may very well have been it, we can't be sure. They did not uncover everything, so we just don't know. Combined with this is the fact that most of that stuff isn't even ET cartridges. The 728,000 games contains a lot of other stuff. All I'm saying is, we can't be 100% certain.

There was a book written by two well informed authors. "Atari Inc. Business is Fun" Where they talk about the Sunnyvale dump. Nobody has dug that site up yet. So who's to say the million ET carts didn't end up there? And that the stuff in Alamagordo isn't just some junk from a plant in El Paso?

I'm not saying you are wrong. You very well might be right. But why are you so dead set against others giving the other alternative a shot? What's there to lose? What if they actually turned up in Sunnyvale? Cant we give it a shot?

They did not uncover everything, so we just don't know. Combined with this is the fact that most of that stuff isn't even ET cartridges. The 728,000 games contains a lot of other stuff. All I'm saying is, we can't be 100% certain.

In another context, this is known as the "God of the gaps" argument.

Edited by karokoenig
  • Like 2

In another context, this is known as the "God of the gaps" argument.

hahaha. The difference is, we can't just go to Sunnyvale and dig up god with a couple bulldozers. I don't see why this documentary team can't just go over there and dig it up and end the discussion once and for all. I guess they want their documentary to be incomplete.

Edited by Elvis8Atari

However, the myth that we were always lead to believe was that there was one million ET cartridges. That information may be wrong, or made up, but that WAS the myth. And they did not show us a million cartridges.

from Dictionary.com:

myth [mith]

noun

5. an unproved or false collective belief that is used to justify a social institution.

Well you see the reason why they cant reveal the location of the Sunnyvale dump is cause too many people were getting close to finding the fake moon launch sets so they offered Atari some $$$ to dump $1M ET carts over top of it to chase away the fake landing society.

Just think you'll get a 2 for 1 Elvis if you ever find your 1M ET carts.............

• Like 1

Why?

Oh ok, fine. Basically the dump is the one noted in the previous posters map. It closed in 1993, mostly, and since then has been a processing station in the middle of the old dump and the processed garbage is hauled to dumps in other cities. For all intents and purposes the majority of it is now public land and, if someone wished to, could be dug up I suppose. I've had a notion to go look at historical records either in city hall or the library, but haven't had time just yet. Presumably there's some paper trail between Atari and the city of Sunnyvale. both Atari's HQ's are between myself and this dump site, and a warehouse of theirs (I'm assuming where all the inventory was) was between their two HQ's and this dump on the edge of the San Francisco bay. Here's a bit more info about the dump, though no mention of the Atari ET carts. I'm not that surprised since the site probably didn't have a notion that this might be the dump, or any reason to dig through what were (or maybe still are) hard to find records or news paper articles from 1983. I myself tried to look at the San Jose Mercury News online records, but they only go back to 1985 and to get earlier you need to go to San Jose and rifle through their microfilm collection :(

http://www.interfacility.com/personalpages/landfill/sunnyvale/waystation.html

For all intents and purposes the majority of it is now public land and, if someone wished to, could be dug up I suppose.

See that! People were saying that it would be impossible to dig there, but your comment here is a sign of hope.

ALSO, before they dug up the Alamagordo landfill, everyone said it was impossible to dig there too. That is until some people got together and made it happen.

It's not impossible. Sunnyvale needs to be unearthed.

The trouble is, as you can see from the link I provided, much of the dump is now hills, public land, etc. I myself go painting and biking and hiking in the area so digging it up might be harder to accomplish than say digging up Alamagordo which has no public use and hasn't returned to 'nature' as it were.

My friend works for the city of sunnvale in the waste/sewer dept. so I may ask him to ask around or lend me a hand in finding more specific info.

The trouble is, as you can see from the link I provided, much of the dump is now hills, public land, etc. I myself go painting and biking and hiking in the area so digging it up might be harder to accomplish than say digging up Alamagordo which has no public use and hasn't returned to 'nature' as it were.

My friend works for the city of sunnvale in the waste/sewer dept. so I may ask him to ask around or lend me a hand in finding more specific info.

Well, they clear out sections of cities to film big feature films. They could block off the park. Do the dig. Replace the grass, and then it could return to normal.

Sure, and it's not a park as much as sprawling land that's mostly not manicured or used permanently by people - i.e. folks walk paths, bike, that kinda thing. The other big trouble, of course, is no historical photo or other intel so they'd know about where to search/dig, nor any former employee of Atari or the city who can give a general 'dig here' tip.

Sure, and it's not a park as much as sprawling land that's mostly not manicured or used permanently by people - i.e. folks walk paths, bike, that kinda thing. The other big trouble, of course, is no historical photo or other intel so they'd know about where to search/dig, nor any former employee of Atari or the city who can give a general 'dig here' tip.

I wish there was a wayback archive of google maps in 1983… But at least we know the basic location now.

What we need is a photo or map of what the area (dump) looked like back then.

Judging by the photos of the buried carts in alamagordo, it seems like the games would still be somewhat intact. Perhaps metal detectors, or some other type of ground penetrating radar could be used to find the 1 million ET carts buried at the Sunnyvale dump.

Edited by Elvis8Atari

That would be great. We need a lot more information about this dump. Especially concerning what it was like in the early 80s. That would help us pinpoint the location.