IGNORED

Not mine (newspaper want ad worth a laugh)

Shawn

I dunno if this was better suited to be in the Donut Shop but technically speaking it is video game related.

Anyhow, Here is an ad from my local friday paper, Sorry if this actually belongs to a memeber here but I found this to be too priceless to leave un-noted. The ad tells the whole story. (see below)

03-26-2005091351PM.jpg

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

...Ya, $20 bux a pop SURE thats the ticket!!

The funny part is that at least one of those games goes for about $250-$300 loose and all of them go for well over $20, especially boxed. The funny isn't hahaha, it's irony that somebody would think other people were stupid enough to fall for this, but I guess there's a sucker born everyday.On a related note if somebody has Stadium Events for the NES, I'll give you $20, but only if it's mint.

Cheers

Mark

:)

Yes but the common public do not know that. Whats the difference between walking into a thrift store or flea market and picking up Crazy Climber for $3 knowing you got a hell of a deal, and actively trying to find some good used titles by posting what most would consider a reasonable offer in the newspaper. Heck if I was in middle school and had all those "old dumb games" laying around my closet I sure would jump at an opportunity to get some good money for them.

Most people would think thats a reasonable price to offer. It's a hell of a lot better than what EB Games would give you.

Newspaper ads (and to a much lesser degree Usenet posts) do well -- they appeal to that section of the crowd that may not be on eBay, may not be on forums and may not have any idea what the value of their stuff is -- the traditional folk who themselves are more likely to sell their stuff via a newspaper ad or take it to a pawn shop than to list it on eBay or local forums.

It's a smart idea, really. Heck, I've gotten some great deals from local Usenet posts.

And don't forget you can sometimes get weird calls from newspaper ads. Alex placed an ad in the local Austin paper looking for video games. He returned home one day to find this message on his answering machine. If you haven't listened to this before, you must stop what you're doing now and click the pretty blue link:

Pancake Boy

..Al

Whoa - I didn't realize these games could go for so much.

N64 games are all over the place here in tucson. I need to check for these titles obviously.

I guess the joke was lost on me.

I was too busy looking for Atari gems

didn't realize a gold mine existed in N64

And don't forget you can sometimes get weird calls from newspaper ads.  Alex placed an ad in the local Austin paper looking for video games.  He returned home one day to find this message on his answering machine.  If you haven't listened to this before, you must stop what you're doing now and click the pretty blue link:

Pancake Boy

..Al

Could we get a transcript of that. :lolblue: It sounds pretty funny but I cant make out a bit of it.

-Tim

Could we get a transcript of that. :lolblue:  It sounds pretty funny but I cant make out a bit of it.

I've listened to it a few times and there are some words (especially at the beginning) that I cannot make out. The rest of it is pretty clear, though. Would be amusing to transcribe it. :) One thing I forgot to mention is that Alex did try calling the hotel mentioned near the end and there was nobody registered under that "Shamus O'Tool" name. Which of course makes sense since the guy was obviously just ad-libbing.

..Al

Whoa - I didn't realize these games could go for so much.

N64 games are all over the place here in tucson. I need to check for these titles obviously.

I guess the joke was lost on me.

I was too busy looking for Atari gems

didn't realize a gold mine existed in N64

Ehh..don't get too excited, there aren't any N64 games that go for anywhere over $50. Harvest moon can get $40 on a good day, but we ain't talking Eli's Ladder values for any of these things just yet :P

Could we get a transcript of that. :lolblue:  It sounds pretty funny but I cant make out a bit of it.

I've listened to it a few times and there are some words (especially at the beginning) that I cannot make out. The rest of it is pretty clear, though. Would be amusing to transcribe it. :) One thing I forgot to mention is that Alex did try calling the hotel mentioned near the end and there was nobody registered under that "Shamus O'Tool" name. Which of course makes sense since the guy was obviously just ad-libbing.

..Al

You gotta wonder if this guy (and others like him) just call a bunch of numbers from newspaper ads as a hobby and/or outlet for their rantings. But I do like the sound of that Snapperoo! Pac-Man clone perhaps? :P

I think I actually might know who that is. If it's who I think it is, he is a good guy but he's definately not someone I would bother with mainly because he's not into giving anyone a good deal. Interesting that you would post this.. I highly doubt he comes here. Try DP.

It's definately a good idea to place an ad in the paper if you are looking to appeal to a wider audience. It's a really good way to meet other collectors as well. This ad is kind of humourous but it also makes me kick myself in the ass for not putting ads in the paper sooner. I guess I am not as hardcore as some people. Somehow I don't think that is a bad thing.

There are alot of seriously deranged freaks in the video game collecting community.

And don't forget you can sometimes get weird calls from newspaper ads.  Alex placed an ad in the local Austin paper looking for video games.  He returned home one day to find this message on his answering machine.  If you haven't listened to this before, you must stop what you're doing now and click the pretty blue link:

Pancake Boy

..Al

Thanks for that. That's gotta be funniest thing I'm going to hear all week.

-S

Pancake Boy

..Al

:lol:

I think he might be a Jerky Boys wannabe or a Willie P Richardson wannabe, but funny none the less..

the problem with putting ads like that in the paper, is it makes people think what the items may be worth and in the uk at least, everyone knows someone with ebay access. It also lets your 'competitors' know the value of items, i used to get a lot of bargains from car boot sales, untill the dealers caught on to the value of what i was picking up.

Haydn

Poor Pancake Boy is super rare, not to mention very enjoyable Burger Time clone from the people who did Happy Biscuit Man, probably a 9 if not a 10. I myself have dealt with Shamus on the Hike & Cyc Trail several times. Great to do business with.

On another note, I used to get loads of response out of wanted ads, but not now with all the Johny Come Latelys muscling in on my free ad papers.

I think I actually might know who that is. If it's who I think it is, he is a good guy but he's definately not someone I would bother with mainly because he's not into giving anyone a good deal. Interesting that you would post this.. I highly doubt he comes here. Try DP.

This ad ran in the paper at least five years ago (probably even longer, I just know it was well before AtariAge), and only in a local Austin newspaper. It was not posted online, so the person responding would have had to been getting the Austin newspaper at the time and be familiar with Austin (he mentions an actual hotel, as well as the "Hike & Bike Trail", which is a park along the river that runs through the middle of the city, probably not something someone would know as such unless they lived here). So unless this person you're thinking of lived in Austin at that point in time, I doubt it was him.

..Al

Al, no that is not what I was talking about.

Smith Falls is a town just north of Kingston, Ontario where I am located and I was responding to what long_shawn_silver had written originally at the beginning of the thread. There aren't really all that many collectors around here where I am and it's pretty easy to know most of them because we all frequent the same thrifts and flea markets. This guy is not a big Atari fan like most of us. Although we probably do have alot of Pancake Boys running around up here..