IGNORED

The Onyx Jr. Console from Microdigital - A 2600 with pause

TomBrazil

Hello guys,

I just added this to my collection.

It's the first Onyx console I've been able to find, and my fellow collectors think this is the rarest Brazilian Atari ever made. It was manufactured by a company called "Microdigital", which used the name "Microsoft" in its products. That is, untill Microsoft did something about, so, obviously, those are not real Microsoft products.

Anyway, the console looks great, it seems like just bought from a store, you can see by the pictures that it looks brand new. I also managed to get 2 games, and the unusual power connector probably indicates that I have an original power adaptor. I never saw this silver connector before.

Wonder if you guys can give me an idea of rarity and value for this console, I don't plan to sell it but I'd like to have an idea.

Other question: is this the only Atari 2600 with a "pause" switch? This is a highly desirable feature, I only saw this in the 7800 console, but it seems not to work with 2600 games.

post-6332-1112539800_thumb.jpg

post-6332-1112539801_thumb.jpg

post-6332-1112539802_thumb.jpg

post-6332-1112539803_thumb.jpg

Y'know, I've seen pictures of that unit before, but it just dawned on me: That case is almost a dead ringer for the Atari 600XL, excepting that it's a little more narrow, the side vents are slightly different, and it's green.

I have a couple of Onyx/Microsoft carts, but I've never found a unit.

Congratulatins, your Onyx Jr looks great. :D If I remember well I paid approx. US$70-80 for one loose with one controller in eBay.

I think the power supply isn't original, it looks like been made in Taiwan. But I never saw the original one, so...

Sergio

Other question: is this the only Atari 2600 with a "pause" switch?

Probably. None of the official 2600 models have one, nor does the VCS adapters for the 5200 and the Colecovision, nor does the Gemini.

This is a highly desirable feature, I only saw this in the 7800 console, but it seems not to work with 2600 games.

The pause button on the 7800 is the 2600 color/B&W switch in disguise. Left alone, it's in the "color" position. Held down, it's in the B&W position. You can see this for yourself by plugging in one of the older 2600 games that makes use of different color palettes (Combat, Space Invaders, etc.). Some of the later red-label 2600 games actually do make use of the pause button, since by then the 7800 was out and Atari assumed people would like the pause feature. When these games are played on a 2600, you have to set the switch to B&W and then color to pause the game, and then set it to B&W and back to color again to unpause the game. For something like the VCS adapter for the 5200 that doesn't have a color switch, you're out of luck.

I would imagine the Onyx's pause switch works at a lower level, perhaps locking the CPU in a no-op holding pattern.

Can you take pictures of the controllers? They look interesting!

Hi, I don't have the controllers :( very sad :|

Ouch! Sorry to hear that.. !

I would imagine the Onyx's pause switch works at a lower level, perhaps locking the CPU in a no-op holding pattern.

Implementing a pause on the 2600 is probably one of the least trivial tasks to do, due to the lack of a framebuffer, and doesn't just involve pausing the CPU. But theoretically, the Pause switch could just set a bit on some register that the games have to read and make use of in software.

I somehow doubt that this is what this unit is doing, but you never know...!

Regards!

Rasty.-

Hey guys,

Thanx everyone for the nice inputs.

skunkworx, nice explanation about the pause feature. Unfortunately, I wasnt able to test my Onyx system yet, it's in my game room waiting for me :) but I'll make some tests.

rasty, someone told me it's very easy to simply freeze the CPU, well, I'm not tech savvy enough to discuss this, and I'm yet to try Onyx pause button with some games, probably in 10 days from now since I'm business travelling.

Finally, I can say to Mindfield that I'm interested in some "Microsoft" carts to enhance my collection. If you are willing to trade them, please LMK.

skunkworx, nice explanation about the pause feature. Unfortunately, I wasnt able to test my Onyx system yet, it's in my game room waiting for me :) but I'll make some tests.

From your first post I understood you tested it already.. well, let us know when you actually do, this is interesting!!

rasty, someone told me it's very easy to simply freeze the CPU, well, I'm not tech savvy enough to discuss this, and I'm yet to try Onyx pause button with some games, probably in 10 days from now since I'm business travelling.

Freezing the CPU may be easy, but pausing a 2600 game from the hardware requires more than just that!!

Keep us posted...

Regards,

Rasty.-

Finally, I can say to Mindfield that I'm interested in some "Microsoft" carts to enhance my collection. If you are willing to trade them, please LMK.

I don't have any spares to offer, but you might want to check here for them; Luiz is a well-respected Brazilian collector/seller whom a number of us have bought from in the past. Always good service and good titles. And since you're already in Brazil shipping ought to be cheap. :-)

I don't have any spares to offer, but you might want to check here for them; Luiz is a well-respected Brazilian collector/seller whom a number of us have bought from in the past.  Always good service and good titles.  And since you're already in Brazil shipping ought to be cheap.  :-)

Hey thanks, Luiz Bonaccorsi is a fellow collector, I made some business with him before. I'm not in a hurry to pursue "Microsoft" titles, but I'll keep my eyes opened.

Mind cracking it open and take pics of the pause switch inner workings? I was in the process until I moved here to get a pause switch like the Onyx Jr. and I would like to see if it is just a modified CPU or if it is an actual circuit to actually freeze the processor to make it pause.

I'll bet the pause switch is just another input to the HALT line.

Wow, that thing is beautiful. I love the military theme. It makes for a great design.

Seeing as how the controllers were obviously made using copies of the Colecovision controller mold, I wouldn't be surprised if the case was a copy of the Atari 600XL or some other Atari system. Making plastic molds is expensive enough without having to make an original master design too.

I'll bet the pause switch is just another input to the HALT line.

Wow, that thing is beautiful.  I love the military theme.  It makes for a great design.

Seeing as how the controllers were obviously made using copies of the Colecovision controller mold, I wouldn't be surprised if the case was a copy of the Atari 600XL or some other Atari system.  Making plastic molds is expensive enough without having to make an original master design too.

We'll see, but me and CPUWIZ already tried the HALT and it just locked up. That's why I'm so interested (and I bet CPUWIZ is also) to figure out whats inside of it. Besides, if we can uncover the pause switch, I'm sure it'll be a big relief to the atari community for this very beautiful invention.

Mind cracking it open and take pics of the pause switch inner workings? I was in the process until I moved here to get a pause switch like the Onyx Jr. and I would like to see if it is just a modified CPU or if it is an actual circuit to actually freeze the processor to make it pause.

not a problem. but I'm travelling right now. So I plan to do this next week. I'll keep you guys posted!

We'll see, but me and CPUWIZ already tried the HALT and it just locked up. That's why I'm so interested (and I bet CPUWIZ is also) to figure out whats inside of it. Besides, if we can uncover the pause switch, I'm sure it'll be a big relief to the atari community for this very beautiful invention.

I wonder what would happen if you could stop the clock to the RIOT (while VBLANK is on). Since games wait for the timer to expire before starting the next frame, this would cause the same time value to be read over and over, stalling the game.

This would only work if RIOT is fully static, and wouldn't lose its settings without a clock.

-Bry

I wonder what would happen if you could stop the clock to the RIOT (while VBLANK is on). Since games wait for the timer to expire before starting the next frame, this would cause the same time value to be read over and over, stalling the game.

This would only work if RIOT is fully static, and wouldn't lose its settings without a clock.

-Bry

If it wasn't for the fact that I have none of my atari stuff here yet, I'd try it. however, I think right now its just best to wait for TomBrazil to post some pictures of the board. Now you got me all excited, I sure hope my atari stuff comes in soon from TMO, and I get a room anytime soon!

Not everything uses the RIOT timer for vblank. It's just as valid to count scan lines with WSYNC during vblank. All the RIOT does is save you the trouble of counting scan lines if you need to do a lot of computations.

I have two of these units that I haven't been able to get working because of lack of proper equipment and lack of knowledge. I opened one up last night and took some pictures of the top of the board. This is the first time I'm posting pictures to the forum, so please forgive me if I do something wrong. I don't know how to add more than one per post either.

The pause switch is the fourth from the left.