IGNORED

The Onyx Jr. Console from Microdigital - A 2600 with pause

TomBrazil

• 3 weeks later...
Dear friends, here they are photos of the console Onyx Junior with the original controls and AC adapter.

When the game is in "Pause" (on) the TV is with the dark screen (black).

I wait that they appreciate.

866243[/snapback]

:lust: :lust: :lust: :lust:

I want.................

• 2 weeks later...
So, is anyone going to try this? I am intrigued to the fullest! If you need an Atari to test this on, I have one to offer.

866745[/snapback]

The problem lies in making the 6502C work on the 6507, which basically requires you to reroute the different address lines to the different pins. The only way around this is either solder with wires, or take a spare atari, take out the chip holder thing, solder the wires to the right spots, then just clip in the 6502C.

• 8 months later...

Sorry, I know that this topic is old but I bought recently another one joystick for the console Onyx Junior.

Joystick is different therefore has a type of rubber articulation. (similar to joystick of Atari)

It is interesting therefore protects of the dust and objects.

In the announcement from magazine of Microdigital appears joystick with a similar finishing.

I only want to inform the variation of joystick for the community of the AA that if interests for this console.

post-7030-1139944736_thumb.jpg

post-7030-1139944780_thumb.jpg

post-7030-1139944801_thumb.jpg

But you will need an Atari-style 6502C because a regular 6502 doesn't have the HALT line, which is required for 2600 WSYNC to work.

851540[/snapback]

The 6507 doesn't have the HALT line either. What it has is READY, which is also available on the 6502.

That having been said, I would expect that the best ways to do a "pause" would be to either...

• [*]stop the 3.5xMhz crystal in a predictable phase so as to avoid "runt" pulses. This may require that the crystal not be attached to the TIA; I don't know whether an NTSC TIA would mind being driven by a square wave, but since PAL-60 Brazillian clones wouldn't use the 3.5xMHz crystal for colorburst that would seen a non-issue. I also don't know whether the 6507, RIOT, or TIA would object to having the clock stopped; even dynamic-logic devices often permit the clock to be stopped in one state (just not any others).[*]Synchronize the "pause" button with VSYNC, and use it to gate READY to the 6507. Most games probably won't use the RIOT during VSYNC and wouldn't mind if it got trashed; even most games that do use it would probably recover after a frame.

But you will need an Atari-style 6502C because a regular 6502 doesn't have the HALT line, which is required for 2600 WSYNC to work.

851540[/snapback]

The 6507 doesn't have the HALT line either. What it has is READY, which is also available on the 6502.

That having been said, I would expect that the best ways to do a "pause" would be to either...

• [*]stop the 3.5xMhz crystal in a predictable phase so as to avoid "runt" pulses. This may require that the crystal not be attached to the TIA; I don't know whether an NTSC TIA would mind being driven by a square wave, but since PAL-60 Brazillian clones wouldn't use the 3.5xMHz crystal for colorburst that would seen a non-issue. I also don't know whether the 6507, RIOT, or TIA would object to having the clock stopped; even dynamic-logic devices often permit the clock to be stopped in one state (just not any others).[*]Synchronize the "pause" button with VSYNC, and use it to gate READY to the 6507. Most games probably won't use the RIOT during VSYNC and wouldn't mind if it got trashed; even most games that do use it would probably recover after a frame.

1018566[/snapback]

Very interesting...

anyone want to try this? Because to be honest I'm kinda lost when it gets this much into the electronics.