IGNORED

what is your #1 most wanted atari 2600 item right now!

Rick Weis

the last auction for a complete set was completely unrealistic on its reserve price.

Do you know what the reserve was? I just looked to see and it was not an "unreasonable" (I am sure someone thinks differently). That Math one gets pricey by itself.

Cassidy

938150[/snapback]

US$ 399.99, according to the seller. How about that? The highest bid (mine) was below US$ 200.

938153[/snapback]

I'd say $399 is unreasonable. Most of those are fairly common. I don't think I paid more than $10-15 for any except for Basic Math. Maybe a little bit more for the Indy 500 with oversized box. But still less $200 total easy. In fact I've seen Basic Math around $25 before. I bet the seller had less than $200 in the set himself.

the last auction for a complete set was completely unrealistic on its reserve price.

Do you know what the reserve was? I just looked to see and it was not an "unreasonable" (I am sure someone thinks differently). That Math one gets pricey by itself.

Cassidy

938150[/snapback]

US$ 399.99, according to the seller. How about that? The highest bid (mine) was below US$ 200.

938153[/snapback]

I'd say $399 is unreasonable. Most of those are fairly common. I don't think I paid more than $10-15 for any except for Basic Math. Maybe a little bit more for the Indy 500 with oversized box. But still less $200 total easy. In fact I've seen Basic Math around $25 before. I bet the seller had less than $200 in the set himself.

938399[/snapback]

I paid well under $100 for my complete set, though admittedly it took me a couple years. The most I paid for a single one was $25 for Indy 500 and that was mostly because it had the outer box. (The auction you guys are talking about didn't even have that, did it?)

• 3 weeks later...
The Good Luck, Charlie Brown ROM!

939883[/snapback]

[Gingerly raises guilty hand]. This is my first time posting here (hopefully not my last), so I'll try to explain myself as succinctly as possible. I am the owner of the Good Luck Charlie Brown prototype. The ROM isn't dumped for 2 simple reasons:

1. I dropped out of vid collecting around '99 or 2000, and I never had the technology to dump the game when I did collect (although I came close).

2. I now live in California, and the cart itself is packed up and in storage (with my entire collection) at my mum's house back in the Midwest.

I do have every intention of dumping the ROM (always have - back in the late '90s I was trying to set something up with Russ Perry to have it dumped), but I confess that doing so has rarely (if ever) crossed my mind over the past several years. Only by chance (and some unusual freetime this afternoon) did I stumble across this site, see this post, and decide I better get my act in gear and let people know what's going on (there was a moment where a great "oh yeah!" flashed across my thoughts).

Anyway, I apologize for bogarting something that is a part of Atari history, and hence really belongs to everyone. I don't make it back to the Midwest much, but on my next trip I will be sure to grab the cart and find someone that can make a copy of the ROM (or possibly sell it, but this is pretty unlikely). Hopefully this will happen in the next 6 - 9 months.

Anyway, I see that there are some screenshot pics from the game on the main site. There used to be pics of the cart itself which I originally sent to Tim Duarte at the 2600 Connection. Not sure what happened to them. The game chip itself was unusually sized (much larger than an ordinary game chip) and looked as if it had extra memory, or something, hanging on the sides (the game was in fact too bulky to fit inside the normal plastic casing so the casing bulged out at the side). This always made me wonder if there were more screens or more gameplay tucked away inside the chip. If there was, I could never find it. Only the one screen with limited gameplay. Anyway, I'm digressing...

hope all is well,

Matt

Edited by mattkain

The Good Luck, Charlie Brown ROM!

939883[/snapback]

[Gingerly raises guilty hand]. This is my first time posting here (hopefully not my last), so I'll try to explain myself as succinctly as possible. I am the owner of the Good Luck Charlie Brown prototype. The ROM isn't dumped for 2 simple reasons:

1. I dropped out of vid collecting around '99 or 2000, and I never had the technology to dump the game when I did collect (although I came close).

2. I now live in California, and the cart itself is packed up and in storage (with my entire collection) at my mum's house back in the Midwest.

I do have every intention of dumping the ROM (always have - back in the late '90s I was trying to set something up with Russ Perry to have it dumped), but I confess that doing so has rarely (if ever) crossed my mind over the past several years. Only by chance (and some unusual freetime this afternoon) did I stumble across this site, see this post, and decide I better get my act in gear and let people know what's going on (there was a moment where a great "oh yeah!" flashed across my thoughts).

Anyway, I apologize for bogarting something that is a part of Atari history, and hence really belongs to everyone. I don't make it back to the Midwest much, but on my next trip I will be sure to grab the cart and find someone that can make a copy of the ROM (or possibly sell it, but this is pretty unlikely). Hopefully this will happen in the next 6 - 9 months.

Anyway, I see that there are some screenshot pics from the game on the main site. There used to be pics of the cart itself which I originally sent to Tim Duarte at the 2600 Connection. Not sure what happened to them. The game chip itself was unusually sized (much larger than an ordinary game chip) and looked as if it had extra memory, or something, hanging on the sides (the game was in fact too bulky to fit inside the normal plastic casing so the casing bulged out at the side). This always made me wonder if there were more screens or more gameplay tucked away inside the chip. If there was, I could never find it. Only the one screen with limited gameplay. Anyway, I'm digressing...

hope all is well,

Matt

951123[/snapback]

:-o

Sorry for hijacking this thread (I should probably start a new one), but I dug around for pics this evening (even pulled out some old zip disks that I had to blow the dust off of). I wasn't able to come up with much, but for those interested...

Here's a pic of the Good Luck Charlie Brown cart that I think might be already floating around the internet somewhere:

http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/bc/491a8fb0/bc/My...CG.zVDBwgpX0PXz

Here's a pic of the Snoopy prototype that was found at the same time:

http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/bc/491a8fb0/bc/My...CG.zVDBm1y61veT

I also noticed that some places list the game as being discovered in '97. This is not true - it was actually discovered in '96 at an obscure little indoor flea market in Kenosha, Wisconsin. Total cost for the 2 carts: $2.00.

Matt

Amazing stuff!

Oh, and...

I always thought that you didn't want to share this (almost legendary) ROM.

... let's get rid of this myth of any 2600 ROMs being hoarded, once and for all!

The King of Consoles attracts only good and honest people as its followers :)

(unlike NES collecting) :evil:

Cheers,

Marco

I always thought that you didn't want to share this (almost legendary) ROM.

951360[/snapback]

No, no, no. It's never been an issue of selfishness or wanting to drive the cart's price up so that I could sell it in one epic ebay auction. It's been nothing more than chance, circumstance, and bad timing that have lead to the cart never being dumped (I like to place the blame on college and the fact that it has been less than easy to find a way to contact me for the past decade). As I mentioned briefly above, I feel strongly that the game is a historical artifact whose contents, in an abstract sense, don't really belong to me. It's a piece of history. If I dare, a piece of art (although an unfinished one). It's contents belong to everyone. In many ways it is my obligation to ensure that the cart's contents are dumped for the simple sake of aiding in the research and preservation of videogame history.

Enough of that - I'm sure my words will hold more weight once I produce a dump of the ROM. Anyway, my sister is coming out to visit me in a little over 2 months. There is a chance that I can persuade her to dig through a few boxes and secure the GLCB cart. We'll see.

Matt

Hey Matt,

Is the Snoopy proto an early version of the Snoopy and the Red Baron game that was released? :?:  :?:

951541[/snapback]

Hey guy,

It's hard to say. I never owned a version of Snoopy other than the prototype version so I have nothing to compare it to. Still from what I've read and from screenshots that I have seen I would say that the prototype Snoopy is probably complete. Things like stages, scoring, etc. all seem to be in place. Nonetheless, without comparing it to the released version I cannot be 100% certain.

However, it was found with the Good Luck Charlie Brown cart which is is definitely *not* complete so there is the possibility that they were both still in some unfinished stage of development. Who knows? Maybe Snoopy was just finished much earlier than GLCB and a completed copy of Snoopy was sent out with the partially completed version of GLCB (god knows where these carts were going or how they wound up in Wisconsin of all places). I'll try to get my hands on the Snoopy cart when I get the Charlie Brown. That way someone with more knowledge and a released version of Snoopy can do the comparison and determine for sure if they are the same.

hope all is well,

Matt

Wow! It's nice to finally put a name to the collector. :) Good Luck Charlie Brown is one of those prototypes I thought would be lost forever, it's nice that there is now a chance that we will finally see this rom released. There's so much mystery surrounding this game, mostly stemming from the fact that it was only shown briefly, disappeared, and never mentioned again. I can't wait to dig into this prototype and figure out how to play it. Although it may look incomplete, it's possible that there is a game hiding in there. Remember, Snow White was considered to be incomplete and unplayable before a better look was taken at it...

You can see my page about GLCB here: http://www.atariprotos.com/2600/software/c...harliebrown.htm sadly I don't have much information on it, and just about everything I know came from the 2600 Connection article. As to how it ended up in Wisconsin, is anyone's guess. If it was really dumped for a friend of his family (as the rumor goes), then it could be that his family lived in Wisconsin.

That Snoopy and the Red Baron proto is the final version. You can tell by the date.

Tempest

Wow! It's nice to finally put a name to the collector. :)  Good Luck Charlie Brown is one of those prototypes I thought would be lost forever, it's nice that there is now a chance that we will finally see this rom released.  There's so much mystery surrounding this game, mostly stemming from the fact that it was only shown briefly, disappeared, and never mentioned again.  I can't wait to dig into this prototype and figure out how to play it.  Although it may look incomplete, it's possible that there is a game hiding in there.  Remember, Snow White was considered to be incomplete and unplayable before a better look was taken at it...

951552[/snapback]

Hey man,

Really enjoyed looking at your site. Nice to see someone going to such serious effort to document all the proto info out there. I'm not familiar with the story behind Snow White, but it would be terrific if there was more gameplay hidden away in the GLCB cart. Personally I could never figure the game out. I could never determine what the goal was, if any, of the first kite flying screen was. There was no score counter - only a timer that seemed to tick up indefinitely. There were plenty of obstacles to avoid, but nothing seemed to be gained by keeping the kite up, no matter how long you did it for. I always wondered if there was something related to the lightning or if there was some strange button/joystick combination that needed to be performed. Has anyone spoken with the programmer to see if he remembers how the gameplay mechanics were supposed to function?

Matt

edit: on an unrelated note I used to have a strange version of River Rescue for the Atari 400/800 computer that had a "demo cartridge" label. I always meant to find out if this was a prototype or some type of weird promotional cart. I might still have that as well - it might be of some interest to your proto archives.

Edited by mattkain

Wow! It's nice to finally put a name to the collector. :)  Good Luck Charlie Brown is one of those prototypes I thought would be lost forever, it's nice that there is now a chance that we will finally see this rom released.  There's so much mystery surrounding this game, mostly stemming from the fact that it was only shown briefly, disappeared, and never mentioned again.  I can't wait to dig into this prototype and figure out how to play it.  Although it may look incomplete, it's possible that there is a game hiding in there.  Remember, Snow White was considered to be incomplete and unplayable before a better look was taken at it...

951552[/snapback]

Hey man,

Really enjoyed looking at your site. Nice to see someone going to such serious effort to document all the proto info out there. I'm not familiar with the story behind Snow White, but it would be terrific if there was more gameplay hidden away in the GLCB cart. Personally I could never figure the game out. I could never determine what the goal was, if any, of the first kite flying screen was. There was no score counter - only a timer that seemed to tick up indefinitely. There were plenty of obstacles to avoid, but nothing seemed to be gained by keeping the kite up, no matter how long you did it for. I always wondered if there was something related to the lightning or if there was some strange button/joystick combination that needed to be performed. Has anyone spoken with the programmer to see if he remembers how the gameplay mechanics were supposed to function?

Matt

edit: on an unrelated note I used to have a strange version of River Rescue for the Atari 400/800 computer that had a "demo cartridge" label. I always meant to find out if this was a prototype or some type of weird promotional cart. I might still have that as well - it might be of some interest to your proto archives.

951561[/snapback]

The story behind Snow White was that it was discovered a long time back, and since the original person who discovered it couldn't figure out some of the gameplay it was thought to be incomplete and mostly unplayable. When it was finally released I went through the game and figured out how to play all the scenes and discovered that, although still not 100% complete, it was very much playable. The same thing happened with Looney Tunes Hotel for the 5200 (although I had help on that one :) ).

Once the rom is released the code can be examined to see how much game really exists. Sometimes there's more game in the code than can be seen on the screen (such as is the case with Dune for the 2600). By this I mean things may have been completed and put into the game code, but were never activated in the game. Although from your description the game does indeed sound like a very early Work In Progress cart. I have a version of Snoopy and the Red Baron that looks like that (timer counts up all the time and nothing to really do).

Unfortunately no one has ever found the programmer. Supposedly he lives out in the middle of nowhere and doesn't want to be bothered with any Atari stuff, but the source of that information isn't reliable. I know of a few Atari programmers who would like to get in touch with Chris, so I was actively looking for him several years ago but didn't turn up anything.

My best guess on the gameplay (from reading the catalog description), is that you were supposed to fly the kite around and avoid obstacles for as long as you could (which is probably why the counter keeps going up). I'd guess that eventually hitting one of the obstacles would cause you to lose your kite, and you'd have to earn another one by raking leaves (which doesn't sound like it was ever programmed).

That River Rescue cart sounds like a review copy. It could be different from the final version, but there's no way to know until it is dumped.

Tempest

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...