IGNORED

New Q*bert Atari 7800 Homebrew

Albert

NICE WORK!! Coily is super quick and the green balls are there too. He actually stayed on the pyramid the one time I tried to deek him with the disc. This is looking great. :cool:

<edit> I got to level 2 board 1 aftre some practice. After taking a snack break I tried again and this time something really bizarre happened. I was on level 1 board 1 and I was trying to finish up. I was about to jump onto a disk to kill Coily and I accidentally jumped off the level. Just then, Coily disappeared and I mysteriously landed on a disk in the middle of the pyramid and flew off the left side of the screen. I then continued to fly off the screen and then reappeared flying onto the right side of the screen and then landed at the top. And now for the interesting part.. there was a square black hole in the pyramid where the disc had appeared from out of nowhere. I tried jumping on it but nothing happened.

Was this supposed to happen?

Edited by birdie3

I was on level 1 board 1 and I was trying to finish up. I was about to jump onto a disk to kill Coily and I accidentally jumped off the level. Just then, Coily disappeared and I mysteriously landed on a disk in the middle of the pyramid and flew off the left side of the screen. I then continued to fly off the screen and then reappeared flying onto the right side of the screen and then landed at the top. And now for the interesting part.. there was a square black hole in the pyramid where the disc had appeared from out of nowhere.

I saw the same thing, on level 1 board 4. I had just gotten killed by Coily and was starting my next life. I didn't jump off the board, but suddenly I was flying off on a disk, and that same black square appeared.

I didn't jump off the board, but suddenly I was flying off on a disk, and that same black square appeared.
Actual this same problem has occurred for me on the original version I posted. I only had it happen once on it. I have had it happen a couple times in recent versions. On my list of things to look at.

I like the unpronouncable name myself.  Here is a label I designed for it (but with the original name).

840762[/snapback]

Not a lot of visible changes. Minor cosmetic fixes and reset score each game. Complete rewrote sprite engine. Now uses less CPU but still hoping to optimize some more. Game should not slow down when a lot of objects are on the board including coily when you ride the disc due to the new engine.

qbert.zip

Not a lot of visible changes.  Minor cosmetic fixes and reset score each game.  Complete rewrote sprite engine.  Now uses less CPU but still hoping to optimize some more.  Game should not slow down when a lot of objects are on the board including coily when you ride the disc due to the new engine.

Looks really good! Seems easier, but maybe I'm just getting better :)

Not a lot of visible changes.  Minor cosmetic fixes and reset score each game.  Complete rewrote sprite engine.  Now uses less CPU but still hoping to optimize some more.  Game should not slow down when a lot of objects are on the board including coily when you ride the disc due to the new engine.

Looks really good! Seems easier, but maybe I'm just getting better :)

845088[/snapback]

Fixed problem of sometimes being able to ride a disk from the middle of the board (I think). Let me know if it still happens for anyone.

qbert.zip

• 2 weeks later...
Hey that Sam guy isn't very nice ;)

Great job so far, are there any plans to add Pokey support?

853032[/snapback]

I am undecided on that currently. I have experimented some with AtariVox support but haven't really got any sounds of it I really like but it may just be a matter of some trial and error. I just can't get a range of pitch I really like (at least compared to arcade q*bert)

I think I have figured out how the arcade orders the release of various objects, so maybe I can get it to playing more arcade like soon. I need add support for another ball and allow balls to move at different speeds yet too.

Interesting A.I. & Gameplay Info here:

http://www.atarimagazines.com/cva/v1n2/qbert.php

Some points to note-

Red Balls:

-...instead of bouncing southwest down the face of the pyramid for six straight bounces, a ball will more likely bounce southwest once, southeast twice, southwest twice, southeast once. And the balls almost never bounce straight down along the edge of the pyramid and onto the corner squares. That means that they most often bounce around the center of the playfield, so you are usually safe from them in or near the lower corners.

Coily:

-If he is three squares or more away from you, he generally won't follow.

-You move faster than Coily...

Ugg and Wrong-Way:

-...on the third round. That is when Ugg and Wrong-way appear.

-Notice that the red balls don't appear during the third round. In general, if Ugg and Wrong-way are on the screen, you don't have to worry about the balls, and vice versa. You don't have to deal with both sets of dangers at the same time until much later in the game.

-...several Uggs and several Wrong-ways can patrol the pyramid simultaneously.

Sam and Slick:

-They seem to appear when you are about two squares away from completing a rack.

-Even though you are slightly faster than they are, Sam and Slick are slippery. If you try to jump on them from below, while they are jumping toward you, you can "jump through" them, and miss them entirely.

Levels:

Q*bert features nine levels, with four rounds (or racks) on each level. The first five levels demonstrate your five basic goals:

Level 1: Hop on a square once to change it to its target color.

Level 2: Hop on a square once to change it to its intermediate color, hop off, and hop back on to change it to its target color.

Level 3: Hopping on a square once will change it to the proper color, but if you hop on that square again, it changes back to the original color.

Level 4: Like Level 2, you must hop on each square twice. But if you return to a completed square, it returns to the intermediate color.

Level 5: Again, this is like Level 2, but returning to a completed square changes the color back to the original color. That means that you must start all over on that square. (Levels 6, 7, 8 and 9 are like Level 5, only faster.)

I hope this helps with any developments, kenfused. Great work! Thank you so much for working on this project and generously sharing it with us.

-Trebor

Edited by Trebor

The not so fair annoying Sam version attached.

853019[/snapback]

Sam looks great, but comes out way too early and way too often. Was that by design?

Ken - If I could recommend one change, graphically, it would be this:

Q*bert needs to get a "Buns of Steel" workout going. He's got a Big Butt. Maybe it's just the angular cut shape, but I thought his rear end when seen from him jumping upward on the board was more rounded and less protruding.

At any rate - I'm SOOOO glad I got he CC2, what wiht all these FANTASTIC ports you guys are doing.

Thanks you a million times.

Implemented arcade object release order for the first two levels (8 screens).

Except:

(1) No Ugh or WrongWay yet. A red ball will be released instead.

(2) Currently no speed changes between levels yet (in game speed, ball speed or ball release rate). This makes the game a little easier.

Levels 3+ will use the object release order of Level 2, Round 4 currently.

I think there is a problem in coily's collision detection I need to look at since I have occasionally jumped through him, and one died when I didn't think I should have.

qbert.zip

Looking good so far.  The only complaint I have so far is Coily seems to move too fast.  I think Coily should have a bit of a pause when he jumps on a cube.  Then he jumps.

857282[/snapback]

Coily is currently kinda fast. I need to do a lot with speed and vary speeds on different levels and have balls be able to move at different speeds.

New verison for this evening. The Green ball is no longer just a decoration. Object release order should now match the arcade (at normal setting) for all levels (except Ugh and Wrongway still just cause red balls to appear instead)

qbert.zip