IGNORED

New Q*bert Atari 7800 Homebrew

Albert

Another name suggestion, how about adding some curly hair to him and calling it Pubert? :twisted:

How about no?

860486[/snapback]

Pubert it is!

860646[/snapback]

Just kidding :) . Very funny, but then some of the other characters would have to change.

Attached is a version with preliminary support for Ugh (no wrong way yet). Still needs some work, plus he moves too fast since variable speed ball support hasn't been added yet.

There are lots of internal changes so let me know if anything has been broken. I also fixed a few bugs. Hopefully you cannot jump through coily anymore.

qbert.zip

Another name suggestion, how about adding some curly hair to him and calling it Pubert? :twisted:

How about no?

860486[/snapback]

Pubert it is!

860646[/snapback]

Hmm, that would mean Pubert would be hunted down by crabs and genital warts. Naw, just like some sicko hack it when you're done. :P

Edited by Bakasama

I just tried Q-Bert the first time on my (PAL) device.

It runs good except a very strong color flicker.

Fortunately the Prosystem emulator shows the same if you switch region to PAL so you can see what I mean.

861078[/snapback]

Added PAL detection. No speed compensation is made yet, but it should now center on the display and there should be no DLI problems on a PAL system. Seems to work on EMU7800, but would be nice if someone could confirm it on the real thing. Also restored enemy order to the proper order on the first screen.

qbert.zip

great work... seems if you have a sprite engine running for one game f.e. beef drop than you can easily reuse that... cool...

862987[/snapback]

Q*bert does have the complication in that it has to move sprites behine the playfield though. That means the playfield is not necessarily the first item in the display list for a line.

Are you going to add support for the AtariVox?  Voice .. sound effects and high score page?

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

862631[/snapback]

In the 7800 programming forum I posted a test version that would make use the Atarivox when Q*bert falls off the board and when he gets hit. I really couldn't get the pitches I wanted but may play with it some more eventually.

I just tried Q-Bert the first time on my (PAL) device.

It runs good except a very strong color flicker.

Fortunately the Prosystem emulator shows the same if you switch region to PAL so you can see what I mean.

861078[/snapback]

Added PAL detection. No speed compensation is made yet, but it should now center on the display and there should be no DLI problems on a PAL system. Seems to work on EMU7800, but would be nice if someone could confirm it on the real thing. Also restored enemy order to the proper order on the first screen.

861239[/snapback]

Now it works perfect on Pal devices.

Well done Ken.

In the 7800 programming forum I posted a test version that would make use the Atarivox when Q*bert falls off the board and when he gets hit.  I really couldn't get the pitches I wanted but may play with it some more eventually.

863034[/snapback]

Please do! And send Alex Herbert a PM if you have any questions! He is checking in periodically.

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

Hmm, nice.  I am a little disappointed with the look of Ugg and Wrong Way.

I got a question about the sprites.  How big are they and what's the maxium number colors they can use?

864877[/snapback]

8x16

3 colors

Ugh, Wrong Way, Coily, and Purple Ball are using the same palette.

They eventually also won't move staight horizonally like they are now.

Here's my edited sprites for Ugg and Wrong Way.

I'm not too sure if are good but at least they look better than the current sprites.

This is a gif with the pixels in two sizes, actual size and 2X.

The other gif is an edited screenshot with these sprites in the shot.

post-4750-1118005768.gif

post-4750-1118005799_thumb.jpg

I'm not too sure if are good but at least they look better than the current sprites.

868483[/snapback]

I would also need edits for them facing down. It it not a simple flip since their feet need to generally stay parallel to the same direction when flipped. Flips and rotates might do it, but being tha the pixels are not square they need to be redited.

Edit: I might be wrong on explaining it. But for the first one at least, a horizonal flip, a verical flip or diagnol (top left to lower right) flip didn't see to look right.

Edited by kenfused

868483[/snapback]

I would also need edits for them facing down. It it not a simple flip since their feet need to generally stay parallel to the same direction when flipped. Flips and rotates might do it, but being tha the pixels are not square they need to be redited.

Edit: I might be wrong on explaining it. But for the first one at least, a horizonal flip, a verical flip or diagnol (top left to lower right) flip didn't see to look right.

869400[/snapback]

Okay, I'll work on some more edits. It's suprising a little more difficult since, in the arcade game, Ugg and Wrong Way have a three frames of animation when jumping.

Edited by Bakasama

Okay, I'll work on some more edits.  It's suprising a little more difficult since, in the arcade game, Ugg and Wrong Way have a three frames of animation when jumping.

869585[/snapback]

I can do three frames. I have enough space left for 50+ more sprite shapes. When is the third frame used? When they are on the cube? My original images were more or less taken from the atari 8-bit/5200 version and I added one color and never spent much time cleaning them up.

Okay, I'll work on some more edits.  It's suprising a little more difficult since, in the arcade game, Ugg and Wrong Way have a three frames of animation when jumping.

869585[/snapback]

I can do three frames. I have enough space left for 50+ more sprite shapes. When is the third frame used? When they are on the cube? My original images were more or less taken from the atari 8-bit/5200 version and I added one color and never spent much time cleaning them up.

869592[/snapback]

If that's the case, I'll do a lot screenshots and find out how many frames of each object has and adapt the sprites into something the 7800 can use. That's going to take while but it should make Qbert different from what it is now.

Edited by Bakasama